PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question about Div.Met. and Pers.Spell

F.L.
2007-05-10, 05:04 PM
If you take a cleric of the Trickery domain (L.9 spell is Time Stop), by RAW, can you apply a divine persistent spell to Time Stop? Further, with the 24 hour duration, can you rest/refresh spells inside the time stop?

Solophoenix
2007-05-10, 05:09 PM
I'm unsure about the metamagic validity. But I would definitely say you can't rest to prepare spells, as time stop doesn't actually create more time for you, it just speeds your movement up so much that it seems like everything is frozen. Also, clerics need to pray for spells at the same time each day anyway.

JaronK
2007-05-10, 05:23 PM
You can't do it. Custserv ruled that Timestop effectively has a duration of instantaneous, and thus can't be persisted.

JaronK

brian c
2007-05-10, 05:28 PM
You can't do it. Custserv ruled that Timestop effectively has a duration of instantaneous, and thus can't be persisted.

JaronK

Yeah, it's not so much creating a duration of time as instantaneously stretching time for you, and the d4 is only to determine how much it stretched time.

(Please don't kill catgirls over this)

F.L.
2007-05-10, 05:45 PM
Drat. I had liked the concept of a trickery cleric (aside from being overpowered, naturally) going to fortified dungeons, setting up 14,400 rounds of time stop, and then taking everything not nailed down, and setting up pranks and tricks for everyone in the place. Also, the whole killing all enemies in an instant thing.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 06:22 PM
setting up 14,400 rounds of time stopYou've seriously underestimated the potential you could've had.

As mentioned, Time Stop doesn't stop the universe, it makes you incredibly fast, to the point that time doesn't advance until the spell wears off. A persistant Time Stop would last 24 hours. Your spell that prevents time from passing, has a time limit.

It would never end unless dispelled.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-05-11, 10:56 AM
Remember, kids - Persistent Power + Temporal Acceleration still works!

Arbitrarity
2007-05-11, 11:12 AM
Remember kids, there are other ways than Div.Metacheese.

There's the ubercheese, the...
*Gasp*

Incanta...
Guuh
*chokes and dies on cottage cheese*

JaronK
2007-05-11, 03:34 PM
Anima Mages can also use 3 metamagics free each day.

JaronK

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-12, 01:11 AM
DMM is only broken when you use Cracksticks (known in the book as Nightsticks) in conjunction. Otherwise it's two extra feats to get enough Turns to make a single free Persist... which isn't too broken.

Another, possibly nastier method of breaking DMM is to buff up every day...

DMM Chain Reach Greater Magic Weapon and DMM Chain Reach Greater Magic Vestments. Now my whole party has +5 enhancement modifier to weapons and armor (and possibly shields, depending on how you want to rule it) all day long. Possibly DMM Extend as well if you don't have high enough level for it to last all day long.

Basically, extended buff-bot as well as heal-bot. It may not be as broken as DMM Persist Divine Power and Righteous Might, but hey... it's a lot more party and DM friendly.

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-12, 01:55 AM
DMM is only broken when you use Cracksticks (known in the book as Nightsticks) in conjunction. Otherwise it's two extra feats to get enough Turns to make a single free Persist... which isn't too broken.

Undeath domain gives Extra Turning as a bonus feat, and Sacred Exorcist continues cleric casting while also granting 3 (I think) more extra turning feats over 10 levels.

You could have 17 turn attempts/day with 0 feats spent and 10 charisma.