PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cerebrosis: Reflavoring for Pathfinder

Xuldarinar
2015-08-31, 07:48 PM
Really, as the title. I'd like to see done an update of cerebrosis to pathfinder. Not mechanically speaking, as that would be simple enough to update for the most part, but in terms of the fluff, given there is no far realm in pathfinder but rather things of it are applied to the tapestry. Though there are things that make reference to an "Outside".

Points to reflavor, with notes on what they are in D&D.

Cerebrotic Blots: Regions where the far realm touches upon reality, creating what one could describe as a layered planar cyst. At its center, theres a slime lined pit that, if one falls into it, drops people into the Amoebic Sea, in the far realm.

Rite of the Blot: A ritual done to become a cerebrant (gaining the cerebrosis feat), requiring learning about it, and either sitting and meditating for a day by the pit in a cerebrotic blot, or a week away from it.

Psyren
2015-08-31, 08:39 PM
When you make these threads, it might help if you say what book(s) everything you're looking to refluff is coming from - not everyone has immersed themselves in Far Realm lore (with good reason :smalltongue:)

Xuldarinar
2015-08-31, 08:51 PM
When you make these threads, it might help if you say what book(s) everything you're looking to refluff is coming from - not everyone has immersed themselves in Far Realm lore (with good reason :smalltongue:)

Fair point.

Cerebrosis, and pretty much everything that I listed along with it as relevant to it, are out of Dragon Magazine 330.

Xuldarinar
2015-09-02, 09:34 PM
Anyone have any ideas for reflavoring these elements to pathfinder? No?

Psyren
2015-09-02, 10:33 PM
Not sure if this is the case for everyone else, but I don't have that Dragon Mag so I can't help...

Xuldarinar
2015-09-03, 07:28 AM
Not sure if this is the case for everyone else, but I don't have that Dragon Mag so I can't help...

Well, I know most wouldn't have it or access to the information. But someone is bound to. And even if not, the question really lies in.. where to flip it to from a far-realm centric thing. To describe to help...

You have regions where someplace else touches upon the world, creating a hostile and alien landscape within it, and at its center is a hole that drops you over an ocean in the most hostile place imaginable. In essence, if you go there, its time to get out a new character sheet. Within the regions touched by this other place, there is an "alien" influence. Closer in, the sky seems to shift and melt and it rains a thick and vile fluid that can spontaneously form into creatures made of the stuff if it collects in pools. natives of this other place also frequent these regions, given the horrific portal there that lies in its center.

Additionally, there are emotional influences within the area. agreements are more prone to erupt, and turn to violence, even if it is fleeting. Healing spells also become corrupted, providing an increasing chance that a healed wound would possess some vestigial body part, such as an eye, a hand, a tongue, a mouth, a tail.. so on.

Reflavoring, largely would be deciding where would this connect to if not the far-realm? If it is a place that the aberrant denizens wouldn't be present, then some mechanical changes would be need to be changed (at least the monster encounter tables would need a logical change, but thats already given)

When it comes to the rite of the blot, along with cerebrotic spells, that would just have to follow along with the reflavoring of cerebrotic blots. Really, its.. where and why. Is it a planet far off in the Dark Tapestry? Is it to outside of reality? Is it between planes? Is it to a plane known, such as an obscure layer of the abyss? Really its... what direction do you think makes the most sense given the information above?