PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cleric archer build advice

aza9999
2015-09-01, 04:13 PM
I'm currently building a cleric archer for an ongoing campaign and was looking for some advice as it's not something i've really looked into before, but seeing it suggested in Tarks book of cleric optimisation (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h6-_4HvPvV-Tt7I67Gi_oPhgHmeDVA5SBl-WrJSgf5s/edit?hl=en&pli=1) piqued my interest.

I've gone with a dwarf follower of erastil (idea is he got sick of looking at rocks and decided he preferred hunting out in nature). I took feather subdomain for fly domain spells, and perception increase, plus the animal companion from animal domain. I took the theologian archetype which limits me to a single domain but every 5 levels i get to apply a permanent metamagic to domain spells (i've extended fly and mass fly).

Party role is support and ranged damage. The rest of the party is a rogue, paladin, sorcerer and wizard (i've been previously playing a fighter but wanted a change).

I've only equipped him with a bow, armor and +2 cha/wis headband (for level 6 spells) so far.

I've gone with what seems to be a fairly standard archer feat progression.

Unbuffed my full attack with rapidshot = 12/12/7 (first shot is two arrows from manyshot, so effectively 4 shots). Damage hitting for all is 4d8 + 20 +8d6 vs evil.
With rapid shot and deadly aim it becomes 9/9/4 for 4d8 + 44 + 8d6 vs evil.
Clustered shots means that DR and the massive damage optional rule is applied to overall damage, not each arrow.

Sevrin
Male dwarf cleric (theologian) of Erastil 11 (Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Magic 32)
NG Medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +24
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor, +4 Dex)
hp 97 (11d8+44)
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +10; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +2 trait bonus vs. charm and compulson
Defensive Abilities defensive training
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft.
Ranged +2 adaptive holy composite longbow +14/+9 (1d8+5/×3 plus 2d6 vs. evil)
Special Attacks channel positive energy 7/day (DC 19, 6d6), hatred
Cleric (Theologian) Spells Prepared (CL 11th; concentration +14)
6th—mass fly[D,APG] (DC 19)
5th—beast shape III (animals only)[D]
4th—summon nature's ally IV (animals only)[D]
3rd—fly[D]
2nd—feather fall[D]
1st—calm animals[D] (DC 14)
0 (at will)—create water, detect magic, stabilize
D Domain spell; Domain Animal (Feather subdomain)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 17, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 18
Base Atk +8; CMB +11; CMD 25 (29 vs. bull rush, 29 vs. trip)
Feats Clustered Shots[UC], Deadly Aim, Manyshot, Point-blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot
Traits birthmark, seeker
Skills Acrobatics +3 (-1 to jump), Appraise +6, Diplomacy +8, Fly +10, Heal +11, Knowledge (planes) +10, Knowledge (religion) +10, Linguistics +6, Perception +24 (+26 to notice unusual stonework), Sense Motive +7, Spellcraft +15; Racial Modifiers +6 Perception, craftsman, +2 Perception to notice unusual stonework
SQ animal companion (hawk named Animal Companion), domain secret, domain secret, eyes of the hawk, focused domain
Other Gear +1 mithral breastplate, +2 adaptive holy composite longbow, headband of mental prowess +2 (Wis, Cha), 150 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Animal Companion Link (Ex) You have a link with your Animal Companion.
Birthmark +2 save vs. charm & compulsion
Cleric (Theologian) Domain (Feather) Add Fly to your list of class skills. In addition, whenever you cast a spell that grants you a fly speed, your maneuverability increases by one step (up to perfect).
Cleric Channel Positive Energy 6d6 (7/day, DC 19) (Su) Positive energy heals the living and harms the undead; negative has the reverse effect.
Clustered Shots Total damage from full-round ranged attacks before applying DR
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Deadly Aim -3/+6 Trade a penalty to ranged attacks for a bonus to ranged damage.
Defensive Training +4 Gain a dodge bonus to AC vs monsters of the Giant subtype.
Domain Secret (Extend Spell, Fly) (Ex) Chosen domain spell permanently modified with metamagic.
Domain Secret (Extend Spell, Fly, Mass) (Ex) Chosen domain spell permanently modified with metamagic.
Eyes of the Hawk (+6 Perception/+2 Init.) (Su) +2 Initiative during a surprise round.
Focused Domain +2 to cleric level for domain powers.
Hatred +1 Gain a racial bonus to attacks vs Goblinoids/Orcs.
Manyshot You can shoot two arrows as the first attack of a full attack action.
Point-Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into melee.
Rapid Shot You get an extra attack with ranged weapons. Each attack is at -2.
Share Spells with Companion (Ex) Can cast spells with a target of "you" on animal companion, as touch spells.
Stonecunning +2 +2 bonus to Perception vs. unusual stonework. Free check within 10 feet.

Any advice or feedback on the build would be greatly appreciated, i'm having difficulty finding a lot of resources online for this.

Geddy2112
2015-09-01, 04:50 PM
Looks like a pretty solid build- consider getting steel soul as one of your next feats, considering you have all the archery ones you need.
You get 4 orisons once you pass level 1. I would personally never prepare stablize, but there are worse orisons. Detect poison is situational but handy. Light should not be an issue at this level but its critical if members of the party don't have darkvision. You can also cast it on arrows and fire them down corridors to see things. Mending is good to prepare on off days so you can patch broken gear.

What animal companion are you thinking? Something you could ride would be sweet, unless you want a scout like some kind of bird. Or a flanking buddy for your frontline friends. Grab a buckler since you can wear it without penalty and use a bow. A cloak of resistance and ring of protection are pretty standard as well.

aza9999
2015-09-01, 04:59 PM
Steel soul is a great idea, i saw it when i was researching dwarves but forgot to put it. Might consider changing out deadly aim for it.

I still have a bunch of reasearch to do on which buffing spells are best. We have two arcane casters so magical death is not in short supply so my magical role is support and heals.

I was originally going with a hawk for scouting because i thought animal companions were fragile like familiars but they actually get pretty tough so now i'm reconsidering a mount.

I've just started filling out my gear, definitely going to grab a buckler till i can get an animated shield, and grabbing all the standards like amulet of natural armour, ring of protection etc. I've also started researching archery specific equipment like the efficient quiver and the bracers of falcons aim.

Thanks for the advice :)

Geddy2112
2015-09-02, 01:07 AM
For a support cleric, spells that should always be prepared include blessings of fervor, lesser restoration, dispel magic/greater dispel,freedom of movement and heal. Considering that you are going to have extended mass fly, I question having extend on your normal fly as well. Which kinda brings theologian into question when you could just bite the bullet with extend spell metamagic feat, then you could extend all of your nice buffs.

aza9999
2015-09-02, 03:39 AM
With the extend metamagic i don't really have the feat room for it yet, plus you then have to prepare it before use and burn a higher spell slot. I lose a domain by going theologian but there wasn't really anything fantastic that i could see in my other available domains, so i figured having an extended fly and extended mass fly always prepared in your domain slots are great usage, not sure what i'll take at 15 for my next metamagic domain spell yet.

If you have any suggestions for a second domain that would make dropping theologian worthwhile i'm definitely open to suggestions. Erastil has the domains animal, community, good, law, plant (can't use law because of alignment).

Thanks for the tips on the spells. Blessing of fervor is one i hadn't seen before that looks very useful. I just realised i could use that and then have 1 round/level of free extends or enlarges on spells i cast. Could be useful when used tactically to prep for a fight, ie round one blessing, round two group buff and send the others in with their increased movement, round three either long range buffs or use the extra attack to start raining down arrows.

Geddy2112
2015-09-02, 10:29 AM
Community is an incredible domain-healing minor conditions as a non spell saves your spell slots-your paladin will likely never be fatigued, sickened or shakened(and has mercies to heal such) but it saves Lay on Hands as well. The ability to take saves is a godsend for your rogue, as they can use your will and the rogue, sorcerer, and wizard benefit from your fortitude. The domain spells are decent-you will have options for down days and more buffing, particularly if you don't plan on encountering animals.

Blessings of fervor is outright amazing-remember that you can only boost 2nd level and lower spells, but it lets your sorcerer and wizard gain those benefits too. Great for things like protection from evil, or casting in silence/while grappled(but hopefully you put on freedom of movement).

aza9999
2015-09-02, 04:01 PM
Community was one i looked at but for some reason thought the unity save re-roll was a touch effect like calming touch, being aoe makes it a lot more valuable. We don't tend to suffer from the minor status effects very often, but it's still worth considering.