PDA

View Full Version : 5e feat to make dagger usage well... useful.

Spacehamster
2015-09-02, 09:06 AM
Dagger mastery

When throwing a dagger you ignore half and three quarters cower.

When dual wielding with a dagger in your offhand you gain another attack with your bonus attack option.

Also if you are wielding a dagger in each hand you add 1 bonus damage to each attack(many small bleeding wounds)

So would this feat make using daggers more tempting or what do you guys and girls think? :)

Molemanking
2015-09-02, 09:47 AM
I understand why you chose to ignore half and three-quarters cover, but thematically it doesn't make much sense. It could still work (bouncing the blade off walls and such) but it seems alittle weird.

I'd probably be wary of giving someone 2 attacks with a bonus action. That could mean that a level 1 human rogue could make 3 attacks while the fighter only has 1.

Also, adding +1 to damage doesn't seem that great in the long run as you'll still be doing relatively less damage than a shortsword. However that did give me an idea if you don't mind me posting it.

You may double the range of any dagger you throw.

When you are wielding a dagger in both hands, your AC increases by 1.

Once per turn, when you successful attack with one of your daggers, you can have the target make a CON Save (10+Proficiency mod) or suffer a Bleeding Wound. A creature with a Bleeding Wound takes 1d4 damage at the start of each of its turns. The target can use an action to make a DC 10 Medicine check to staunch the wound. Any magically healing instantly closes a Bleeding Wound.

Spacehamster
2015-09-02, 09:58 AM
I understand why you chose to ignore half and three-quarters cover, but thematically it doesn't make much sense. It could still work (bouncing the blade off walls and such) but it seems alittle weird.

I'd probably be wary of giving someone 2 attacks with a bonus action. That could mean that a level 1 human rogue could make 3 attacks while the fighter only has 1.

Also, adding +1 to damage doesn't seem that great in the long run as you'll still be doing relatively less damage than a shortsword. However that did give me an idea if you don't mind me posting it.

Once per turn, when you successful attack with one of your daggers, you can have the target make a CON Save (10+Proficiency mod) or suffer a Bleeding Wound. A creature with a Bleeding Wound takes 1d4 damage at the start of each of its turns. The target can use an action to make a DC 10 Medicine check to staunch the wound. Any magically healing instantly closes a Bleeding Wound.

Mostly thought it like he is very skilled at throwing daggers and that's why he can ignore covers that does not 100% cover the foe. Can always add "you do not get the 2nd bonus attack before character level 5" or "you get the 2nd attack only if you have the extra attack feature" the 1 bonus damage were not meant to be great it were meant to make it about the same as a short sword or scimitar, 1 more lowest possible damage, same average damage and 1 less max damage per hit. :)

Molemanking
2015-09-02, 10:15 AM
So going for a kind of Bullseye feel with blade ricochets and trick shots?

I'd be careful about putting conditionals in a feat that make you wait to be able to use its full power. Every other feat in the PHB gives you full access to the abilities of the feat once its taken.

Lastly, you said you made this feat to make Daggers more appealing. I'd say that if someone spends either their Human Bonus Feat or 4th level feat to take Dagger Mastery, their committing to only using daggers for their character. So, you don't need to worry about making sure that daggers are slightly less powerful than shortswords, as this is a very narrowly focused feat that someone will only take if they want to use daggers or find this feat appealing on its own.

I'm apologize if I'm sounding too critical.

Spacehamster
2015-09-02, 12:13 PM
So going for a kind of Bullseye feel with blade ricochets and trick shots?

I'd be careful about putting conditionals in a feat that make you wait to be able to use its full power. Every other feat in the PHB gives you full access to the abilities of the feat once its taken.

Lastly, you said you made this feat to make Daggers more appealing. I'd say that if someone spends either their Human Bonus Feat or 4th level feat to take Dagger Mastery, their committing to only using daggers for their character. So, you don't need to worry about making sure that daggers are slightly less powerful than shortswords, as this is a very narrowly focused feat that someone will only take if they want to use daggers or find this feat appealing on its own.

I'm apologize if I'm sounding too critical.

No worries but now that I think about it, would be cooler to make it into a subclass instead of a feat, some type of fighter that focuses on daggers and light or no armor or smthn such. :)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-02, 01:14 PM

I think Molemanking's version is better. It's neater, more balanced and feels more in line with other feats.

It's weird. Daggers should be super popular, but everyone who might be interested in one has better options. Maybe martial weapon proficiencies should be harder to get...