PDA

View Full Version : What level are we gonna start?

Guran
2015-09-02, 01:57 AM
This week we will begin a new series of walk-in walk out concept game in a local pub. The idead is to have game nights everybody can join and enjoy and play D&D. I've set this up after our LGS closed shop earlier this year and the gaming community kinda stranded in our town. All existing parties were full, however there were constantly people still asking to join. so we needed something new to keep giving people the chance to play. Well, that is actually what is already sorted. The thing I'm struggling with is what level players will start. Because personally I do not like level 1 at all. Very mundane. You are basicly wrapped in toilet paper and little more then a glorified peasant with a pointy stick or a conjurer of cheap tricks. As I want the evenings to be open and fun for everyone I don't want to have new players killed outright because of a bad roll when they can't take the slightest of hits. I would like to start at 3 where every class has choses its basis.
One of my best friends and frequent DM however says that people will expect to startat level 1 and that any consequences are simply part of the game.

So what would your advice be. Shall we start at level 1 or 3?

Corey
2015-09-02, 02:00 AM
What skill and experience of players?

What age/maturity of people are they? Would they enjoy playing young first-time adventurers?

How committed are they to RP? Would the extra flexibility one gets in a backstory from starting a few levels up matter to them?

Do you have any reason to think, other than your DM friend's say-so, that they want to start at the bottom? That's not the most common attitude.

Safety Sword
2015-09-02, 02:06 AM
Personally I like Level 2.

You're unlikely to die with one round of hits and you still have a chance to get the hang of the class you're playing before making unalterable decisions.

Magic Myrmidon
2015-09-02, 02:15 AM
I recommend level 3. That's my preferred starting level, as you have the chance to make your character more unique than "elven fighter", you're more durable, and it makes a little more sense for you to actively seek out adventure, as you aren't just a glorified peasant.

In my experience, people tend to just start at level one for the reason your DM pointed out: because it's level one. Which is kind of just a lazy reason, I think. That, or it's "old school", or "because you should earn your way to higher levels".

By golly, I've been playing long enough that I've earned my way to higher levels at least 50 times now. I've done my time. :p

Guran
2015-09-02, 02:17 AM
There will be a mixed range of experience. Some people like my friends and I have been playing for years, some that might attend have played some sessions with me when I ran ToD in the LGS a year ago and yet others might join in all new. Most people I have encountered have joined the rp bandwagon as that is what I have been promoting the most. I want these gaming nights to have a lighthearted and open image. We can use a parties room in the pub for free as long as we buy our drinks and stuffs there. With that thought in mind I will not stand for any immature behaviour.

Gwendol
2015-09-02, 02:22 AM
Starting at level three means the character is maturing through choice of archetype, etc. It can work, but you also miss out on that "graduation" of the character that the level up gives. I'm going to recommend level 1, because it requires an absolute minimum of work creating the character. If they die, so be it, sounds like others may be ready to step in?

Toadkiller
2015-09-02, 08:31 AM
Start at level one, use the average damage to flatten damage variability from monsters. Players still roll for damage.

It's a game, but it doesn't need to follow any unnecessary rules.

MrStabby
2015-09-02, 09:28 AM
Depends on experience. I say three or four.

I like four as it gives a chance for players to get to grips with their basic character, the rest of the party and develop an idea of where they are going before 5. 5 is an important level with lots of exciting stuff and i wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the step up from 4 to 5.

-Jynx-
2015-09-02, 09:38 AM
Depends on experience. I say three or four.

I like four as it gives a chance for players to get to grips with their basic character, the rest of the party and develop an idea of where they are going before 5. 5 is an important level with lots of exciting stuff and i wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the step up from 4 to 5.

I'm a big fan of 3 or 4 as well. At level 3 when you choose your archetype your class/concept really begins to flourish in my opinion (and begins to stand out more from the others). Beyond that at level 4 you gain access to a feat should your build/concept need it and you aren't a Vhuman which is also nice to start with rather than taking a couple of weeks (or however long it would take your group to level up to 4).

mephnick
2015-09-02, 02:05 PM
The group I DM started at level 1 and we found the first two levels horribly boring from a character perspective. Thankfully it only lasted 2 sessions.

Generally a player has a character in mind and that character will not feel correct at level 1 or 2. I suggest 3 or 4 as well.

Grimstaff
2015-09-02, 03:54 PM
My google-fu is weak, so no citation, but somewhere out there is a more or less official statement that 5E is designed for experienced players to start at 3rd and inexperienced at 1st.

Or maybe that's in one of the core books.

Giant2005
2015-09-02, 04:00 PM
Level 4 is imo the perfect level to start. It allows all characters to start with the option of having a character defining feat without being a Variant Human as well as the option of having both their subclass already chosen with a level dip which could be as important as a feat to the character's backstory.

Alerad
2015-09-02, 05:54 PM
Start at level 1.

When we started playing none of my player had had any experience with RP games, and I still made them start from level 1. In DnD 5 there is a very nice progression for levels 1-3 for each class, and the amount of skill mechanics players need is evenly distributed and easy to learn.

In my group we are all adults so generally people don't hold grudge and don't stab each other at night, which was a vast improvement compared to when I played in high school :)

I didn't fudge any rolls and in general roll in front of the players. In the monsters crit, they crit. Most of my players have rolled death savings throws at one time or another, one of them rolling a 1 once. I think this was a good decisions because now they have their own characters, nursed from level 1.

On the other side, keeping level 1-2 characters alive is though. I spent a lot of time preparing the first session. Use goblins, zombies or skeletons templates to make your own monsters if you want. I used the zombie stats to make a charmed/possessed followers of an evil mage and it worked well. Flat damage generally doesn't kill a level 1 character even if it crits. If they fall, other players can help. If they can, but don't, well, it's not your fault.

Mara
2015-09-02, 10:02 PM
This week we will begin a new series of walk-in walk out concept game in a local pub. The idead is to have game nights everybody can join and enjoy and play D&D. I've set this up after our LGS closed shop earlier this year and the gaming community kinda stranded in our town. All existing parties were full, however there were constantly people still asking to join. so we needed something new to keep giving people the chance to play. Well, that is actually what is already sorted. The thing I'm struggling with is what level players will start. Because personally I do not like level 1 at all. Very mundane. You are basicly wrapped in toilet paper and little more then a glorified peasant with a pointy stick or a conjurer of cheap tricks. As I want the evenings to be open and fun for everyone I don't want to have new players killed outright because of a bad roll when they can't take the slightest of hits. I would like to start at 3 where every class has choses its basis.
One of my best friends and frequent DM however says that people will expect to startat level 1 and that any consequences are simply part of the game.

So what would your advice be. Shall we start at level 1 or 3? At the end of the day pick the level you have good material for as a DM.

I would recommend that your regulars make characters but that you also have pre-gens for people who just want to pop in for a session. Something like a champion fighter, a rogue, a blast wizard, and a cleric.

TheOOB
2015-09-03, 12:42 AM
Unless you're starting with new players, I don't like starting at level 1 for most stories. The DM wisdom I've gained over the years is that if you have an interesting story to tell, tell it now, not later, don't wait till the players have leveled up. Most interesting stories require higher level PC's, so it's better to start with PC's of the level you want then forcing them to push through levels that are basically filler*

*of course if you have a good story that requires level 1 characters, totally do it

GungHo
2015-09-03, 03:41 PM
Level 3~4 is a sweetspot. Weak enough that they can't kill a dragon, but strong enough that they don't die by falling down the stairs.