PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help Making An Intelligent Barbarian

LunarSonata
2015-09-02, 12:27 PM
(TL;DR at bottom for those who want to skip the fluff)

So I have been thinking of character concepts for a barbarian based character that is well, ironically intelligent. That is, my mental stats are all actually higher than my physical stats. To be more specific, with the stats I rolled for an upcoming campaign, I had good enough rolls that I only had one dump stat, and decided it would interesting to dump Dex. I guess my smart barbarian might be crippled. Smart, charismatic, strong, fit, and with a decent amount of common sense unlike most of his brethren, this barbarian would be struggling with the fact he has been crippled and thus is no where near as agile as he could be. And so he needs to find a way to use his brains and raw strength to make up for that fact.

Essentially, I wanted a martial character that had brains to accompany his brawn. Maybe just a bit similar to Roy in OoTS....

Here's the story fluff for those interested.
The basic idea I had for my character was that he was the son of the chief of a barbarian type tribe wandering the frozen wastes of the north (world of the DM's making, region is mostly populated by humans). Raised from a young age to be the next chieftain, he was trained to run as swift as the wolf, to strike with the might of a bear, to fight with the grace of an eagle. However, unlike most of his tribe, Inon (I'll just call him that for now) loved to associate with the various traders the tribe would barter with time to time. Where most of them would trade furs and other such raw materials for crafted goods and weapons made in the cities, Inon thirsted for knowledge, learning to read and acquiring many books over the years from which he learned about the world at large, becoming a student of history.

His unorthodox behavior and the strange new ideas/values he developed from his studies ran contrary to the traditions of the tribe, and fostered enmity among potential competitors. Thus, when his father died a premature death, before he could officially name Inon as his official heir in the customary fashion, Inon was challenged for leadership of the tribe through combat...as was the customary fashion. While he may have been strong and fit, he wasn't nearly at the same peak of physical fitness that his challenger was, and was crushed.

And so, shamefully defeated, and even crippled on top of that all (I decided he got a lame leg from a wound that never healed properly), he was exiled from the tribe, left to fend for himself in the wilds. Yet, unlike the many other tribesmen exiled into the wilds, Inon had enough knowledge, curiosity, and comfort with the "civilized" world that he set off to the settled cities in search of what life could bring him then....

Note that I'm not looking to optimize or min-max my character as much as I'm trying to build fluff and flavor, since this DM tends to play more role-playing vs. "roll"-playing. I also will be limited in combat feats as I have 8 Dex as I decided to dump Dex for flavor and I felt he needed a high Int, Wis, and Cha for role-playing reasons.

What I am looking for is any feats, multiclass options, PRC's, or anything else that can be used to build a character that "feels" intelligent, charismatic, a party leader type character, on top of making myself at least passable in combat. Yes, I won't really be that good at either, but that's not the point since most of the game will be more role-playing and character interaction based then numerically based.

So, anyone out there interested enough to give ideas that might add some nice fluff? I also hope this wasn't too long or full of too much filler, first time posting on these forums after lurking forever. :smallsmile:

TL;DR: What are ways to build (feats, multiclass options, PRC's, etc) an intelligent warrior (based off a barbarian) for role-playing reasons? Not trying to optimize, but build fluff. Think of something similar to Roy from OoTS only a barbarian (so no fighter bonus feats)

ComaVision
2015-09-02, 12:31 PM
Rage mage!

Red Fel
2015-09-02, 12:45 PM
How do you feel about being Exalted?

I'd propose the Champion of Gwynharwyf prestige class, for several reasons. Righteous Wrath. One of its prerequisites is a feat which includes the language that "While raging, you maintain clarity of mind unusual among barbarians." In other words, Rage smarter, not harder. Spellcasting. CoG lets you cast a small number of spells, which suggests a more cerebral and tactical role than "I get mad and hit it with my sword." Further, this casting is Wis-based, letting you make use of that ability score. After CoG 2, you can use spells while raging. Divine Grace. CoG lets you add Cha to saves, as a Paladin. You're using that score too. Fluff. The CoG is a philosophical Barbarian. This is not simply a guy who gets mad, this is a guy who gets mad for a reason. He embraces a patron of getting mad for justice. Rather than letting his powers be an end unto themselves, he has embraced them as a means to greater ends. He thinks about his Rage.
Alternatively, go Warblade. It has a bunch of Int-based class features built around cunning and strategy. And while Rage keeps you from using spells and Int-based skills, maneuvers are not spells, and Warblade's class features aren't skills - you can enjoy all of them. (Except Diamond Mind maneuvers which require Concentration.)

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-02, 01:00 PM
Magic of Incarnum also has some interesting support for Barbarians through the Totemist class and the PrC Totem Rager.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-02, 02:08 PM
You want to use brainpower for fighting. Education at 1st level makes all Knowledges class skills for your character. Knowledge Devotion gives you bonuses to hit and damage (minimum +1, maximum +5) based on your relevant Knowledge checks, on top of the standard useful bits of information from identifying a creature. Six D&D Knowledge skills cover every creature in the game. Collector of Stories skill trick gives you a +5 competence bonus to any one Knowledge check for an encounter, and most encounters only involve one creature type. Masterwork tools can provide a +2 circumstance bonus to one particular job. (The Knowledge Devotion tool for for Knowledge (local) might be an engraved disc to help you remember Humanoid weak spots indicated at eyes, throat, joints, and groin, though the form for each MW tool is unspecified and something you can take up with your DM). Putting all your skill points into smarter fighting would make sense for an intelligent Barbarian. Because you make your Knowledge check when you first see a (potential) enemy, and you can't (aren't allowed to) try again, you wouldn't normally need to make any Knowledge checks while you're raging. You would miss out if you were already raging in combat before you laid eyes on a new type of enemy.

Hiro Quester
2015-09-02, 04:14 PM
How do you feel about being Exalted?

I'd propose the Champion of Gwynharwyf prestige class, for several reasons.
Alternatively, go Warblade.

This would be an excellent option, if you want to be exaltedly good. CoG is a patron/paragon of barbarians, but only requires one level of Barbarian, note. You can take it at 6th level (6 BAB, 9 ranks of intimidate).

So you could do both. Barbarian X/Warblade 6-X/CoG10/more warblade.

Smart barbarian, with many more options than "I hit it with my axe".

LunarSonata
2015-09-02, 04:22 PM
Wow, loving these so far, thanks!

Anyway, I originally was saying no to casting since I actually was previously working on a caster based char (an Enlightened Fist) but then decided I didn't feel like bother with magic. Having only ever DM'd for years, I wanted to just play something rules light and enjoy being a player for once. However, the Champion of Gwynharwyf sounds really interesting to me, I'll just have to think about it some more (I've been vacillating between playing a Good and Neutral character for a while. On one hand, being a Paladin type character has had a special appeal to me, but the idea of being a bit more brutal and "natural" view of the world could be interesting to play.)

As for the Warblade, I believe my DM doesn't feel like dealing with the Book of the Nine Swords at the moment, so while that probably would be the most traditional "Int"-fighter, that's out of the picture.

I really like the Educated, Knowledge Devotion, and Collector of Stories feats, can't believe I haven't found them before. In terms of using that combination, would have to make sure my DM doesn't think that smells too strongly of cheese, but I wouldn't think it would be that much of a problem.

I'll take all of these into account, thanks once again for the help!

justiceforall
2015-09-02, 10:09 PM
It might be worth asking if you can take a single level of Warblade, and deliberately take a set of maneuvers and a stance that are straightforward. You can then tell the GM what the maneuvers do ahead of time (let you do an extra d6 if you pass a concentration roll, etc). Since they are all far less impressive than rage individually then your GM might let it fly. I suggest this because I'm using the same thing at the moment. Since Warblade is very straightforward compared to the other two and is easy to explain even to someone totally unfamiliar with Book of Nine Swords, it should fly. Then assuming you demonstrate over a few sessions your Warblade/Barbarian hasn't shattered DnD like an egg, you might be able to build on that. And maybe even get into the Eternal Blade prestige class (which is great! especially for a barbarian fluffwise!).

Less ToB - Swashbuckler 3 offers +INT to damage, weapon finesse, and a different set of skills to merge in with the Barbarian.

EugeneVoid
2015-09-02, 10:39 PM
Runescarred Berserker? Pretty sure they use some Int

Taveena
2015-09-03, 01:17 AM
Gotta second Tiger Claw-focused Warblade with Knowledge Devotion.

justiceforall
2015-09-03, 01:21 AM
On the no dexterity front - Deepwarden prestige class allows you to use your Constitution stat for AC instead of Dex. You can even qualify for it with a non-dwarf if you have to (Stoneblessed PrC). It's easier to qualify for with Ranger levels but its still pretty straightforward for a Barbarian.

Fist of the Forest PrC does something similar but doesn't really fit thematically with your city based stuff.

ComaVision
2015-09-03, 11:12 AM
On the no dexterity front - Deepwarden prestige class allows you to use your Constitution stat for AC instead of Dex. You can even qualify for it with a non-dwarf if you have to (Stoneblessed PrC). It's easier to qualify for with Ranger levels but its still pretty straightforward for a Barbarian.

Fist of the Forest PrC does something similar but doesn't really fit thematically with your city based stuff.

I think that's a really cool idea. You learn how to fight like a dwarf to make up for your poor dexterity :smallbiggrin:

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-03, 11:35 AM
I think that's a really cool idea. You learn how to fight like a dwarf to make up for your poor dexterity :smallbiggrin:

Conceptually it's certainly cool. On a more practical note you have to take 3 levels in a rather weak PrC just to qualify for something that you get after 2 levels in another PrC, that's five levels away from Barbarian just to be able to drop DEX. :smallfrown:

Prime32
2015-09-03, 08:24 PM
By barbarian do you mean "guy who flies into a wild rage" or "guy with a tribal background"? Because, well...

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration
That makes things kind of difficult.

If it's the latter then just use factotum from Dungeonscape. Among other things, they can add their Int modifier to Strength/Dexterity-based ability checks and skill checks.