PDA

View Full Version : Need help with lvl 5 items.

psychoduck14
2007-05-10, 02:25 PM
Ok I am building a lvl 5 gestalt rogue//barbarian for KOS monster campain but I stll have over 7k gold to spend and cant find any info on better items...any help?
btw this is the character:Merk (http://http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=49997)

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 03:04 PM
Gloves of Dex +2. Always helpful.

psychoduck14
2007-05-10, 03:18 PM
how much are they?

Tellah
2007-05-10, 03:32 PM
Gloves of Dexterity (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsWI.html#gloves-of-dexterity) +2 cost 4,000 gp. You can find a nice, big collection of magic items here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItems.html).

We can help you better with a little more information. Which books are available to you? What is your role in the party? What classes are the other players playing? Do you expect to reach 20th level, or is this a more limited-scope campaign?

Mr the Geoff
2007-05-10, 03:53 PM
You can always stock up on potions.
Cat's grace, cure moderate wounds, darkvision and invisibility all come in at 300gp each, cure serious wounds is 750gp

Cloak of elvenkind (+5 on hide checks) and boots of elvenkind (+5 on move silently checks) come in at 2500gp each.

Failing that you could just leave the money to one side and save up for +2 weapons, +2 armour etc.

psychoduck14
2007-05-10, 04:45 PM
Gloves of Dexterity (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsWI.html#gloves-of-dexterity) +2 cost 4,000 gp. You can find a nice, big collection of magic items here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItems.html).

We can help you better with a little more information. Which books are available to you? What is your role in the party? What classes are the other players playing? Do you expect to reach 20th level, or is this a more limited-scope campaign?

hehe thanks, um I actually dont know the others classes, Its a hack-and-slash probly high-er lvl and I only have d20srd.org

Piccamo
2007-05-10, 04:48 PM
hehe thanks, um I actually dont know the others classes, Its a hack-and-slash probly high-er lvl and I only have d20srd.org

The site he linked to is exactly the same as d20srd.org. The only difference is that its not blocked by some work-filters. Look at the Magic Items section on d20srd if you're stuck on it.

Tellah
2007-05-10, 07:35 PM

Okay, let me see if I've got this right: Core-only campaign, possibly reaching higher levels, with an emphasis on combat. This still doesn't tell me what your character is going to be doing in the game, but I think I can hazard a guess.

Everyone needs a Handy Haversack (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsWI.html#handy-haversack), and it's one of the few items I can categorically guarantee you'll continue to use when you hit level 20. A +1 weapon costs about 2300 gp, and for your build you'll probably want a two-handed weapon to Power Attack with--or are you a two-weapon fighter? Save up for a nice mithral breastplate; until then, wear a masterwork chain shirt. Saves are the most important form of defense, so you'll want a Cloak of Resistance (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsWI.html#cloak-of-resistance). Boots of Elvenkind (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsWI.html#boots-of-elvenkind) will enhance your Move Silently checks, which will still be necessary even if your party Wizard casts invisibility on you.

What feats do you have? What are your ability scores? That will help us determine the sorts of things that your character will need.

Jack Mann
2007-05-10, 07:39 PM
If he's talking about the campaign I believe he is, it's not actually core-only. He simply doesn't have the books.

Otherwise, my sunscorched hobgoblin swordsage//psychic warrior with a collapsible ten-foot pole, everfull mug, and psionic tattoos is going to look mighty sheepish.

Darrin
2007-05-11, 08:59 AM
Ok I am building a lvl 5 gestalt rogue//barbarian for KOS monster campain but I stll have over 7k gold to spend and cant find any info on better items...any help?

1. Buy Marvelous Pigments for 4,000 gp.
2. Paint multiple copies of Spyglasses (1,000 gp), Full Plate (1,500 gp) or Siege Engine Rams (2,000 gp). Sell them back as basic equipment for half cost. Assuming you have 100 square feet of pigments to work with and a suit of full plate requires a 5'x5' surface, that might work out to be about 40 suits of Full Plate, so 60,000 gp, trade 'em in for half... 30,000 gp total.
3. Buy 26,000 gp worth of magic items/equipment.
4. Buy another Marvelous Pigments for 4,000 gp.
5. Repeat until DM strangles you.

Even if you don't do that, Marvelous Pigments is your ultimate "Batman Utility Belt", at least for non-spellcasters. Need a ladder? Just paint it. Need a 200' silk rope? Need a ruffled pink bridesmade dress sized for a kobold, a jar of massage oil, and a bullwhip? Well, hopefully not, but you could just paint those, too. Everything you might need for a Rube Goldberg/MacGuyver style "crazy enough to work" scheme could be at your fingertips with Marvelous Pigments.

Other low-cost high-impact magic items:

* Feather Token, Tree (400 gp) - Need to block a doorway? Prevent a charge? Cover a retreat? Break LOS? Give yourself some climbing bonuses? Annoy a druid?
* Feather Token, Swan Boat (450 gp) - Cheaper than the Folding Boat, and it's a one-shot, but how often do you really need a boat?
* Bag of Tricks (900 gp/3,000 gp/6,300 gp) - Need a cheap flanking buddy? Also good checking for traps.
* Hand of the Mage (900 gp) - Poor man's telekinesis, but on the other hand, a lot of common items are under 5 lbs, including most one-handed weapons.
* Hat of Disguise (1,800 gp) - Essential for any "social engineering" rogue/bard. A great "Get Out Of TPK Free" card.
* The afore-mentioned Handy Haversack (2,000 gp) - Just be careful around Rope Trick spells.
* Horn of Fog (2,000 gp) - Ok, this one is hard to use effectively, but on the other hand it provides concealment and breaks LOS, which can be very handy for Rogues. Combine with Unseen Servant to deploy remotely, or Faerie Fire for a nice tactical advantage.
* Ring of Feather Falling (2,200 gp) - Never take falling damage again.
* Ring of Sustenance (2,500 gp) - Never keep track of rations again. Also makes setting up watches easier.
* Slippers of Spiderclimb (4,800 gp) - An incredibly large number of traps/obstacles can be easily circumvented just by walking on walls or the ceiling. Unlike the spell of the same name, the slippers leave both your hands free, allowing you to use ranged weapons such as bows/slings/etc.
* Sustaining Spoon (5,400 gp) - Ring of Sustenance is cheaper, but this feeds up to four.
* Boots of Striding and Springing (5,500 gp) - Increases your base speed by 10', charge by 20', who can't use a little extra movement?
* Boat, Folding (7,200 gp) - Invaluable if you run into water hazards frequently, but can also be used as a terrain feature in a pinch (prevent a charge, block LOS, cover for hiding, etc.)

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-11, 11:16 AM
If the campaign he's talking about is the same one myself and Jack are in, then alot of the things Darrin listed are handled by his companions.

The lay-out is about this:

Gestalt, ECL 5.

Rogue//Barbarian
Rogue//Fighter
Rogue//Swashbuckler (Going into Dread Pirate)
Crusader//Psychic Warrior
Dragonfire Adept//Dread Necromancer
Sorcerer//Wizard

And a few other things. The important thing is: A lot of people have established certain things. Namely, we have crazy amounts of battlefield control.

If he wants optimal use of Barbarian, he's better off going TWF and hitting things with unerring accuracy while getting +4d6 sneak per stab.

Darrin
2007-05-11, 11:35 AM
If he wants optimal use of Barbarian, he's better off going TWF and hitting things with unerring accuracy while getting +4d6 sneak per stab.

For a Rogue/Barbarian, I'd recommend the Boots of Striding and Springing (hello 100' charge), and then the Haversack. But the Pigments is still your ultimate non-magical Batman Utility Belt, and you could produce enough mundane items to sell back at 50% to easily afford the Boots and Haversack.

You're a bit short on healers, though. 7k in healing poitons and wands of CLW might be more valuable in the long run.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-11, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only make ONE object with each use of Marvelous Pigments. Since MP costs 4K and it is limited making objects less than 2K in price, you don't have the profit making option.

psychoduck14
2007-05-11, 02:21 PM
I think im going with gloves of dex+2 and a bag of holding 1 and I need to look but I may have more money to get stuff.

Jack Mann
2007-05-11, 02:26 PM
Marvelous pigments can make multiple items with one pot. However, I would read the value line as putting a maximum value on all of the objects, rather than each object.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-11, 06:40 PM
To which I counter with:
SRD:
"One pot of marvelous pigments is sufficient to create a 1,000-cubic-foot object by depicting it two-dimensionally over a 100-square-foot surface."

Emphasis on singular object mine...

Jack Mann
2007-05-11, 06:57 PM
And I counter with "The user can create normal weapons, armor, and any other mundane item (including foodstuffs) whose value does not exceed 2,000 gp." Most of the entry is plural.

VariaVespasa
2007-05-11, 07:06 PM
Eyes of minute seeing, if not already mentioned. Hand of the Mage is a handy toy too.

Ditto
2007-05-11, 11:30 PM
Hey, I'm doing Rogue//Cleric, so I have a little bit of healing! :smallsmile: Mostly I'm enjoying the thought of Sneak Inflicting... 3d8+3d6+5, woo! Everyone's loving Rogue in Gestalt, interesting... never done Gestalt before myself, but I suppose everyone wants a little Sneak punch.

I spent my gold with wands and scrolls mostly, but a Cloak of Resistance +2 is always nice. I don't think I've ever made a character without one, if I could help it...

Citizen Joe
2007-05-11, 11:45 PM
Wait a minute, I thought the rational behind Gestalt was that you don't have enough characters to fill the roles so you have to double up. But you've got a full party. Why are you Gestalting?

Ditto
2007-05-11, 11:52 PM
Not everyone will be chosen, and he apparently likes strong parties. With strong adversaries.

psychoduck14
2007-05-12, 08:10 AM
hehe cause gestalt is fun! jk...i think

Adghar
2007-05-12, 09:52 AM
And I counter with "The user can create normal weapons, armor, and any other mundane item (including foodstuffs) whose value does not exceed 2,000 gp." Most of the entry is plural.

(I can't find any way to not make this sound rude - I blame the evolution of the English language in popular culture) So you think that the "a" and "it" are errors?

My interpretation is that the "a"/"it" line holds true, and the rest of the description simply makes reference to the domain in which the marvelous pigment may work. Specifically:

"These magic emulsions enable their possessor to create actual, permanent objects simply by depicting their form in two dimensions."

Magical emulsions, not a single pot - and nothing about "all at once" or anything about creating "multiple" objects.

"The emulsion flows from the application to form the desired object as the artist concentrates on the desired image."

Seems to describe the process of creating an object. No pluralities.

"Only normal, inanimate objects can be created. Creatures can’t be created. The pigments must be applied to a surface. Marvelous pigments cannot create magic items. Objects of value depicted by the pigments —precious metals, gems, jewelry, ivory, and so on— appear to be valuable but are really made of tin, lead, paste, brass, bone, and other such inexpensive materials. The user can create normal weapons, armor, and any other mundane item (including foodstuffs) whose value does not exceed 2,000 gp.

Items created are not magical; the effect is instantaneous. "

Again, no mention of the number of pots you can create.

"It takes 10 minutes and a DC 15 Craft (painting) check to depict an object with the pigments."

Singularity (no pun intended).

An example to support my point is this:

"Each of the three kinds of a bag of tricks produces a different set of animals. Use the following tables to determine what animals can be drawn out of each. Animals produced are always random, and only one may exist at a time. Up to ten animals can be drawn from the bag each week." Bag of Holding description. Pluralities are clearly used several times, yet you obviously can only draw one at a time.