PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Those neutral earth clerics, could they?...

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-01, 06:18 AM
I just had a bit of a paranoid idea.

Those earth priest people that build the place are not protected by the magics and rules of the moot. This means Durkon can attack them. Those guys could now attack Roy, because bodyguards (presumably, and based on what happened to McStabby) don't get the same kind of protection as high priests.

But since they are not a real official part of the moot, does that mean there's no limitation on who they can attack either? Could those earth clerics, say, attack and turn (with a little help from Durkon's staff) the high priests of demigods, using their new vampire powers and refilled spell slots? Could Durkula be getting around the "no attacking other high priests" rule this way?

EDIT: Although that does mean they'd now have to be the high priests of different demi-gods related to hell? This train of thought is getting weird...

Doctor West
2015-09-01, 06:32 AM
If he did use charges to hasten their vampirization, he won't be using them in so direct a capacity. First of all, we saw back when Durkon got vamped that his spell slots did NOT come back until he prayed that night, so at the least Gontor is running close to dry. Secondly, given how easily Darkon overcame them both, they're likely not that powerful. No protection under the Godsmoot rules means the room full of presumably high level clerics ought to be able to Turn Undead them easily.

diremage
2015-09-01, 06:39 AM
I just had a bit of a paranoid idea.

Those earth priest people that build the place are not protected by the magics and rules of the moot. This means Durkon can attack them. Those guys could now attack Roy, because bodyguards (presumably, and based on what happened to McStabby) don't get the same kind of protection as high priests.

But since they are not a real official part of the moot, does that mean there's no limitation on who they can attack either? Could those earth clerics, say, attack and turn (with a little help from Durkon's staff) the high priests of demigods, using their new vampire powers and refilled spell slots? Could Durkula be getting around the "no attacking other high priests" rule this way?

If I had to guess, I'd say the still-living priests of elemental earth (if any) would be looking to discreetly buff and heal Roy, since they likely didn't know what the point of the moot was and, in absence of a directive from the Lord of Earth, would be interested in keeping their own hides intact. That also goes for the half the high priests -- anyone who can cast discreetly is going to be doing so.

On the one hand, the other vampires, being now minions of Hel, should be quick to rush to Durkula's defense, since they are his "real" bodyguards. I would not be at all surprised if we see a sudden rush of vampires into the main sanctum. On the other hand, the sanctum being full of clerics and the other vampires NOT being invited as such, I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a sudden, massive volley of turn/destroy undeads (Edit: Ninja'd, heh). And if any of the high priests were willing to sacrifice themselves, they could probably get a Mass Heal off before being destroyed (targeting, of course, both Roy and Durkula). But a wise cleric would save that for late in the fight, when it would make a real difference.

I would say that we're in for a bunch of panels of Roy and Durkula battering each other, but that's probably not very interesting. Let's cut to Belkar and see whether he turned into a vampire or not.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-01, 06:42 AM
Let's cut to Belkar and see whether he turned into a vampire or not.

He wasn't drained, he just got bitten and pushed out of a window, not enough to make him a vampire under these rules.

ISitOnGnomes
2015-09-01, 12:30 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that there was exactly 1 cleric to a demigod that showed up. The 2 earth clerics that were vamped will have been given spirits for 2 different demigods that are as equally unloved as Hel, thus swinging the vote against Roy, and further increasing the pressure on Roy.

Durkula will continue to just stall Roy until he can secure the vote, or at least that is his plan.

Silverionmox
2015-09-03, 11:38 AM
If I had to guess, I would say that there was exactly 1 cleric to a demigod that showed up. The 2 earth clerics that were vamped will have been given spirits for 2 different demigods that are as equally unloved as Hel, thus swinging the vote against Roy, and further increasing the pressure on Roy.

Durkula will continue to just stall Roy until he can secure the vote, or at least that is his plan.

If I'm not mistaken Hel has to create the spirits for dwarven vampires, so that would be impossible then.

ISitOnGnomes
2015-09-03, 11:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken Hel has to create the spirits for dwarven vampires, so that would be impossible then.

She tells HPoH that all of the spirits are birthed in her court, but what exactly that means could be open to interpretation. I think that the vampires being more than a minor nuisance to all the high level clerics in the room would make for a more enjoyable narrative.