PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good system for an Old West style campaign.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-02, 04:03 PM
I need some input from some experienced players of this game system. Myself and some friends need an old west system to run a campaign on. Something with good rules, a nice map of the territories, etc. There seem to be so few systems out there for that setting. I appreciate your help. Oh, I'm talking about a non-weird old west setting. Thanks.

HerbertWest
2015-09-02, 04:16 PM
I believe that you will need to define "non-weird" for us to get a better grasp of what you're looking for. Do you mean characters that have no supernatural powers? A game whose lore isn't that far from the actual historical West? A dice system that isn't uncommon or unconventional?

ChrisGunter
2015-09-02, 05:14 PM
I believe that you will need to define "non-weird" for us to get a better grasp of what you're looking for. Do you mean characters that have no supernatural powers? A game whose lore isn't that far from the actual historical West? A dice system that isn't uncommon or unconventional?

Historical Old West setting. The die system doesn't matter much. d20, d100, d6. What I am looking for as well is a nice list of equipment. A list the distinguishes between pistols, rifles, etc. Such as not just stats for a pistol but stats for different pistols, peacemaker etc.

Geddy2112
2015-09-02, 05:53 PM
I have read good things about Boot Hill, but never personally played it. From what I have read it would be a good fit.

I really like Dogs in The Vineyard; it might be a bit too religion based for your taste but its a good west setting otherwise.

If you don't mind a late 1880's or 1890's you can use Call of Cthulhu has good mechanics, but is certainly designed for more bizarre Lovecraftian adventures in mind.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-02, 06:38 PM
I have read good things about Boot Hill, but never personally played it. From what I have read it would be a good fit.

I really like Dogs in The Vineyard; it might be a bit too religion based for your taste but its a good west setting otherwise.

If you don't mind a late 1880's or 1890's you can use Call of Cthulhu has good mechanics, but is certainly designed for more bizarre Lovecraftian adventures in mind.

Thank you for the input Geddy. I like what you did with your Monk dipping Pathfinder guide by the way.

Thrudd
2015-09-02, 06:46 PM
I've heard good things about a game called Aces & Eights, Shattered Frontier. Although it uses an alternative history timeline, you can just ignore that, otherwise it is a realistic wild west game.

GURPS Old West might work for you.

D20 Modern with D20 Past supplement.

Boot Hill was already mentioned, too, the 3e is probably the best version.

For maps of the territories, you can always google whatever year you want, I'm sure the internet has them.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-02, 06:51 PM
I've heard good things about a game called Aces & Eights, Shattered Frontier. Although it uses an alternative history timeline, you can just ignore that, otherwise it is a realistic wild west game.

GURPS Old West might work for you.

D20 Modern with D20 Past supplement.

Boot Hill was already mentioned, too, the 3e is probably the best version.

For maps of the territories, you can always google whatever year you want, I'm sure the internet has them.

I appreciate it Thrudd. I thought about d20 Modern and wondered if they had anything for old west. I may check out this Past supplement. Didn't know anything about it. Does it have stats for old west weapons?

BootStrapTommy
2015-09-02, 06:57 PM
*insert another shameless GURPS plug here*

KoboldCleric
2015-09-02, 08:57 PM
If you're willing to do a little re-fluffing Clockwork Dominion (http://reliquarygamestudios.com/) might be perfect for you. On it's face it's a victorian steampunk setting, but it has roughly period firearms (late 1800s), and there is no reason you can't just ignore anything else too steampunky for you.

Mechanically it'd be great for evoking that wild west gunslinger feel in no small part because the dynamic initiative system specifically encourages taking risks and expending long term advantages for short term gains (sacrificing future actions to jump around the initiative order and interrupt others for example).

ChrisGunter
2015-09-02, 09:12 PM
If you're willing to do a little re-fluffing Clockwork Dominion (http://reliquarygamestudios.com/) might be perfect for you. On it's face it's a victorian steampunk setting, but it has roughly period firearms (late 1800s), and there is no reason you can't just ignore anything else too steampunky for you.

Mechanically it'd be great for evoking that wild west gunslinger feel in no small part because the dynamic initiative system specifically encourages taking risks and expending long term advantages for short term gains (sacrificing future actions to jump around the initiative order and interrupt others for example).

I've downloaded the starter PDF and am going to read over it. Thank you. Never heard of it until now. I'll let you know what I think.

Thrudd
2015-09-02, 10:37 PM
I appreciate it Thrudd. I thought about d20 Modern and wondered if they had anything for old west. I may check out this Past supplement. Didn't know anything about it. Does it have stats for old west weapons?

Yes, It covers tech from enlightenment era up to 1940's, so I don't know if the level of detail will be enough for you. But it has a decent list of weapons. There's definately feats and skills and classes you can apply to that type of setting. Unfortunately, half the book is presenting settings that combine historical settings with supernatural stuff, swashbuckling pirates and magic, 1870's supernatural pulp adventure, and 1930's pulp adventure with nazis and superscience.

Edit: I've found a couple other d20 wild west games, one just called OGL Wild West, that looks like d20 modern "reskinned" for the wild west setting. The other called Sidewinder Recoiled that apparently is a 3rd party wild west supplement for d20 modern. I don't know of the quality of either.

Firest Kathon
2015-09-03, 03:49 AM
I really like the Deadlands system, you can just rip out all the supernatural stuff and play it in a "normal" setting.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-03, 06:23 AM
I think there's a D20 Modern supplement with suitable rules - maybe D20 Past?

Asmodai
2015-09-03, 08:23 AM
I really like the Deadlands system, you can just rip out all the supernatural stuff and play it in a "normal" setting.

I have to second this. Without all the supernatural extras, Deadlands is a very flavourful system, and the cards and poker chips just add to the charm. It also has a unique progression system where you need to balance your need for character upgrades and your need for survival/success.

goto124
2015-09-03, 09:10 AM
Can you play it with actual cards... and poker chips... and an entire poker table... with poker dice?

Must the money be fake though?

hamlet
2015-09-03, 09:27 AM
Aces & Eights from Kenzerco. A really good system, no weird stuff, and really good gameplay. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-03, 12:31 PM
Yes, It covers tech from enlightenment era up to 1940's, so I don't know if the level of detail will be enough for you. But it has a decent list of weapons. There's definately feats and skills and classes you can apply to that type of setting. Unfortunately, half the book is presenting settings that combine historical settings with supernatural stuff, swashbuckling pirates and magic, 1870's supernatural pulp adventure, and 1930's pulp adventure with nazis and superscience.

Edit: I've found a couple other d20 wild west games, one just called OGL Wild West, that looks like d20 modern "reskinned" for the wild west setting. The other called Sidewinder Recoiled that apparently is a 3rd party wild west supplement for d20 modern. I don't know of the quality of either.

Thrudd, I like that fact of using d20 system since I'm so familiar with it. I will give these a look. Thank you.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-03, 12:33 PM
Aces & Eights from Kenzerco. A really good system, no weird stuff, and really good gameplay. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I'm leaning heavy on that one right now Hamlet. I'm on the verge of letting loose the $25 for the PDF. Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper?

Anonymouswizard
2015-09-03, 05:16 PM
I do suggest GURPS, but then I just love it to the point where the only game I don't see myself using it for is Eclipse Phase. I'm just annoyed that I can't buy any of the -tech books for decent prices, because I really want to run a Space Opera campaign (if I buy the pdf can I legally print out a copy for at-table reference? As many printed copies as I want? I don't actually know). The Characters book of the basic set, and the (I think) High Tech book should be all you need for a 'classic' or 'weird' Wild West, although the Campaigns book from the Basic Set is also good.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-03, 05:36 PM
I do suggest GURPS, but then I just love it to the point where the only game I don't see myself using it for is Eclipse Phase. I'm just annoyed that I can't buy any of the -tech books for decent prices, because I really want to run a Space Opera campaign (if I buy the pdf can I legally print out a copy for at-table reference? As many printed copies as I want? I don't actually know). The Characters book of the basic set, and the (I think) High Tech book should be all you need for a 'classic' or 'weird' Wild West, although the Campaigns book from the Basic Set is also good.

Anonymouswizard I do not think you can have the book copied but there is no reason you can't print out your pdf for at table reference. Just don't try and sell it etc etc. It's your book, your ink and your paper.

Thank you for your advice on GURPS. I do love the detail but I'm going to go for an all-in-one approach to resolve my needs if possible.

hamlet
2015-09-04, 07:42 AM
I'm leaning heavy on that one right now Hamlet. I'm on the verge of letting loose the $25 for the PDF. Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper?

If you had asked me that a couple months ago, I would have sent you my copy for the price of shipping. Getting married and combining housholds, especially with a non-gamer, makes you have to make some pretty heartwrenching cuts to the game book library, and that was one that had to go to a new home.

If you need an inexpensive copy, I believe that Kenzerco has a collection of them for sale that were damaged in shipping, but still useable. You can also try ebay. For less than $25 though? Dunno. It'd take some searching.

But I will say that it and it's printed up accessories are absolutely worth that cost.

ChrisGunter
2015-09-04, 10:28 AM
If you had asked me that a couple months ago, I would have sent you my copy for the price of shipping. Getting married and combining housholds, especially with a non-gamer, makes you have to make some pretty heartwrenching cuts to the game book library, and that was one that had to go to a new home.

If you need an inexpensive copy, I believe that Kenzerco has a collection of them for sale that were damaged in shipping, but still useable. You can also try ebay. For less than $25 though? Dunno. It'd take some searching.

But I will say that it and it's printed up accessories are absolutely worth that cost.

Congrats on the marriage Hamlet and my condolences on having to part with some old loved ones. I'm getting lots of positive replies to Aces and Eights and Boot Hill. I also have my eye on some others that have been mentioned. Including a free one called Tombstone.

LibraryOgre
2015-09-05, 09:23 AM
Aces and Eights (http://www.kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/), by Kenzer and Company, is supposed to be excellent.

Pluto!
2015-09-05, 06:09 PM
I love Dust Devils. It's about gunslingers haunted by their pasts and trapped in the spiraling decay of everything they have and hold dear.

You know - fun, light stuff.

Game-design wise it does some fun stuff with shared narration, and uses poker hands as a conflict resolution mechanic.