PDA

View Full Version : Need a list of magical mythological artifacts.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-02, 09:52 PM
So, im writing this story and the main character goes around and "acquires" artifacts, and uses them to get more artifacts.

Problem is I am running out of artifacts. I am using Wikipedia's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_objects) list on artifacts, and it seems like they are either

a. the same artifact over and over.
b. too powerful
or
c. completely useless

Also there is not a single "bag of holding"-esque item in any mythology I can find! So there is that.

So I ask you guys for some help, I need artifacts.

AmberVael
2015-09-03, 12:00 AM
If that massive list isn't helping you I doubt the few tidbits I know could help for a more general list. But...

Also there is not a single "bag of holding"-esque item in any mythology I can find! So there is that.

Fionn mac Cumhail's crane-skin bag, perhaps? Full when the tide was in, empty when the tide was out. Bit of an odd one, and perhaps associated with some specific treasures, but the implication seemed to be that they were placed there once and could be taken out. No reason I know of that you couldn't store other things in it.

Serpentine
2015-09-03, 09:31 AM
You could maybe try and check out some Australian and Islander legends. For example, I seem to recall something about a bullroarer that could summon storms and certainly they were meant to have other powers. It's probably a bit too similar to the story of Prometheus, but I'm sure I've heard a story to do with Aboriginal fire sticks, as well. Then there's the Maori Hei-tiki, as well - I bet there's something in there.

Eldan
2015-09-03, 09:46 AM
In the Mabinogion (Welsh Mythology) there was a bag that held endless supplies of food, if I remember correctly.

Manannan Mac Lir also had a magic bag that he pulled all manner of stuff out of.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-03, 10:43 AM
If that massive list isn't helping you I doubt the few tidbits I know could help for a more general list. But...

Fionn mac Cumhail's crane-skin bag, perhaps? Full when the tide was in, empty when the tide was out. Bit of an odd one, and perhaps associated with some specific treasures, but the implication seemed to be that they were placed there once and could be taken out. No reason I know of that you couldn't store other things in it.

How does that work? Two separate storage spaces? or was it you could only pull things out when the tide was in, and put things in when it was out?

You could maybe try and check out some Australian and Islander legends. For example, I seem to recall something about a bullroarer that could summon storms and certainly they were meant to have other powers. It's probably a bit too similar to the story of Prometheus, but I'm sure I've heard a story to do with Aboriginal fire sticks, as well. Then there's the Maori Hei-tiki, as well - I bet there's something in there.

What is a bullroarer? my search came up with like 5 different things.

Maori Hel-tiki (Dang Australia you guys got some hard to pronounce names) what/who is he/she/it and what did he/she/it do?

In the Mabinogion (Welsh Mythology) there was a bag that held endless supplies of food, if I remember correctly.

Manannan Mac Lir also had a magic bag that he pulled all manner of stuff out of.

The bag of endless food sounds useful, but what is its name or who used it?

and Manannan Mac Lir's (is that really the correct spelling?) bag sound good but was it a bag of tricks or a bag of holding and he is just really prepared?

Thanks by the way, for just responding in general. My threads rarely get responses, so this made me happy.

Eldan
2015-09-03, 11:37 AM
Can't find the name of any of the bags, if they even have any. And I don't think the legends ever specify the powers of the bags. Mac Lir just needs stuff, so he has it.

The Maori are the natives of New Zealand.

AmberVael
2015-09-03, 11:42 AM
How does that work? Two separate storage spaces? or was it you could only pull things out when the tide was in, and put things in when it was out?

It was basically a limitation and quirk in using the item as I understood it. When the tide is out, you can't use the bag at all- nothing goes in or out. When the tide is in, it functions normally and you can open it and pull out (and presumably put in) anything you want.

Killer Angel
2015-09-03, 01:05 PM
What is a bullroarer? my search came up with like 5 different things..

Pretty sure it's this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ODGE2f7gLQ).

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-03, 01:21 PM
Can't find the name of any of the bags, if they even have any. And I don't think the legends ever specify the powers of the bags. Mac Lir just needs stuff, so he has it.

The Maori are the natives of New Zealand.

What stuff did Mac Lir pull out of the bag?

It was basically a limitation and quirk in using the item as I understood it. When the tide is out, you can't use the bag at all- nothing goes in or out. When the tide is in, it functions normally and you can open it and pull out (and presumably put in) anything you want.

Anything, regardless of size or shape?

Pretty sure it's this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ODGE2f7gLQ).
Oh, so that's how you use that. Cool.

AmberVael
2015-09-03, 01:23 PM
Anything, regardless of size or shape?

Its not a very fleshed out bit of legend, so there are few details I can give with certainty, but the way the treasures were described (both in kind and in number) definitely implied that it was holding a bunch of crazy stuff. My understanding is that the bag was pretty small, something that hung on a necklace, but it contained everything from gems to golden treasures to weaponry.

Eldan
2015-09-03, 05:31 PM
What stuff did Mac Lir pull out of the bag?

Tools, animals and at least one point, living people.

TheThan
2015-09-03, 11:31 PM
What sort of legendary artifacts are you looking for specifically?

Most of the stuff listed in that Wiki link are weapons and armor, because that’s what people needed back when those legends were created. A warrior needed a good weapon and armor to survive and do daring deeds, rescue damsels in distress, fight of monsters etc. So naturally legendary items tend to reflect that.

Although reading through it I think you have a lot more to work with here than you realize.

Our hero needs to acquire the Stone of Scone and return it to it’s rightful resting place. In order to do that, he has to sneak into Westminster Abby. To do that he needs the Helm of Darkness to become invisible, allowing him to sneak past the guards. He then needs a hand of glory to open the locks (normal lockpics won’t work), then he needs megingjörð ( Thor’s magical belt) to double his strength so he can lift the stone and carry it out.

To do all this, he needs to travel to Greece to locate and get the helm, then locate a hand somewhere in Europe, then go up to Scandinavia to locate the belt, Then go back to England, break into the Abby, steal take the stone and return it to Scotland. That’s a lot of writing so it should keep you busy.

Now another question is simple, what does this character do with his acquisitions aver he has them? Does he keep them on his person? Does he store them for future use?

Brother Oni
2015-09-04, 02:29 AM
The bag of endless food sounds useful, but what is its name or who used it?

I've not heard of a bag of endless food, but I've heard of a cauldron - the Cauldron of the Dagda or Cauldron of Plenty, which did the same. It was said that any many who stuck his fork into it would withdraw meat from it and that no company would go away unsated (presumably it would provide enough foot to feed a few hundred people). In some interpretations I've read, there's a restriction of that it would not feed a coward.

There were three other major Gaelic treasures or artifacts: The Stone of Dal, which would cry out when the true king of Ireland would sit on it; the Spear of Lug which constantly howled for blood and no man or army could withstand (it was kept sedated between battles by keeping it covered with crushed poppies); and the Sword of Nuadu, which no foe could escape or resist once it was drawn (in some legends, it's described as Nuadu's Cainnel or a glowing bright torch).

Serpentine
2015-09-04, 05:54 AM
What is a bullroarer? my search came up with like 5 different things.

Maori Hel-tiki (Dang Australia you guys got some hard to pronounce names) what/who is he/she/it and what did he/she/it do?.

More or less, a bullroarer is a board on a rope that hums when you spin it. Used in rituals and the like.

The Maori (MMOW-ree) are the native people of New Zealand. The hei-tiki (often just called tiki, although Wikipedia says that refers to something else, which you might also want to check out) are little humanoid figured, often carved from jade and worn as an amulet. I bet there's all sorts of mythical weapons and tools in the stories of native people all over the place - the Maori jade clubs are awesome and beautiful, and returning boomerangs are already half magical.

Gnomvid
2015-09-04, 07:10 AM
Sami shamanic drum perhaps?
The shaman's used them to be able to mediate between Heaven and Earth, they also possess magical powers over wind and other elements, and be assits with shape shifting and to visit Jábmeájmoo, the Land of the Dead.
More info here http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/481-strange-lapps-and-their-magical-drumming-maps

Scarlet Knight
2015-09-04, 07:21 AM
I always played Santa Claus's sack as an artifact bag of holding...

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-04, 11:04 AM
Well, Baba Yaga's hut is a tiny hut on the outside and a colossal palace on the inside, so its carrying capacity is presumably vast.

And it's mounted on chicken legs, so it's mobile.

It's not exactly a bag, though. More of a "self-propelled warehouse of holding." :smallbiggrin:

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-04, 06:23 PM
Its not a very fleshed out bit of legend, so there are few details I can give with certainty, but the way the treasures were described (both in kind and in number) definitely implied that it was holding a bunch of crazy stuff. My understanding is that the bag was pretty small, something that hung on a necklace, but it contained everything from gems to golden treasures to weaponry.

That could work.

Tools, animals and at least one point, living people.

That could also work.

What sort of legendary artifacts are you looking for specifically?

Most of the stuff listed in that Wiki link are weapons and armor, because that’s what people needed back when those legends were created. A warrior needed a good weapon and armor to survive and do daring deeds, rescue damsels in distress, fight of monsters etc. So naturally legendary items tend to reflect that.

Although reading through it I think you have a lot more to work with here than you realize.

Our hero needs to acquire the Stone of Scone and return it to it’s rightful resting place. In order to do that, he has to sneak into Westminster Abby. To do that he needs the Helm of Darkness to become invisible, allowing him to sneak past the guards. He then needs a hand of glory to open the locks (normal lockpics won’t work), then he needs megingjörð ( Thor’s magical belt) to double his strength so he can lift the stone and carry it out.

To do all this, he needs to travel to Greece to locate and get the helm, then locate a hand somewhere in Europe, then go up to Scandinavia to locate the belt, Then go back to England, break into the Abby, steal take the stone and return it to Scotland. That’s a lot of writing so it should keep you busy.

Now another question is simple, what does this character do with his acquisitions aver he has them? Does he keep them on his person? Does he store them for future use?

Who said he was a hero?:smallamused:
But, really i haven't fleshed out his final goal. I know it is not "TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE!" (trumpetsound). Or to safeguard the artifacts. What I do know is he is not a nice guy.

I do not know what artifacts I am looking for specifically, but, I know some of the artifacts he is going to get.

The Tarnhelm - grants Invisibility, moderate shape shifting, and occasional teleportation.
Excalibur, Durendal, and Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi - (a cookie to every one who gets that reference)
Mjolnir
The Philosopher Stone - for money and immortality
Zeus's Lightning bolt
Nemean lion skin
He is also going to get some non-mythological artifacts that gained power by being used by or being near a legendary figure (a la Warehouse 13) such as

Simo Häyhä's Mosin–Nagant - abilities undecided
Tesla's Teleforce gun - A.K.A. DEATH RAY
The Art of War, first edition - grants anyone who carries it unparalleled strategic and tactical ability.
Also he gets a super suit eventually, called "The Mark VII Modular Exo-Skeletal Bio-Enhancement Suit", Code-named "TALOS".

I've not heard of a bag of endless food, but I've heard of a cauldron - the Cauldron of the Dagda or Cauldron of Plenty, which did the same. It was said that any many who stuck his fork into it would withdraw meat from it and that no company would go away unsated (presumably it would provide enough foot to feed a few hundred people). In some interpretations I've read, there's a restriction of that it would not feed a coward.

There were three other major Gaelic treasures or artifacts: The Stone of Dal, which would cry out when the true king of Ireland would sit on it; the Spear of Lug which constantly howled for blood and no man or army could withstand (it was kept sedated between battles by keeping it covered with crushed poppies); and the Sword of Nuadu, which no foe could escape or resist once it was drawn (in some legends, it's described as Nuadu's Cainnel or a glowing bright torch).

*ScribbleScribble* Cauldron of Dagda/Cauldron of Plenty, good, good.

The Stone of Dal seems rather useless for my purposes.

Spear of Lug could work. Same for Sword of Nuadu/Nuadu's Cainnel.

More or less, a bullroarer is a board on a rope that hums when you spin it. Used in rituals and the like.

The Maori (MMOW-ree) are the native people of New Zealand. The hei-tiki (often just called tiki, although Wikipedia says that refers to something else, which you might also want to check out) are little humanoid figured, often carved from jade and worn as an amulet. I bet there's all sorts of mythical weapons and tools in the stories of native people all over the place - the Maori jade clubs are awesome and beautiful, and returning boomerangs are already half magical.

Yeah, I figured out the Hel-tiki thing, thanks anyway though.

Boomerangs, hmm, are there any legendary ones? I'll have to look into that.

Sami shamanic drum perhaps?
The shaman's used them to be able to mediate between Heaven and Earth, they also possess magical powers over wind and other elements, and be assits with shape shifting and to visit Jábmeájmoo, the Land of the Dead.
More info here http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/481-strange-lapps-and-their-magical-drumming-maps

Sounds cool, I'll look it up.

I always played Santa Claus's sack as an artifact bag of holding...

*CoughCough* *ClearsThroat*

Scarlet Knight! YOU GENIUS!

Well, Baba Yaga's hut is a tiny hut on the outside and a colossal palace on the inside, so its carrying capacity is presumably vast.

And it's mounted on chicken legs, so it's mobile.

It's not exactly a bag, though. More of a "self-propelled warehouse of holding." :smallbiggrin:

That sounds good as a base of operations, but I thought her house was a giant Mortar & Pestal.

BannedInSchool
2015-09-04, 06:42 PM
That sounds good as a base of operations, but I thought her house was a giant Mortar & Pestal.
Now I'm not remembering if it was a different witch or Baba Yaga, but some witch flew around with a large mortar and pestle.

The Chronicles of Prydain had a bunch of Welsh magical artifacts in a treasure vault in the final volume, and one of the characters had that wallet of endless food. I'm afraid I don't remember any of the other artifacts at the moment other than maybe a plow that would drive itself. Oh, and there's the Black Cauldron, which had other powers besides making zombie before the Big Bad corrupted it, but again I don't remember exactly what.

TheThan
2015-09-04, 07:58 PM
Who said he was a hero?:smallamused:
But, really i haven't fleshed out his final goal. I know it is not "TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE!" (trumpetsound). Or to safeguard the artifacts. What I do know is he is not a nice guy.

I think you missed the point. It doesn’t matter whether this guy is a good guy or not. What matters is that he needs an end goal and a series of obstacles in which his magical artifacts will allow him to overcome.

Indiana Jones didn’t go after the Holy Grail, the Arc of the Covenant or the Sankara Stones simply because he wanted them, no he had to go after them to prevent the Nazis from getting them and conquering the world and to stop the Thuggee cult from getting them all and enslaving the world (yeah, subtle differences but still), freeing the slave children and to bring peace, prosperity etc back to the village. Yeah sure, he uses the excuse of fortune and glory but meh, his motivations become clear.

So I suggest you decide what this guy’s motivations are, then decide what sort of encounters he stands to face, what blocks his path to getting whatever his motivation is. From there you can work out what items he needs and what items he doesn’t.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-04, 10:28 PM

That's her flying machine. If I recall correctly, she grinds furiously with the pestle as the "material component" of the magic causing it to fly rapidly through the air. Sort of a bizarre variant on the bicycle, in a way. :smallbiggrin:

Rodin
2015-09-04, 11:00 PM

There's also the Cornucopia, or Horn of Plenty. It was a Greek/Roman myth where the horn of one of the gods was broken off and from then on continually supplied nourishment.

Also, while not a traditional treasure you could go for something like Hermes/Mercury's winged sandals.

Eldan
2015-09-05, 04:44 PM
Excalibur, Durendal, and Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi - (a cookie to every one who gets that reference)

The obvious one would be Dresden.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-05, 04:55 PM
I think you missed the point. It doesn’t matter whether this guy is a good guy or not. What matters is that he needs an end goal and a series of obstacles in which his magical artifacts will allow him to overcome.

Indiana Jones didn’t go after the Holy Grail, the Arc of the Covenant or the Sankara Stones simply because he wanted them, no he had to go after them to prevent the Nazis from getting them and conquering the world and to stop the Thuggee cult from getting them all and enslaving the world (yeah, subtle differences but still), freeing the slave children and to bring peace, prosperity etc back to the village. Yeah sure, he uses the excuse of fortune and glory but meh, his motivations become clear.

So I suggest you decide what this guy’s motivations are, then decide what sort of encounters he stands to face, what blocks his path to getting whatever his motivation is. From there you can work out what items he needs and what items he doesn’t.

I know what his motives are just not his end goal. He collects artifacts to get more and more power, and also because it is in his job description.

That's her flying machine. If I recall correctly, she grinds furiously with the pestle as the "material component" of the magic causing it to fly rapidly through the air. Sort of a bizarre variant on the bicycle, in a way. :smallbiggrin:

Right, it was the flying machine. I remember now.

There's also the Cornucopia, or Horn of Plenty. It was a Greek/Roman myth where the horn of one of the gods was broken off and from then on continually supplied nourishment.

Also, while not a traditional treasure you could go for something like Hermes/Mercury's winged sandals.

Cornucopia/Horn of Plenty, added to the list.

The obvious one would be Dresden.

You get a cookie!

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-07, 04:33 AM
The Tarnhelm - grants Invisibility, moderate shape shifting, and occasional teleportation.

That one's basically fictional rather than mythological as its basically invented by Wagner.

The more accurate version of the item is the Tarncappe ("cloak of concealment") which makes one invisible and sometimes grants super strength. Wagner gave it a shape shifting power (it turns the Dwarf Fafnier into a Dragon so its not 'moderate') just to reduce the amount of different kinds of magic in the story, originally shape-shifting was just power or skill the giants had. The teleportation thing is just Wagner pulling plot convenient rubbish out of his arse.

For an actual teleportation space warping fast travel item, there's Seven-league boots. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-league_boots)

For an item from actual Norse mythology that lets you shapeshift, there's a Feather cloak Loki borrows to visit Jotunheim after Mjolnier is stolen that lets you turn into a bird. Related is the mantle of the swan maidens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_maiden), which is basically the same concept as the Selkie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie) skin and the Japanese heavenly raiment. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagoromo_%28play%29)

The Philosopher Stone - for money and immortality

That's not an artefact.

Stealing a philosopher's stone is also cheating in a way that acquiring other items isn't. Knowing how to make one is a much more important ability than owning one. In fact, merely owning one without understanding it might be entirely useless.

As a representation of the quest for scientific knowledge, reducing it to a simple rock that does stuff is missing the point.

Zeus's Lightning bolt

That should be bolts plural or 'one of' if its singular.

Brother Oni
2015-09-07, 06:28 AM
Simo Häyhä's Mosin–Nagant - abilities undecided

I'd say the same as the Saint of Killer's Walker Colts - never jam, never need to reload, unerring accuracy and any wound inflicted by them would be mortal. In the Preacher graphic novels, the Saint's shots could penetrate tank armour to hit and kill the crew inside.

Eldan
2015-09-07, 07:59 AM
I was just about to say that about the Philosopher's Stone. It's sometimes described as an object, but the idea of it is much more important. The goal of the magnum opus is not chrysopoeia or the elixir of life. They are side effects of the enlightenment that one gains in When people like King Salomon or Hermes Trismegistos achieve Rubedo, they aren't just making a piece of red rock with magical powers. They achieve the highest level of spiritual enlightenment, which includes knowledge of the soul (hence immortality) and of all matter (hence transmutation.)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-07, 07:47 PM
Tarnhelm
That one's basically fictional rather than mythological as its basically invented by Wagner.

The more accurate version of the item is the Tarncappe ("cloak of concealment") which makes one invisible and sometimes grants super strength. Wagner gave it a shape shifting power (it turns the Dwarf Fafnier into a Dragon so its not 'moderate') just to reduce the amount of different kinds of magic in the story, originally shape-shifting was just power or skill the giants had. The teleportation thing is just Wagner pulling plot convenient rubbish out of his arse.

For an actual teleportation space warping fast travel item, there's Seven-league boots. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-league_boots)

For an item from actual Norse mythology that lets you shapeshift, there's a Feather cloak Loki borrows to visit Jotunheim after Mjolnier is stolen that lets you turn into a bird. Related is the mantle of the swan maidens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_maiden), which is basically the same concept as the Selkie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie) skin and the Japanese heavenly raiment. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagoromo_%28play%29)

Philosopher stone

That's not an artefact.

Stealing a philosopher's stone is also cheating in a way that acquiring other items isn't. Knowing how to make one is a much more important ability than owning one. In fact, merely owning one without understanding it might be entirely useless.

As a representation of the quest for scientific knowledge, reducing it to a simple rock that does stuff is missing the point.

Zeus's Lightning Bolt

That should be bolts plural or 'one of' if its singular.

For the Tarnhelm. I needed an item to give to my main character, that would allow him to travel easily, Tarnehlm fit the bill so nicely I already wrote it in. Although, The Tarncappe would be too hard to replace it with.

For the Philosopher Stone, I guess I could swap it out for Nábrók (Death Underpants) for the money component, and The Crown of Immortality, for immortality.

And for Zeus's Lightning Bolt(s). I thought he only had one and it just reappeared in his hands when he used it. Otherwise wouldn't he eventually run out?

I'd say the same as the Saint of Killer's Walker Colts - never jam, never need to reload, unerring accuracy and any wound inflicted by them would be mortal. In the Preacher graphic novels, the Saint's shots could penetrate tank armour to hit and kill the crew inside.

That, seems a bit excessive. Then again... I did give him immortality, and teleportation.

I was just about to say that about the Philosopher's Stone. It's sometimes described as an object, but the idea of it is much more important. The goal of the magnum opus is not chrysopoeia or the elixir of life. They are side effects of the enlightenment that one gains in When people like King Salomon or Hermes Trismegistos achieve Rubedo, they aren't just making a piece of red rock with magical powers. They achieve the highest level of spiritual enlightenment, which includes knowledge of the soul (hence immortality) and of all matter (hence transmutation.)

As above.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-08, 05:07 AM
For the Tarnhelm. I needed an item to give to my main character, that would allow him to travel easily, Tarnehlm fit the bill so nicely I already wrote it in. Although, The Tarncappe would be too hard to replace it with.

For the Philosopher Stone, I guess I could swap it out for Nábrók (Death Underpants) for the money component, and The Crown of Immortality, for immortality.

Andvaranaut (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andvaranaut) is from norse mythology and makes infinite gold rings.

Most artefacts of immortality have the same problem. They're basically win-states so having one before the end of the story and using it to solve problems is missing the point. An enlightened being shouldn't be getting into trouble that would require immortality in the first place. Villains like Koschei the Deathless are the exception but for their own narrative reason.

If you just want to be hard to kill and not have to live a long time, there's Excalibur's Scabbard (King Arthur is basically a heroic mirror version of Koschei in this aspect). That makes your wounds never bleed which is somehow implied to make you functionally unkillable. If you just want to recover from wounds there are numerous healing potions and elixers, RPGs didn't make those up.

And for Zeus's Lightning Bolt(s). I thought he only had one and it just reappeared in his hands when he used it. Otherwise wouldn't he eventually run out?

In Fantasia Hephaestus is constantly making more, so that's probably confusing me. In Greek Mythology its actually the three Cyclops that give Zeus his weapon. Most translations of the story use 'bolts' plural but I can't read ancient Greek. The few times Zeus actually fights he does throw lots of them (unlike Indra who tends to throw only one with more fanfare).

The Thunderbolt was a symbol in Greek art, but one interpretation of the many spoked Greek thunderbolt is that it represents a bundle of thunderbolts. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Puteal_de_la_Moncloa_%28M.A.N._Madrid%29_03.jpg. The Indian equivilant, the Vajra is normally described as being a symbol weapon.

Telonius
2015-09-08, 10:05 AM
Would fairy tales be sufficiently "mythological" for you? Jack and the Beanstalk has a few: the magic beans, a magic harp, the golden goose...

Dragons' Blood (from the Germanic Nibelungen stories) is basically the same thing as the River Styx in Greek mythology. Dip yourself in it, and you're impervious to swords.

Iruka
2015-09-08, 10:48 AM
Would fairy tales be sufficiently "mythological" for you? Jack and the Beanstalk has a few: the magic beans, a magic harp, the golden goose...

If fairy tales are acceptable there is a ton of stuff in them: The pipe from The Pied Piper of Hamlin,, the mirror from Snow White, the spindle from Sleeping Beauty, the magic cloth from The Spirit in the Bottle and The Wishing-Table, the Gold-Ass, and the Cudgel in the Sack as well as The Knapsack, the Hat, and the Horn are all about the items in the title.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-08, 01:05 PM
Andvaranaut (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andvaranaut) is from norse mythology and makes infinite gold rings.

Most artefacts of immortality have the same problem. They're basically win-states so having one before the end of the story and using it to solve problems is missing the point. An enlightened being shouldn't be getting into trouble that would require immortality in the first place. Villains like Koschei the Deathless are the exception but for their own narrative reason.

If you just want to be hard to kill and not have to live a long time, there's Excalibur's Scabbard (King Arthur is basically a heroic mirror version of Koschei in this aspect). That makes your wounds never bleed which is somehow implied to make you functionally unkillable. If you just want to recover from wounds there are numerous healing potions and elixers, RPGs didn't make those up.

In Fantasia Hephaestus is constantly making more, so that's probably confusing me. In Greek Mythology its actually the three Cyclops that give Zeus his weapon. Most translations of the story use 'bolts' plural but I can't read ancient Greek. The few times Zeus actually fights he does throw lots of them (unlike Indra who tends to throw only one with more fanfare).

The Thunderbolt was a symbol in Greek art, but one interpretation of the many spoked Greek thunderbolt is that it represents a bundle of thunderbolts. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Puteal_de_la_Moncloa_%28M.A.N._Madrid%29_03.jpg. The Indian equivilant, the Vajra is normally described as being a symbol weapon.

I don't really intend for him to get True Immortality, where he can't die. Just eternal youth and everlasting life, and that's not until the end.

I've heard of Excalibur's Scabbard, but was that a trait of the scabbard on its own, or a trait that Excalibur gives to any scabbard?

Dragons' Blood (from the Germanic Nibelungen stories) is basically the same thing as the River Styx in Greek mythology. Dip yourself in it, and you're impervious to swords.

Only if the name is cool enough and/or the original owner had what amounts to a unique name. Magic bean's just don't work, too generic. And useless.

If fairy tales are acceptable there is a ton of stuff in them: The pipe from The Pied Piper of Hamlin,, the mirror from Snow White, the spindle from Sleeping Beauty, the magic cloth from The Spirit in the Bottle and The Wishing-Table, the Gold-Ass, and the Cudgel in the Sack as well as The Knapsack, the Hat, and the Horn are all about the items in the title.

As above so below.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-08, 02:43 PM
I don't really intend for him to get True Immortality, where he can't die. Just eternal youth and everlasting life, and that's not until the end.

Eternal Youth is pointless. Especially since guys don't have beauty standards that are limited by age anyway.

I've heard of Excalibur's Scabbard, but was that a trait of the scabbard on its own, or a trait that Excalibur gives to any scabbard?

A trait of the scabbard that's separate from Excalibur entirely. Seeing how Arthur is only vulnerable after the scabbard is stolen despite him still having the sword when he 'dies'.

Only if the name is cool enough and/or the original owner had what amounts to a unique name. Magic bean's just don't work, too generic. And useless.

Magic beans aren't generic, seeing how they're very specific to one fairy tale. Plenty of items you want could be argued to be more generic.

If fairy tales are acceptable there is a ton of stuff in them: The pipe from The Pied Piper of Hamlin

Pied Piper of Hamlin is town folkore rather than a fairy tale, which tend not to be place in real world geographical space. The Brother's Grimm did write a version of it in their book Deutsche Sagen, a folklore book separate from their more famous fairy tale book Kinder- und Hausmärchen.

Fairy tales are a often a better source of magic items than mythology, which tends to re-use items and be less inventive (the shear amount of fairy tales in their thousands means that they're just an archetype ridden but go to weirder places).

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-08, 02:51 PM
I usually wait 3 posts before responding but this one was important.

Eternal Youth is pointless. Especially since guys don't have beauty standards that are limited by age anyway.

Not if you are living for millennia and are fighting gods and god-level beings. Really need to be in your prime.

A trait of the scabbard that's separate from Excalibur entirely. Seeing how Arthur is only vulnerable after the scabbard is stolen despite him still having the sword when he 'dies'.

Well, i guess you can never have too many scabbards.

Magic beans aren't generic, seeing how they're very specific to one fairy tale. Plenty of items you want could be argued to be more generic.

I meant the name is very generic, while the effect is very useless for my purposes.

Pied Piper of Hamlin is town folkore rather than a fairy tale, which tend not to be place in real world geographical space. The Brother's Grimm did write a version of it in their book Deutsche Sagen, a folklore book separate from their more famous fairy tale book Kinder- und Hausmärchen.

Fairy tales are a often a better source of magic items than mythology, which tends to re-use items and be less inventive (the shear amount of fairy tales in their thousands means that they're just an archetype ridden but go to weirder places).[/QUOTE]

True, but they rarely give items cool names.

Oneris
2015-09-08, 03:09 PM
Bajiao Fan from Journey to the West grants control over fire.

NeZha's Wind and Fire Wheels (FengHuo Lung) grant flight and ability to absorb fire

XiongHuang Wine from Legend of the White Snake when given to transformed entities breaks the transformation.

Chinese mythology doesn't seem to have many inherently magical items. Seems they focus more on personal magical ability than magical implements.

nyjastul69
2015-09-08, 11:44 PM
Have you considered creating your own? Your reluctance to use the resources presented indicates that homebrewing them may be your best option.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-09, 04:06 AM
I meant the name is very generic, while the effect is very useless for my purposes.

Most of these things have very boring names, they're just in languages you don't understand. Tarnhelm is a boring descriptive name, its just less obvious when its in German. Excalibur is so weird because its gone through three languages without being translated. Mjolnir is mainly left untranslated because it was an modified version of archaic term by the time anyone wrote it down.

Part of the problem with Chinese artifacts is that their names are too hard to remember/pronounce untranslated so their confusing and descriptive translated names get used instead.

Eldan
2015-09-09, 04:25 AM
Yeah, that. Tarnhelm is quite obvious to anyone speaking modern German: Tarn=Stealth, Helm=Helmet.

Excalibur I'm really not sure about. Wiki lists several things: Escalibor, Escaliborc, Calliborc, Calibourne, Caliburnus and finally Calib (steel). Or Welsh Caled (hard) and bwlch (cleft). Or Irish Caladbolg (voracious).

Mjölnir is "The Grinder".

Oneris
2015-09-09, 06:49 AM
Part of the problem with Chinese artifacts is that their names are too hard to remember/pronounce untranslated so their confusing and descriptive translated names get used instead.

The problem with Chinese is that the language has reduced pretty the entire vocabulary of non-compound words into single syllables, so even a mere 3 character word, like XiWangMu ends up as the fairly unwieldy Queen Mother of the West. This, in addition to how poetic and eloquent Ancient Chinese literature is, makes translating anything a right pain in the arse. like the RuYi JinGu Ban, which ends up as either "The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod" or "As-You-Will Gold-Banded Cudgel", both of which sound really Engrishy.

What makes me mad is that most western translators goes out of their way to expand Chinese names into an extremely awkward translated English name, but are content to leave names in every other language untranslated.

Dienekes
2015-09-09, 09:46 AM

It should be noted that legends are not consistent. Including a lot of Greek myths, one of the famous ones is that apparently both Hephaestus and Athena were involved with each others births.

As to Zeus's lightning, there is one version of the Typhon battle, in which Zeus threw hundreds of bolts at the monster at once, which means that there were multiple bolts. However, in the earliest surviving record of the battle, Zeus defeats Typhon easily with one bolt. Though this is in Hesoid's Theogony, where Zeus does everything easily, and because we know mentions of Typhon from hundreds of years earlier (though no actual account of the battle), and more difficult renditions of the battle pop up frequently less than a century after the Theogony it's hard to know for sure what the earliest legends of the battle were like.

As to their production, the Cyclops's make the bolts, but later legends have Hephaestus and the Cyclops working together. Pick which ever version you like.

Brother Oni
2015-09-09, 09:47 AM
Some additional artifacts:

The Three Fates' distaff, spindle, measuring rod and shears, which determine the lifespan of all men, although they would probably be on the overly high power side.

The Chinese Book of Life and Death, which is a record of the names of all living things, used to sort out the fate and hence proper punishment/reward after death and subsequent reincarnation.

A more esoteric one: the Mandate of Heaven. A phrase used to describe the Divine Right to Rule in Chinese culture, some interpretations have it as an actual physical object.

Bajiao Fan from Journey to the West grants control over fire.

NeZha's Wind and Fire Wheels (FengHuo Lung) grant flight and ability to absorb fire

XiongHuang Wine from Legend of the White Snake when given to transformed entities breaks the transformation.

Chinese mythology doesn't seem to have many inherently magical items. Seems they focus more on personal magical ability than magical implements.

To a degree. Sun Kung picked up cloud walking boots, a phoenix feather cap and a golden mail shirt in addition to his golden tipped cudgel, but I agree most of his fighting and abilities derive from experience and his 72 Transformations.

There's plenty of 'lesser' magical items (take a look at the massive amount of ghost hunting equipment from the Taoist tradition), but that's bordering on the board's no religion rule.

I've heard a hypothesis that the main reason for this, is differences between Japanese/Chinese cultures and Western, in that in the former, the person makes a weapon strong, while in the latter, the weapon makes the person strong.
An example would be in films, where the protagonist fights the antagonist for a gun in western films, while Eastern films, the weapon is incidental to the fight (often it's destroyed or otherwise lost early in the fight).

I'm undecided either way, but it's an interesting point.

For you maybe. :smalltongue:

To be more serious, I agree, especially since the translation can get significantly mangled depending on the translation method and differences in the source Chinese contributes to this.

The problem with Chinese is that the language has reduced pretty the entire vocabulary of non-compound words into single syllables, so even a mere 3 character word, like XiWangMu ends up as the fairly unwieldy Queen Mother of the West. This, in addition to how poetic and eloquent Ancient Chinese literature is, makes translating anything a right pain in the arse. like the RuYi JinGu Ban, which ends up as either "The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod" or "As-You-Will Gold-Banded Cudgel", both of which sound really Engrishy.

Tell me about it. :smallsigh:

Depending on the age of the translation, most Chinese rulers addressed in films as daren (大人), which can be translated as 'Your Excellency' or 'Your Highness'. However 'Your Highness' is dianxia (殿下).

There's also nuances in modern Chinese that really don't translate well to English; the difference between a maternal uncle that's older than your mother and a paternal uncle that married your father's younger sister for example.
There's even more fun and games when you have multiple relatives of a particular 'type' and you have to start numbering them. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2015-09-09, 11:39 AM
EDIT: Just saw that the 7 league boots had already been mentioned...

Aeolus' bag of the three captured winds.
Athena's Aegis shield (made from the head of Medusa)

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-10, 04:03 AM
However, in the earliest surviving record of the battle, Zeus defeats Typhon easily with one bolt.

With the incomplete sources we have, its hard to tell which are later versions and which are simply regional variations.

With a wider regional net, the earliest record of the battle is Illuyanka vs Tarhunt.

How many bolts are thrown is exactly the kind of area where a story teller could elaborate on, making it not that important a detail for unembellished versions of the narrative.

MrConsideration
2015-09-12, 02:46 AM
If Judeo-Christian stories count as mythology there's a few options:

Moses' staff that turns into serpents, etc.
The Holy Grail has numerous magical powers in Arthurian mythology and other medieval Romances.
The Ark of the Covenant melts the faces of Nazis.
The Seal of Solomon gives power over demons and angels.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-12, 12:55 PM
Have you considered creating your own? Your reluctance to use the resources presented indicates that homebrewing them may be your best option.

Yeah, I have started to create some of my own, like this one called the Phoenix Coin, it is supposed to make you impervious to heat and fire, so long as it is touching your skin. It is meant to be a balancing agent for the Icarus Wings flammable properties.

Most of these things have very boring names, they're just in languages you don't understand. Tarnhelm is a boring descriptive name, its just less obvious when its in German. Excalibur is so weird because its gone through three languages without being translated. Mjolnir is mainly left untranslated because it was an modified version of archaic term by the time anyone wrote it down.

Yeah, that. Tarnhelm is quite obvious to anyone speaking modern German: Tarn=Stealth, Helm=Helmet.

Excalibur I'm really not sure about. Wiki lists several things: Escalibor, Escaliborc, Calliborc, Calibourne, Caliburnus and finally Calib (steel). Or Welsh Caled (hard) and bwlch (cleft). Or Irish Caladbolg (voracious).

Mjölnir is "The Grinder".

Yes they are boring in the language they are from, but not when you don't speak that language. Example. Darth Vader, everbody thinks the name is all intimidating but in German it is just Dark Father.

It should be noted that legends are not consistent. Including a lot of Greek myths, one of the famous ones is that apparently both Hephaestus and Athena were involved with each others births.

As to Zeus's lightning, there is one version of the Typhon battle, in which Zeus threw hundreds of bolts at the monster at once, which means that there were multiple bolts. However, in the earliest surviving record of the battle, Zeus defeats Typhon easily with one bolt. Though this is in Hesoid's Theogony, where Zeus does everything easily, and because we know mentions of Typhon from hundreds of years earlier (though no actual account of the battle), and more difficult renditions of the battle pop up frequently less than a century after the Theogony it's hard to know for sure what the earliest legends of the battle were like.

As to their production, the Cyclops's make the bolts, but later legends have Hephaestus and the Cyclops working together. Pick which ever version you like.

With the incomplete sources we have, its hard to tell which are later versions and which are simply regional variations.

With a wider regional net, the earliest record of the battle is Illuyanka vs Tarhunt.

How many bolts are thrown is exactly the kind of area where a story teller could elaborate on, making it not that important a detail for unembellished versions of the narrative.

Soooo, I can fudge it?

If Judeo-Christian stories count as mythology there's a few options:

Moses' staff that turns into serpents, etc.
The Holy Grail has numerous magical powers in Arthurian mythology and other medieval Romances.
The Ark of the Covenant melts the faces of Nazis.
The Seal of Solomon gives power over demons and angels.

What am I gonna do with a staff that just attacks me when I activate it?
I... don't know what the holy grail does.
I thought the Ark did something else and the Nazis just pissed off God.

Eldan
2015-09-12, 01:14 PM
What? No? Since when? Darth is nothign even remotely like "Dunkler", even if it is a bit like "Dark". "Vader" is pronounced completely differently from "Vater".

Maelstrom
2015-09-12, 03:15 PM

Buuuut ...they're *the* magical fruit!

Brother Oni
2015-09-13, 07:10 AM
What? No? Since when? Darth is nothign even remotely like "Dunkler", even if it is a bit like "Dark". "Vader" is pronounced completely differently from "Vater".

Are you sure it's not just your Swiss German accent? :smalltongue:

*Runs away*

Eldan
2015-09-13, 09:43 AM
No. The Swiss German word would be more like Fatter, with an even stronger T than the standard German version.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-13, 02:52 PM
Well, It is what i've always been told.
Could just be a "beam me up scotty" thing.
Where people are close but ultimately wrong.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-13, 05:42 PM
There is a dialect of dutch (?) that where Darth Vader makes sense as something like Dark Father, but this is a coincidence. Vader being Luke's father was a retcon invented during the production of the second film (the whole "from a certain point of view" thing is a handwave to cover this up) and the name Darth Vader first appears in early drafts as a minor unrelated Imperial Officer whose name latter got recycled for a different more important villain while Starkiller Sr is a separate character whose only similarity is being the hero's dad and a cyborg. Lucas made a list of Space Opera sounding names before he wrote the script and moved them around a lot through the various drafts. Some of these names were left unused and ended up in the EU or the prequels.

The original plot for the second film was adapted into the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye and has Darth Vader being defeated without turning out to be anyone's dad. This plot was intended to be lower budget in case the first film failed. Due to the film's runaway success a more ambitious higher budget sequel was created from scratch.

halcyonforever
2015-09-13, 08:21 PM
How "real" are you wanting them to be?

Since most any artifact of legend is not any more real than more modern fiction. A good source of them would be things like Warehouse 13. Most of the artifacts were vague macguffins but could easily be re-named into something new.

Several I haven't seen or missed:

Medusa's Head
mirrored shield
golden fleece
shirt of nessus