PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wind wall vs tiny creatures

Mazricoth
2015-09-01, 02:53 PM
My DM and I are having an argument, and I'd like an opinion, as I haven't found this issue popping up elsewhere in the internet. To preface this, we know that DM's can create the rules any which way he wants, but we would like official statements and definitions if possible.

The effects of the wind wall is as follows:

"An invisible vertical curtain of wind appears. It is 2 feet thick and of considerable strength. It is a roaring blast sufficient to blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, or tear papers and similar materials from unsuspecting hands. (A Reflex save allows a creature to maintain its grasp on an object.) Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier. Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward when caught in a wind wall. Arrows and bolts are deflected upward and miss, while any other normal ranged weapon passing through the wall has a 30% miss chance. (A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected.) Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass through the wall (although it is no barrier to incorporeal creatures)."

We often come across tiny or smaller creatures, swarms, and creatures made out of gas, and I've used this spell on them to do crowd control.

The issue that we split on is whether or not the wall will lift the creatures up to the top, or just form around them and keep them on the inside of the wall.

The main point for having them blown up with the wall is that the description specifically says that it will blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, and can rip the pages out of your hands, indicating that the wall spawns underneath you.

The main point for having it go around them is that while the blast is sufficient, it's an indication of how powerful the spell is, and not what happens to the creature. Furthermore, all other wall spells (that we're aware of) either allow you to disrupt them or just plain doesn't allow you to create it underneath the creature.

Also, the spell says flying tiny and small creatures. Would that mean only flying? Would a cockroach be able to go through just fine?

Psyren
2015-09-02, 08:22 AM
1) Only flying creatures are affected, yes. Thus a viper (Tiny Animal without flying) can slither through it. It's unclear whether a creature that can fly but chooses to walk (like the cockroach you mentioned) still counts as a "flying creature" however.

2) The wall does not provide lift to creatures. They must fly over it under their own power (using up movement as normal) if they can't pass through it.

3) Walls can be formed on top of creatures unless specifically stated otherwise, which walls like Wall of Ice and Wall of Force do. But Wall of Fire, Wall of Stone and Wind Wall can be formed on top of creatures because they lack such language (and it's often advantageous to do so.)

Mazricoth
2015-09-02, 01:08 PM
Thanks, do you have any developer quotes or official errata to back it up?

Psyren
2015-09-02, 02:07 PM
Thanks, do you have any developer quotes or official errata to back it up?

No, I have the text of the spell.

- "Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier" - non-flying creatures are not mentioned, therefore they are not affected unless something else says they are.

- "Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward" - these are the only things that do.

- "A wall of ice cannot form in an area occupied by physical objects or creatures" - Wind Wall lacks this line.