PDA

View Full Version : Elementalizing the entire Periodic Table.

tadkins
2015-09-01, 02:42 PM
So that recently locked thread regarding elementals, minerals, and mining got me thinking; what if elementals existed for all the chemical elements on the Periodic Table? OotS already had Redcloak and his Titanium, Chlorine and Silicon elementals. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this has been done.

As I mentioned on that thread a while back, Silver Elementals would probably be similar to Earth Elementals except that its attacks would be deadly to those traditionally weak to silver (Lycanthropes).

Pex
2015-09-01, 02:55 PM
Elementals Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, and Radon would be the aristocracy of air elementals but if you tried summoning them they wouldn't react.

Red Fel
2015-09-01, 02:55 PM
So that recently locked thread regarding elementals, minerals, and mining got me thinking; what if elementals existed for all the chemical elements on the Periodic Table? OotS already had Redcloak and his Titanium, Chlorine and Silicon elementals. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this has been done.

Technically speaking, wouldn't most of those be golems?

I mean, if your distinction between golem and elemental is "natural" vs "created," then I could see them being elementals. But elementals generally deal with the foundational elements, the ones represented in the elemental planes of the cosmology. You know, Fire, Earth, Water, Heart, those elements.

Golems, by contrast, you can make out of anything. They're constructs. I seem to recall one made of abandoned underpants. So a Sulfur Golem makes perfect sense, for example. A Titanium Golem makes sense.

A Titanium Elemental does not make sense.

I know, it's in the comic. And it works in the comic, because it's funny. Element, elemental, I get it. It's a good gag, and it works. But the problem is that the elements - as in, the Periodic Table ones - are atomic compounds, whereas the elemental elements - as in, the cardinal ones - are concepts with a defined physical state.

Let me show you an illustration. When I say "water elemental," you know what a water elemental looks like. It may have a varying body shape, but it's made of water. It's liquid and wet. That's easy.

When I say "nitrogen elemental," what do you see? Do you see an elemental that evaporates at room temperature? An elemental which, in liquid form, freezes things? Nitrogen can take a lot of forms, you see, so it's kind of hard to describe it as a living liquid, like a water elemental, or a shambling solid, like an earth elemental, or a vicious vapor, like an air elemental, because it can be any of those things. Cardinal elementals tend to have a particular state like that; a Periodic Table elemental would be far more dynamic, and in a sense confusing.

But golem? Golem works, because golems are by definition forged into a solid, statue-like shape. You could even take an ordinarily gaseous element, supercool it into a solid, and form the construct from that. Then just give it powers based on the underlying thing.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-01, 03:10 PM
I generally think of "Elementals" as being more emblematic of the states of matter than the periodic elements ("Fire" admittedly doesn't really equal "Plasma" here, but my brain can handwave that.) However, in the interest of quasi-science...

It might make sense to make these like "Mephits". Not true elementals (because 3.5 makes some weird decisions about what things are outsiders and what are elementals sometimes), but they'd fit easily. Heck, if we're homebrewing, you could just "declare" them to be elementals while using the Mephit as a good starting blueprint. Then figure out what each element would do if people came in contact with it, and how a monster might use that in combat.

Similarly, the "golems" approach works, too. Remove the immunity to magic and replace the creature type with "Elemental" instead of "Construct", and you've got a lot to work with.

daremetoidareyo
2015-09-01, 03:13 PM
Positive energy plane is composed of protons. Negative: electrons. But what to do with neutrons?

"Don't you dare cleave that uranium elemental, Grog!"

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-01, 04:29 PM
...elemental elements - as in, the cardinal ones - are concepts with a defined physical state.

Assuming Earth=Solid, Water=Liquid, Air=Gas, and Fire=Plasma, now I want to make a Bose–Einstein Condensate Elemental and a Neutron-Degenerate Matter Elemental.

"Don't you dare cleave that uranium elemental, Grog!"I have no words.

Dondasch
2015-09-01, 05:53 PM
I generally think of "Elementals" as being more emblematic of the states of matter than the periodic elements ("Fire" admittedly doesn't really equal "Plasma" here, but my brain can handwave that.) However, in the interest of quasi-science...

There's also Bose-Einstein Condensate.

Positive energy plane is composed of protons. Negative: electrons. But what to do with neutrons?

As long as he's not using a katana, we'll be fine.

Afgncaap5
2015-09-01, 06:00 PM
There's also Bose-Einstein Condensate.

Yeah, but I can't see that kind of elemental really being a monster that attacks anyone.

They're a little too, uh...

*Cough*

...a little too chill. Sorry.

And like I said, the fire/plasma comparison sorta falls flat, but that's kind of the system I use for figuring out how new homebrewed elementals figure in. (And it's not perfect, either. An Ice Elemental still has more to do with the element of Water than of Earth.)

Dondasch
2015-09-01, 06:07 PM
Yeah, but I can't see that kind of elemental really being a monster that attacks anyone.

They're a little too, uh...

*Cough*

...a little too chill. Sorry.

Alright, you win a metal for that one: lead. :smalltongue:

Pex
2015-09-01, 06:19 PM
Technically speaking, wouldn't most of those be golems?

I mean, if your distinction between golem and elemental is "natural" vs "created," then I could see them being elementals. But elementals generally deal with the foundational elements, the ones represented in the elemental planes of the cosmology. You know, Fire, Earth, Water, Heart, those elements.

Golems, by contrast, you can make out of anything. They're constructs. I seem to recall one made of abandoned underpants. So a Sulfur Golem makes perfect sense, for example. A Titanium Golem makes sense.

A Titanium Elemental does not make sense.

I know, it's in the comic. And it works in the comic, because it's funny. Element, elemental, I get it. It's a good gag, and it works. But the problem is that the elements - as in, the Periodic Table ones - are atomic compounds, whereas the elemental elements - as in, the cardinal ones - are concepts with a defined physical state.

Let me show you an illustration. When I say "water elemental," you know what a water elemental looks like. It may have a varying body shape, but it's made of water. It's liquid and wet. That's easy.

When I say "nitrogen elemental," what do you see? Do you see an elemental that evaporates at room temperature? An elemental which, in liquid form, freezes things? Nitrogen can take a lot of forms, you see, so it's kind of hard to describe it as a living liquid, like a water elemental, or a shambling solid, like an earth elemental, or a vicious vapor, like an air elemental, because it can be any of those things. Cardinal elementals tend to have a particular state like that; a Periodic Table elemental would be far more dynamic, and in a sense confusing.

But golem? Golem works, because golems are by definition forged into a solid, statue-like shape. You could even take an ordinarily gaseous element, supercool it into a solid, and form the construct from that. Then just give it powers based on the underlying thing.

Shakes head.

No, nothing about golems at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhsKlz8xkg

dysprosium
2015-09-01, 07:51 PM

As I mentioned on that thread a while back, Silver Elementals would probably be similar to Earth Elementals except that its attacks would be deadly to those traditionally weak to silver (Lycanthropes).

It has been done. This homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?270108-The-Periodic-Table-of-Elementals-(again)) even has a dysprosium elemental!

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-01, 08:58 PM
Nitrogen is a part of many explosives. TNT is trinitrotoluene, you have nitroglycerin and so on. It has to do with the strength of N≡N triple bonds.

So err, a nitrogen elemental is hard to break (strong bonds, require lots of energy to break), but when you un-break them (reform bonds), they release lots of energy?

Red Fel
2015-09-01, 09:05 PM
But at that point, we're getting into compound elementals. (Perhaps a template?)

And once we're there, it's just a matter of time before somebody builds a FOOF Elemental, and then, well...

Dangit, there goes another plane.

Saintheart
2015-09-02, 01:52 AM
I dare say a Fluoride Elemental would confer healing upon anything that struck it with a bite attack. Calcium Elementals would do the same to unarmed attacks from skeletons. I can also see a Plutonium Elemental doing damage via electricity attacks of ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS in size.

TiaC
2015-09-02, 03:52 AM
I dare say a Fluoride Elemental would confer healing upon anything that struck it with a bite attack. Calcium Elementals would do the same to unarmed attacks from skeletons. I can also see a Plutonium Elemental doing damage via electricity attacks of ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS in size.

Elemental Fluorine is so reactive that it will cause water or iron to spontaneously combust.

A Plutonium Elemental would have to be very small to avoid going supercritical and exploding. (A 4-inch sphere is the biggest it could be.)

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-02, 08:21 AM
Guardsman "We're going to have to ask everyone to evacuate the town. Please depart via the north gate in the most expeditious manner possible."
Citizen "What's going on? Why do we have to evacuate?"
Guardsman "A wagon carrying a load of Chlorine Elementals overturned outside the south gate. It's always best to play it safe with a Chlorine Elemental spill."

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-02, 09:01 AM
But at that point, we're getting into compound elementals. (Perhaps a template?)
Well, yes. But, this (http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/01/09/things_i_wont_work_with_azidoazide_azides_more_or_ less.php) compound, that is, C2N14, has a pretty high nitrogen content. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a pure nitrogen compound that was still more explosive (or maybe that's just not stable enough to exist at all). If it doesn't exist on Earth, it now exists on Oerth, because explosive elementals clearly beat suffocating elementals any day of the week (and let's face it, there are plenty of elements that will suffocate you already).

Saintheart
2015-09-02, 09:07 AM
Guardsman "We're going to have to ask everyone to evacuate the town. Please depart via the north gate in the most expeditious manner possible."
Citizen "What's going on? Why do we have to evacuate?"
Guardsman "A wagon carrying a load of Chlorine Elementals overturned outside the south gate. It's always best to play it safe with a Chlorine Elemental spill."

On the upside, the city's sewerage drains suddenly turn blue and make for great public swimming pools!

ArkenBrony
2015-09-02, 01:20 PM
I'd like to quickly come at this from the elemental, game, point of view with a question. how many types of each elemental are there? to clarify, i'd like to sit the ones I'm aware of.

small
medium
large
huge
greater
elder
monolith
primal
elementite(spelling?) swarm
elemental template

any others I'm missing?

Pex
2015-09-02, 02:23 PM
After the party defeats the gold and silver elementals, they will have new meaning when they say "We loot the bodies".

tadkins
2015-09-02, 02:30 PM
After the party defeats the gold and silver elementals, they will have new meaning when they say "We loot the bodies".

Even moreso if there's a Platinum elemental!

Alistaroc
2015-09-02, 02:45 PM
What would an Arsenic-Sulfur Elemental look like?

nedz
2015-09-02, 03:04 PM

No, no. It's critical hits you need to avoid.

Pex
2015-09-02, 05:51 PM
Expect arguing and condemnations of T1 wizards wanting to Fabricate or Polymorph Carbon Elementals into diamonds.

Renen
2015-09-02, 09:07 PM
Its actually vorpal weapons you cant use agains Uranium Elementals.