PDA

View Full Version : Question: Combining magical armor and magical robe?

swordhawk
2007-05-10, 01:38 PM
Hi,

a question - would you allow a character to wear both magical armor and a magical robe, and gain full benefit for both?

Tyger
2007-05-10, 02:04 PM
You mean allow in the sense of ignore the rules and allow? Hell no. :)

Mgaical item slotting is one of the good limiting effects on how effective the character can be. If you are going to allow this, why not allow four rings, two necklaces, two belts, two pairs of boots (one is a sock right!?), etc. etc.? Yes, its an exaggeration, but its the same question.

Keep in mind, that while most robes are really designed for casters, and most armor for warriors, that's not always the case. And of course there are casters that wear armor, and warriors that benefit from caster specific items anyway.

Its not so much the base properties of the items either, its the fact that you can add twice as much for half the cost... remembering that item costs increase exponentially as you go from +1 - +10 value... two items of +3 enchantment are worth substantially less than one item of +6.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 03:50 PM
You could certainly wear magic armor and a magic robe at the same time, you just can't benefit from both of their magic properties at the same time. You could benefit from the armor's mundane qualities while the robe is "active", however.

swordhawk
2007-05-10, 04:10 PM
Thank you for the replies - most helpful :smallsmile:
(was reminded of an old munchkin artifact - gloves of inifinte ring wearing :smallbiggrin: )

Tokiko Mima
2007-05-10, 04:24 PM
Hi,

a question - would you allow a character to wear both magical armor and a magical robe, and gain full benefit for both?

Sure! There's a feat designed to allow this, even: Additional Magic Item Space (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#additionalMagicItemSpace). It's epic and it allows exactly what you're talking about.

For reference there are twelve slots you can place magic items on, listed here: Magic Items on the Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)

Citizen Joe
2007-05-10, 04:31 PM
It all depends on what the bonuses are. If the robe is providing a deflection bonus, while the armour is simply enhancement, then they do stack. In the case of the Robe of the Archmagi, it provides an armour bonus, which does not stack with the actual armour your wearing.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 04:39 PM
It all depends on what the bonuses are. If the robe is providing a deflection bonus, while the armour is simply enhancement, then they do stack. In the case of the Robe of the Archmagi, it provides an armour bonus, which does not stack with the actual armour your wearing.A magic robe and magic armor take up the same body slot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody), that's why you can't have both of them magically active at the same time.

Myrkveikja
2007-05-11, 02:19 AM
You could certainly wear magic armor and a magic robe at the same time, you just can't benefit from both of their magic properties at the same time. You could benefit from the armor's mundane qualities while the robe is "active", however.

So, you mean that a character can "toggle" between items worn on the same slot? As in, "this round I'll use the magical armor bonus, but next round I'll activate my Robe of Eyes"? That would be like saying "this round I'll use my Robe of Eyes, next round I'll use my Robe of Stars, then I'll use my Robe of Blending - that should work, cause I'm only using my robes one at a time". This is what the slot-system is supposed to avoid...

I'd say that if you're wearing two items on the same slot, none of them are working.

Jasdoif
2007-05-11, 02:25 AM
So, you mean that a character can "toggle" between items worn on the same slot? As in, "this round I'll use the magical armor bonus, but next round I'll activate my Robe of Eyes"? That would be like saying "this round I'll use my Robe of Eyes, next round I'll use my Robe of Stars, then I'll use my Robe of Blending - that should work, cause I'm only using my robes one at a time". This is what the slot-system is supposed to avoid...

I'd say that if you're wearing two items on the same slot, none of them are working.I can't remember where I saw this right now, but I remember seeing that the first item you put on in the slot is the active one; and you have to remove that one before you can have a different item active in that slot.

And armor can take quite a while to put on and take off.

Myrkveikja
2007-05-11, 02:40 AM
I can't remember where I saw this right now, but I remember seeing that the first item you put on in the slot is the active one; and you have to remove that one before you can have a different item active in that slot.

Aahhh... you mean that you need to physically CHANGE the item, not just swap mentally... I get it, I get it...

So... a wizard could wear a elfin mail shirt +3 outside his Robe of Stars, but wouldn't get the +3 magical armor bonus, but he would get the non-magical armor granted from the mail shirt...or, he could wear the armor inside the robe, getting full armor bonus - but then the robe wouldn't be operational at all (and just be a piece of fancy clothing).

Indon
2007-05-11, 08:45 AM
I can't remember where I saw this right now, but I remember seeing that the first item you put on in the slot is the active one; and you have to remove that one before you can have a different item active in that slot.

...It won't be long before there's a homebrew feat that allows you to disrobe very quickly.

Jayabalard
2007-05-11, 08:54 AM
So, you mean that a character can "toggle" between items worn on the same slot? As in, "this round I'll use the magical armor bonus, but next round I'll activate my Robe of Eyes"? That would be like saying "this round I'll use my Robe of Eyes, next round I'll use my Robe of Stars, then I'll use my Robe of Blending - that should work, cause I'm only using my robes one at a time". This is what the slot-system is supposed to avoid...Well, if you can switch clothes really quick (al la FFX2) that would work, right?

Nahal
2007-05-11, 10:27 AM
...It won't be long before there's a homebrew feat that allows you to disrobe very quickly.

Check the BoEF, it might already be in there.

ocato
2007-05-11, 10:36 AM
Wait wait wait.

1. Are you insulting my Socks of Elvenkind?

2. You could wear a chain shirt (nonmagical) and a magic robe and get the regular armor bonus and the bonus from the robe?

3. The book of erotic fantasy probably doesn't have quick armor removal feats, but it might have some sort of 'codpiece removal' skill.

Jasdoif
2007-05-11, 11:29 AM
2. You could wear a chain shirt (nonmagical) and a magic robe and get the regular armor bonus and the bonus from the robe?Yes, although if the robe grants an armor bonus it won't stack with the chain shirt's. Also, your DM may well feel that wearing a robe over/under armor isn't simply a bad fashion statement and disallow the combo (claiming the two won't both fit at the same time, or something), but that sounds like a stretch if you're wearing light armor under a robe.

Tokiko Mima
2007-05-11, 12:11 PM
Why hasn't someone designed a verbal component only spell that lets you remove or don armor as a free action for its duration?

Seems like it would be an easy way to mechanically nullify Arcane Spell Failure, and compared to other spells out there not too difficult. The only downside is you would have unarmored AC if someone tried to interrupt you, but as a free action you could have your armor back on before anyone got a second hit in.

Would also remove Armor Check Penalties, too. Just remove your armor for a sec, make your skill roll, then put it right back on. Or sneak about without any armor and the moment trouble starts... *BLAM* Full plate.

Tyger
2007-05-11, 12:13 PM
Why hasn't someone designed a verbal component only spell that lets you remove or don armor as a free action for its duration?

Seems like it would be an easy way to mechanically nullify Arcane Spell Failure, and compared to other spells out there not too difficult. The only downside is you would have unarmored AC if someone tried to interrupt you, but as a free action you could have your armor back on before anyone got a second hit in.

There's a ring in MIC that does just this. Neato!