PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld magic system

purplearcanist
2007-05-10, 04:54 PM
I'm thinking about adapting erfworld's magic system to d20.

I'm still working on this, help me if you want.

Schools of Magic:

Findamancy - Allows the caster to find objects and people.
Predictamancy - Predicts future events and allows the caster to gain an insight into the future for their benefit.
Mathamancy - Allows the caster to find and decipher the meanings of numbers
Turnamancy - Gives the caster the power to play with initative.
Dollamancy - Magical power using dolls.
Weirdomancy - Allows the caster to do bizzare, supernatural things.
Dirtamancy - ??????(I'm still not sure about this one)
Changeamancy - Allows the caster to change their shape, and to change the shape of other creatures and objects.
Dittomancy - Allows the caster to copy moves, attacks, spells, and other things.
Lookamancy - Allows the caster to see other areas magically.
Thinkamancy - Grants insight into one's own mind, and the minds of others.
Foolamancy - Allows the caster to create illusions that would "fool" other creatures.
Flower Power - Allows the caster to use the power of flowers to make others peaceful.(?????)
Signamancy - Allows the caster to use the power of symbols? (what can this do?)
Date-a-mancy - (I'm really confused about this one.)
Shockmancy - Allows the caster to damage other targets with elemental energies.
Croakamancy - Allows the caster to kill people and animate dead bodies.
Deletionism - Allows the caster to destroy things. (just a guess)
Hat Magic - Allows the caster to do magic with a hat.
Carnymancy - Gives the caster carnival magic.
Rhyme-o-mancy - Gives the caster the power over rhyming.
Luckomancy - Gives the caster the power to make people lucky or unlucky.
Healomancy - Allows the caster to heal himself or other creatures.
Moneymancy - Magic with money. Like accounting and buisness. (any more ideas?)

Magic Rules:(aka: things you should know to apply this magic system).

To apply this magic variant, get rid of every class that uses spellcasting, including wizards, sorcerers, bards, clerics, and druids. With Paladins and Rangers, you can get rid of their spellcasting, or use the spell-less casting variant in Complete Warrior.
Next, you'll be adding one skill for each school of magic in this variant. Gaining ranks in these schools of magic may give the player small abilities related to that school of magic, in addition to being able to cast spells of that school (these I'll be adding later).
Finally, you'll be giving each player a set of magic points. (Can someone help me develop a magic point system? I'll post it here.) These are used to cast spells of that school of magic, in addition to being able to use the abilities of certain magic items.

Magic Skills:

Luck-o-mancy (CHA; TRAINED ONLY; ARMOR CHECK PENALTY)
Using the power of Luck-o-mancy, you can cast spells that bestow luck, whether for good or for ill, on yourself and other targets.
#Allows you to cast luck-omancy spells need wording for this
Special: If you have 5 or more ranks in Luck-o-mancy, you gain the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. The extraordanary ability allows you to reroll one roll that you have just made before the DM determines whether the roll was a success or failure. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it it's worse then the original roll.

Any help would be appreciated.

brian c
2007-05-10, 05:23 PM
Changeamancy is transmutation, roughly. Predictamancy and Lookamancy are divination.

1) Dollamancy
2) ??????
3) Profit!

purplearcanist
2007-05-10, 09:34 PM
Updated the chart to include all of the schools of Erfworld magic. Still need some help determining what the schools could do.

I'll probably make spellcasting a combination of skill checks combined with the payment of magic points. I will also have expensive material components for the powerful spells (remember the 350,000 shmucker cost for the Summon Perfect Warlord spell). I will also allow players to research spells.

Demented
2007-05-10, 10:12 PM
A humorous take on the rest....

Findamancy: Searches and finds. Need to find your car keys? Call a Findamancer.
Mathamancy: Numerology. Need to know why 31 keeps popping up in your life? Call a mathamancer.
Turnamancy: Influences turns. Need to cheat in round-based combat? Don't call a turnamancer. Please.
Dollamancy: Creepy little doll magic. Liked Chucky? Call a dollamancer.
Weirdomancy: Your guess is as good as mine. Feeling bored? Call a weirdomancer.
Dirtamancy: Everyone knows this one. Just taken a dump? Call a dirtamancer.
Dittomancy: Anything you can do, I can do better. Don't call dittomancers; they'll call you.
Flower Power: Flower power! Need to search for inner peace? Call a hippie.
Signamancy: Signs of the times! Need a wacky interpretation? Call a signamancer.
Date-a-mancy: It's about time. Lost your watch? Why not date-a-mancer?
Carnymancy: What goes on in the carnival, stays in the carnival. Leave the carnymancers alone.
Rhyme-o-mancy: It's like poetry! Need to impress someone? Call a rhyme-o-mancer.
Moneymancer: Accounting magic. Taxes due? Call a moneymancer.

jjpickar
2007-05-10, 10:22 PM
Date-a-mancy could be time travel. Only each "mancer" specializes in only a few or even one particular date.

purplearcanist
2007-05-11, 01:18 PM
Updated most of the schools of magic. I'm still not sure on some of these so I could still use clarification. Other then that, I'm going to start building the magic system once all of this is clear to me.

Testing...
Test

Trying again to get spoiler tags...

Test

Try #3
Test

Yay! I figured it out! It is [ SPOILER][ /SPOILER] without the space.