PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #17: Jubilex, Lord of Shedaklah

Michael7123
2015-09-02, 10:43 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

Jubilex, Lord of Shedaklah

http://www.bogleech.com/halloween/fiend-juiblex3.JPG
I. HUNGER.

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Create or Destroy Water, Detect Poison or Dissease

2nd
Web, Blindness/Deafness

3rd
Water Breathing , Stinking Cloud

4th
Evard's Black Tentacles, Control Water

5th
Insect Plauge, Cloudkill

Pact features:

Slimy Body
A soon as you dedicate your soul to Jubilex for your powers, your very being is infused with abyssal ooze right from the 222nd layer of the abyss. While this slime is slowly secreting from your body at all times, it does make you slippery and thus immune to being grappled.

Ooze Augmentation
Starting at level 6, you can use the slime constantly pouring out of your body to create a tentacle of ooze that stretches from your arm. You can use this tentacle to grapple an enemy within 30 feet of you. The target of this effect has to make a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (acrobatics) check that beats your spell save DC in order to escape the effect. Even after the target is freed, his movement speed is halved for the next three rounds, as his body is covered in muck and slime.

Slime Touch
Starting at level 10, you gain the ability to make a spell attack at melee range against an enemy. If this attack is successful, you inflict the slimy doom effect detailed under the contagion spell on page 227 of the Player's handbook. You can use this ability once per long rest.

Maw of Hunger
Starting at level 14, you can envelope an enemy of one size larger than you or smaller. If you successfully grapple the enemy, you can choose to have your body transform into a large slimy glob. After you transform, you envelope the target, causing them to take 3d10 Acid damage and 2d10 bludgeoning damage every round they are engulfed by you. To break out, they must make an opposed grapple check against you at disadvantage unless they are larger than your size while transformed. If they are a size larger than you while untransformed, they make the grapple check as normal. You cannot use a grapple started by your Ooze Augmentation to activate this ability. You can use this ability once per long rest.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-09-02, 10:55 PM
I normally hate grappling. You have to place yourself right next to an enemy, in the thick of combat, and all you can do is prevent them from moving. This is my attempt to make grappling a bit cooler.

Belac93
2015-09-03, 11:33 AM
Seems neat. I like how it gives sort of a controller idea for the warlock.

JNAProductions
2015-09-03, 03:41 PM
Immune to grappled is really quite powerful. Perhaps advantage to escape grapple checks?