PDA

View Full Version : Contingent Spells re-activating?

Melcar
2015-09-01, 08:49 AM
Hi...

I was wondering if it was possible to create spell mantles that could be activatet an unlimited times? Like having Heal go of every time the character reached 0 hp?

I dont care for balance, at this point just whether or not its possible within the rules?

Thanks as always!

ryu
2015-09-01, 10:00 AM
I don't know of a way to achieve that semantically, but the functional effect can be reached easily enough. Just make an arbitrarily large number of contingent spells attached to your favorite form of minion set to have the effect you want to go off in the conditions you wish to have it go off. Simply add a clause to your condition line that marks the spells themselves as separate entities and have each one mention the activation of the last as an additional condition.

Vaz
2015-09-01, 11:24 AM
I Can't think of nested Contingencies outside of Craft Contingent Spells.

I wonder if Echoing Spells (IIRC, basically regain spell slot at -4CL, +3 metamagic I think) would work with that.

Triggers defined as 'TRIGGER [Craft contingent B] IF [Craft Contingent A] EQUALS 0 AND [situation X]'

Ie, if Situation X is HP at less than or equal to zero and not dead, then Contigent B Will trigger, provided Contingent A has gone off off.

I think you can have as many Crafted contingencies as HD, which by the time you are worried about losing 150HP should be either more than enough, or you are taking on stuff too hard. Plus HP damage at hard levels seems to be rarely the thing which kills my party members even without 3000 HP worth of nested Contincies.

ryu
2015-09-01, 11:45 AM
I Can't think of nested Contingencies outside of Craft Contingent Spells.

I wonder if Echoing Spells (IIRC, basically regain spell slot at -4CL, +3 metamagic I think) would work with that.

Triggers defined as 'TRIGGER [Craft contingent B] IF [Craft Contingent A] EQUALS 0 AND [situation X]'

Ie, if Situation X is HP at less than or equal to zero and not dead, then Contigent B Will trigger, provided Contingent A has gone off off.

I think you can have as many Crafted contingencies as HD, which by the time you are worried about losing 150HP should be either more than enough, or you are taking on stuff too hard. Plus HP damage at hard levels seems to be rarely the thing which kills my party members even without 3000 HP worth of nested Contincies.

That is indeed what I was talking about. Incidentally the supposed limit is easily bypassed by also crafting onto party members and your minion type(s) of choice.

Rubik
2015-09-01, 12:00 PM
A repeating magical trap on some of your gear could do it, set to go off under whatever circumstances you dictate upon the item's creation.

There're also Craft Contingent Synchronicities or (Greater) Celerities. So long as you have the spell you want to cast memorized (or have it known, in the case of spontaneous casters or manifesters), you can cast what you want when you want it, using the action it gives you. Unconditional Power will help when stunned, dazed, etc, and Subconscious Power (Hyperconscious) will allow you to manifest when unconscious, so it will help bypass those particular issues. Or you could cast a spell that knocks out various conditions such as stunning and dazing using one Contingent spell, and then Contingent Synchronicity/Celerity to cast whatever after that.

Renen
2015-09-01, 12:50 PM
Arent there spellclocks or something of the sort? I havent really used them, just remember some vague mention of such things