PDA

View Full Version : Roll20 and Map Making

Draco_Lord
2015-09-01, 08:27 AM
Hi, recently due to some real life events I have had to move my group from meeting in person, to meeting on roll20. I am not very familiar with the online system, but after a look through think it will work rather well for what I want. The only problem is, I am not sure on how to make a map. So, I was wondering, does anyone know of a good way to make maps for roll 20? I have photoshop, and am fairly good at using it. Or an online source might be useful.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-01, 08:58 AM
There are a few online tools... I believe Dundjinni and Pyromancers are popular, but you might get better results from photoshop.

This thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1407) looks like it might be of interest.

King of Casuals
2015-09-01, 10:39 AM
I dm tons of games on roll20, and I never really make my own maps unless I have something specific that I want to do. Ive found that its easier to find a random map that fits with the theme of what you want and model the session after that. Thats just me though, and I tend to be pretty lazy, sooo... Do whatever you want.

Draco_Lord
2015-09-01, 12:51 PM
Okay, thank you to both of you! That is helpful.

And, there are times I'll want my own dungeon design, so learning to make them is useful.

PersonMan
2015-09-01, 01:04 PM
I've found that Roll20's own mapmaking tools are sufficient in most cases.

Sometimes I'll use another image as a base, in which case it's best to download -> upload to Roll20 -> set as background, though gridless maps work best here as it's a pain to try and align the two otherwise.

A note: 'is drawing' is vital for placing anything that doesn't fit neatly onto the grid.

3SecondCultist
2015-09-01, 02:39 PM
I've found that Roll20's own mapmaking tools are sufficient in most cases.

Sometimes I'll use another image as a base, in which case it's best to download -> upload to Roll20 -> set as background, though gridless maps work best here as it's a pain to try and align the two otherwise.

A note: 'is drawing' is vital for placing anything that doesn't fit neatly onto the grid.

I will second everything PersonMan said here, and will expand on it a bit.

1) I tend to try to adhere to a 'grid style' map, if only because it makes encounters that much easier. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the basic toolbar - the straight line key is my bread and butter when it comes to making drawings. You wouldn't believe how versatile you can get with it. Colors are useful as well, and the shape tool. You can make an entire map out of only vertical lines on a grey background, if you want.

2) Finding the images you want is trickier. Roll20 has a set of database images you can buy from their Marketplace (I did, which is why I have pretty much level of characters and monsters) but there are still plenty of good images that you absolutely don't need to buy. It depends on whether or not you're a perfectionist like I am. Generally, the more specific an image you want, the less of a chance there is that you will be able to find a good version of it for free.

3) The last thing I'll say is about dynamic lighting. I've only just really gotten into it, but my god, it's amazing. It really only works properly with straight line maps, and it takes a little figuring out (you need to tinker with the base stats of every unit to make sure they can see, and how far, etc), but once you do it's a lifesaver. This is an optional tool, and is at its best when you're drawing really large maps and you really need to enforce fog of war.

Hope that helps! :smallsmile:

mikeejimbo
2015-09-01, 04:04 PM
Wow, this is a huge coincidence because I myself am looking into mapping on Roll20! I bought some really awesome drafting blueprint style maps that I converted to images to use as maps and was very pleased with the results. So pleased that I wanted to make my own.

I tried FreeCAD but it didn't quite have the export options I needed and was a bit unwieldy for the 2D purpose. DraftSight had some interface problems for me so I didn't explore exporting.

Floorplanner would be a possibility - it fit almost everything I needed - but I didn't want to pay 10 Euros a year if I could avoid it.

If you already have Photoshop you could set up some brushes with your dungeon elements and turn on a grid. That'd probably give you the greatest control, particularly if you're artistic.