PDA

View Full Version : Negating a high powered Psion.

GargantuanOwl
2015-09-01, 04:49 PM
So I'm running a campaign and all of the characters are between the levels of 18 and 20 and I just let my friend join as a psion after much begging. I'm not very familiar with psionics and so far it seems they are over powered but I don't want to tell him to scrap his character so I need help developing a NPC to counter his psionics. All splat books are open and I'm game for any race. I just want a NPC that I can throw at him to keep him in check.

Slithery D
2015-09-01, 04:50 PM
What specific powers are causing a problem? An example would help.

ComaVision
2015-09-01, 04:53 PM
It would also help to know what the rest of the group is so we have an idea of what kind of power you can handle.

Troacctid
2015-09-01, 04:59 PM
All characters are supposed to be overpowered at level 18-20, casters especially. The game is intentionally designed that way. Psions are overpowered at level 20, but not any more so than Wizards and Clerics.

Just to make sure, you know that he can't spend more PP on a power than his manifester level, right? You're not letting him dump his entire power point reserve on a single power?

GargantuanOwl
2015-09-01, 05:02 PM
Well no power in particular but he's a clairsentient discipline but he has other powers through the feat. My main concern is that my other players are having to deal with Spell resistance and anti magic fields while his powers aren't effected by that.

Troacctid
2015-09-01, 05:05 PM
Spell resistance and anti-magic fields do apply to psionics, thanks to Psionics-Magic Transparency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicsMagicTransparenc y). Some campaigns use a variant system where psionics and magic are different, but transparency is the default.

ComaVision
Well no power in particular but he's a clairsentient discipline but he has other powers through the feat. My main concern is that my other players are having to deal with Spell resistance and anti magic fields while his powers aren't effected by that.

Psionics-Magic Transparency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicsMagicTransparenc y)

EDIT:

Spell resistance and anti-magic fields do apply to psionics, thanks to Psionics-Magic Transparency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicsMagicTransparenc y). Some campaigns use a variant system where psionics and magic are different, but transparency is the default.

Curses, you must also be a Seer.

GargantuanOwl
I'm familiar with the basics for psionics and I know he can only augment so much and I know 20th level characters are supposed to be potent but I'm not familiar enough with psionics to put something in the way to stump his character.

Necroticplague
2015-09-01, 05:09 PM
I'm familiar with the basics for psionics and I know he can only augment so much and I know 20th level characters are supposed to be potent but I'm not familiar enough with psionics to put something in the way to stump his character.

Like a spellcaster, how to stump him will depend on what he uses the powers for/what powers he has.This discussion will be significantly more fruitful if you have some idea as to what he can do.

torrasque666
2015-09-01, 05:10 PM
Thanks to the Psionics-Magic transparency that was linked above, pretty much everything you could use to smack a misbehaving caster with (books if necessary) will work on a manifester.

Andreaz
2015-09-01, 06:04 PM
Handling a psion is barely different from handling a sorcerer. The only big divergence is in what really BREAKS the game instead of just being insanely powerful. Like infinite action tricks, recovering pp for free...

ahenobarbi
2015-09-01, 07:26 PM
Handling a psion is barely different from handling a sorcerer. The only big divergence is in what really BREAKS the game instead of just being insanely powerful. Like infinite action tricks, recovering pp for free...

I'm pretty sure a sorcerer can effectively do those thanks to Sanctum Spell + [Greater] Arcane Fuson combo.

So handling such characters is similar. But to know how to handle them one needs a little more information on how they're misbehaving.

Unless you're open to asking the player to tone it down.

Crake
2015-09-01, 08:35 PM

There are ways for sorcerers to achieve similar things, psionics is really no more overpowered than magic at all, it's just the 2e oldguard bringing over their misconceptions and polluting the space with their assertations.

Andreaz
2015-09-01, 08:41 PM
I did mean to bring in things like planar binding to compare, but I forgot.

I tie sorcerers and psion in power level, mostly.

ekarney
2015-09-02, 01:07 AM
Are you running that psions are affected by anti-magic fields?

If yes, just throw a barbarian with 10 levels of runescarred berserker at them. It's the caster-killer.