PDA

View Full Version : [optimization 3.5e] Need help for making a kobold character with core feats only

fulong
2015-09-02, 08:23 PM
So I'm going to be in an one shot campaign and I rolled a kobold since i can't choose my race. However, I'm restricted to just PHB 1, DMG, and PHB 2 feats. Although spells and classes from every sourcebooks is available. We are starting at level 2. So I need suggestion or advice to help me optimize this kobold character.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-02, 08:57 PM
First of all congratulations, you got screwed.

Now that I have that out of the way, I am reminded of a thread I posted a while back (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?434557-Near-Impossible-Optimization-Challenge) dealing with what to do when you get really unlucky with your starting rolls. While the details are different here, one of the principles remains the same. You are getting some serious ability score penalties and don't have access to the feats that actually make kobolds good. So go with something that doesn't really need those ability scores. Whiles feats are restricted to PHB 1&2 and DMG all of the Tier 1 classes still get plenty of support from those so Wizard, Cleric, Druid, etc. should be fine options.

fulong
2015-09-02, 11:54 PM
Yeah it's not like i want to pick kobold. I couldn't pick my race so my dm wants us all to roll for our race. Unfortunately, I get kobold. Oh well, it's an one shot so i am not worrying about it.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-03, 01:41 AM
What about non-book (online) sources? You'll want to look here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) even if you can't use online feats.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-03, 07:19 AM
So the real question here is how best to use the short list of feats available in the game to make a strong kobold character. Starting at level 2 is going to be rough, as something like Arcane Thesis: Enervation with Precise Shot for a wizard wouldn't take off until much later. (Out of curiosity, if this is a one-shot will there be any leveling at all?)

Maybe a Warlock with Summon Swarm and Eldritch Glaive for invocations and Combat Reflexes?
A Druid with Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning?

Darrin
2015-09-03, 08:08 AM
Druid 2 with a tower shield. Hide behind the tower shield, cast summon nature's ally, and let your summons + riding dog take care of the dangerous stuff.

carrdrivesyou
2015-09-04, 07:24 AM
Have you considered playing a Dragon Shaman? Although Kobolds take a penalty to CON (-2), you also get a better variety of Invocations, and with a little DM permission, a warlock's Invocations may not exactly be out of your depth. Dr. Sham also gets a bit of self healing, PLUS medium armor and shield proficiencies. Just blanket with your breath weapon, and turtle up behind your armor and size bonus. Have the caster cast reduce person on you for extras.

Also, a Beguiler is strictly INT based, with bonuses from a high DEX. Fill the rogue's shoes, with support from things like swift invisibility and such. Keep the enemies on their toes. Not to mention the size bonus to hide (+4 methinks).

-Carr

Grod_The_Giant
2015-09-04, 07:38 AM
Have you considered playing a Dragon Shaman? Although Kobolds take a penalty to CON (-2), you also get a better variety of Invocations, and with a little DM permission, a warlock's Invocations may not exactly be out of your depth. Dr. Sham also gets a bit of self healing, PLUS medium armor and shield proficiencies. Just blanket with your breath weapon, and turtle up behind your armor and size bonus. Have the caster cast reduce person on you for extras.
I'm pretty sure you're confusing Dragon Shaman with Dragonfire Adept. DS is in the PHB 2, and gets a crappy irregular breath weapon and crappy auras. DFA is in Dragon Magic, and gets an okay every-round breath weapon and invocations.

You should do fine as any caster of your choice, though. Str is irrelevant if you're not doing melee, and the Con penalty can be dealt with if you're not getting hit much. Wizard, Sorcerer, Beguiler, Druid should all be fine.

Heck, given that this is a low-level one-shot you could even grab a Duskblade and play him as a straight caster-- color spray, fire bolt, ray of enfeeblement, burning hands, obscuring mist, resist energy and cause fear are all lovely pseudo-wizard spells, while the armored casting and higher HD make you more survivable. You wind up with more spells known and fewer spells/day than a sorcerer, but when you run out of magic you can grab a longbow and plink away with quite respectable capacity.

Bard and Cleric are also perfectly viable, provided you stay at a distance. Ditto for an archer, although there aren't as many good options for that in the books offered, and you'll need at least one level of Fighter to fit in Precise Shot. (Duskblade 1/Fighter 1 could be fun)

carrdrivesyou
2015-09-04, 07:45 AM
I'm pretty sure you're confusing Dragon Shaman with Dragonfire Adept. DS is in the PHB 2, and gets a crappy irregular breath weapon and crappy auras. DFA is in Dragon Magic, and gets an okay every-round breath weapon and invocations.

You should do fine as any caster of your choice, though. Str is irrelevant if you're not doing melee, and the Con penalty can be dealt with if you're not getting hit much. Wizard, Sorcerer, Beguiler, Druid should all be fine.

Heck, given that this is a low-level one-shot you could even grab a Duskblade and play him as a straight caster-- color spray, fire bolt, ray of enfeeblement, burning hands, obscuring mist, resist energy and cause fear are all lovely pseudo-wizard spells, while the armored casting and higher HD make you more survivable. You wind up with more spells known and fewer spells/day than a sorcerer, but when you run out of magic you can grab a longbow and plink away with quite respectable capacity.

Bard and Cleric are also perfectly viable, provided you stay at a distance. Ditto for an archer, although there aren't as many good options for that in the books offered, and you'll need at least one level of Fighter to fit in Precise Shot. (Duskblade 1/Fighter 1 could be fun)

Yep, you're right there. My mistake haha.
Just about any caster would do well. Just remember your spell selection will be limited.
Duskblade IS more survivable, but tops out at 5th level slots. Personally, I'd rather go full blasty sorcerer.

Another thought is a bard10/dragon disciple 10. Not a great prestige class, but you CON boosts plus natural armor boosts (that stack). Natural attacks are garbage, but you'll also receive free flight and a d10 hit die. It's a more sturdy build, but lacks the bard's more...potent spells.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-09-04, 01:20 PM
Duskblade IS more survivable, but tops out at 5th level slots.
Another thought is a bard10/dragon disciple 10.
The OP said "one shot campaign" and "level 2." Pretty sure neither thing suggests a late-blossoming build.

fulong
2015-09-08, 07:07 PM
Aye i'm thinking about going duskblade or druid.