PDA

View Full Version : World Help Need help for a plot in a low-but-growing magic setting

Dusk Raven
2015-09-03, 12:53 AM
Okay, so for some time I've been pondering a setting. It started out as an alternate magic system - rather than the vancian magic classes presented in the PHB, I decided to take a different approach. Instead, inspired by the Materia from Final Fantasy VII (a unique system if I ever saw one), I created the Aethers - crystals that can merge with special focal points on living beings to grant them magical abilities. These Aethers would level up with the user - though the user's mental abilities would determine or influence how the host could use those abilities.

But, first I had to find a system that would accomidate my alternative magical tastes. The PHB contains no more than three classes that are truly non-supernatural - the fighter, the barbarian, and the rogue. Modifications to make some of the others non-magical, as well as additional mundane classes, can be found in other books. But after a time I felt that going all-mundane like this was missing the point of D&D, so I asked around. I soon was glad I did, for I located the system of my dreams - Iron Heroes.

Not only does it fix several of the problems I had with D&D 3e, it portrays a world where civilization is struggling to survive and take root, where countless monsters inhabit the wilds - and where magic is a rarely-used and dangerous thing. Just my kind of setting, for the most part.

However, by this point, I'd started developing a setting. Somehow, I got the idea to do a renaissance-era age of exploration kind of thing, hopefully minus the genocide. I'd start the characters in one country, have them explore the great unknown... and learn that things aren't quite how they initially believed.

Now, somehow, I was influenced by Dark Souls. Now, Dark Souls has more of a setting than a plot, so I feel relatively immune from spoilers, but just in case, the next bit goes in a spoiler tag:

In Dark Souls, the world has basically gone to hell. The once mighty civilization has fallen, the gods have either gone mad, gone away, or are now the kindling that keeps the First Fire going, which keeps the Age of Fire continuing and thus prolonging the god's reign. Either you take said kindling's place and continue the Age of Fire... or you let the fire die, ushering in the Age of Dark with you as lord. You know what, just watch this video it explains it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUm_S1fedw

So essentially, I would say the goal of this campaign is to leave the players rather... unsure of what should be done. Right at the start, the characters have grown up believing the tales of their homeculture - that magic and magical creatures are evil and destructive, and utterly anathema to human life. Let me see if I can remember how I phrased it... essentially, the gods created this world, but this culture's equivalent of satan corrupted it, rendering it repugnant to them. Only when the devil's taint is utterly removed from the world, when all the land is properly tamed and cultivated, the gods will arrive, bringing with them the souls of the dead, and paradise will be ushered in.

It's not long before holes start getting poked in this worldview. Other cultures are known to exist, but these are simply written off as savages in the devil's thrall. But actually meeting them proves they're just as cultured and human as the ones from their own culture. Further, a new land to the west is discovered, one that by all rights shouldn't exist, populated by peoples who live alongside monsters which should have utterly wiped them out. Add this with various misdoings by their home government and church, and a slowly rising understanding of how the world works, and it starts to make the characters question if what they're doing is right - or even if any course of action is right.

Add to this a facet of a game called Grim Dawn - where we have at least 2 opposing magical forces. In my case, I've pondered a conflict arcane and divine magic, if you will, so named because I haven't quite come up with names for them yet. On the arcane side, magic seeks to suffuse all life - or at least certain life - with magical power, but this power is chaotic and unpredictable. On the divine side, the gods - or something masquerading as gods - seeks to impose its law and order on the world. But they carry with them not just zeal, but fanaticism and intolerance.

In the end, both magical forces will come into play, seeking a greater foothold in the world. If arcane magic takes over, humans will gain great power, but there will be much strife as those who have or who can master their newfound powers dominate those who do not. If the gods arrive, there will still be suffering, as they purge the world of all they see as unholy. Maybe, in the end, a middle road is the best option... even if it earns no allies.

Alas, the whole thing with the Aethers kinda got lost somewhere along the way... well, I'd prefer a good setting to a good mechanic, but I'm still trying to find a way to include them. So, any input? Any more info needed?

Mechalich
2015-09-03, 02:16 AM
So essentially, I would say the goal of this campaign is to leave the players rather... unsure of what should be done.

Uncertain in motive works great if world-building for your own story. For a tabletop game...generally not so much. If you're going to do something like this be very certain your players will not only be able to catch on to the idea that they are supposed to question the beliefs their characters started out with and that they will actually do so in a useful fashion rather than simply embracing the bad myths and charging forward screaming blood for the blood god.

In my experience giving your average player an in-character excuse to act like a murder-hobo is like nitro-boosting a muscle car. By contrast, usually the GM role is to apply the breaks.

It's a cool idea. and exploring this sort of culture shock has informed many good fantasy stories, just be careful trying to put it in front of an actual gaming group.

VoxRationis
2015-09-03, 10:20 AM
In this day and age, most players you will find are anti-establishment enough that they'll go full arcane as a knee-jerk reaction; what you have set up won't provide them with a conflict.

jqavins
2015-09-03, 12:05 PM
Uncertain in motive works great if world-building for your own story. For a tabletop game...generally not so much.
I'm reminded of a campaign I played in, in which all the PCs come from a theocratic society dominated by an evil god, or maybe it was evil high priests corrupting the true word of the god. Most of the characters were dissenters, but I played a dutiful son of the church, a member of the city guard, who sincerely believed that the weak are put on Earth to be exploited, that the priests are always right, and that being born into a wealthy family meant that I was favored by our god. I became accidentally caught up with the dissenters and fled with them for my life, only to have my eyes opened to the outside world and gradually realize that my society was evil - and that I was evil - and started to change. It gave me a chance to use the skills and mindset of a guard member in an evil city but do so for good. (Like the time two of our party were poisoned by a merchant and he denied having an antidote; I forced the poison down his throat, so that revealing the antidote was now in his best interest. He really didn't have one; oh well.) The point is not that I'm so great; it's that this was a great game involving (for me, anyway) just such a changing perspective and beliefs.

In my experience giving your average player an in-character excuse to act like a murder-hobo is like nitro-boosting a muscle car. By contrast, usually the GM role is to apply the breaks.

In this day and age, most players you will find are anti-establishment enough that they'll go full arcane as a knee-jerk reaction; what you have set up won't provide them with a conflict.
You guys both need to hang out with a better class of players. There are plenty like my friends and myself who are completely willing and happy to role play a variety of world views and behave accordingly.

As to the Ęthers, how about having them function with neither arcane nor divine magic? They are very special, rare, but natural stones that focus and amplify equally natural abilities in their users. Then you've got a new sort of magical power that is not on either side in the arcane vs. divine struggle.

Dusk Raven
2015-09-03, 02:00 PM
Let's assume that player actions will not be a concern.

...Okay, maybe that needs more elaboration. So, with my online campaigns going... less than stellar, and not trusting my improvisational skills or my player base in real life, I've turned to... playing D&D by myself. How, you ask? Well, I play the role of players and GM both. It's great for honing my anti-metagaming skills, as well as my roleplaying abilities. Most of all, it's great writing practice - I write up everything, from combat to the in-between events. I enjoy both that, and the actual combat. As a bonus, sometimes the dice (or the enemies sometimes turning out to be geniuses) make things go a little differently than I intended them, so it's fun to go off the script for a bit.

...Anyway.

As to the Ęthers, how about having them function with neither arcane nor divine magic? They are very special, rare, but natural stones that focus and amplify equally natural abilities in their users. Then you've got a new sort of magical power that is not on either side in the arcane vs. divine struggle.

Interesting. At first I'd intended for the... Ęthers to be on the divine side, since they're much more consistent than arcane magic, but not really in keeping with an actual divine theme. They could, indeed, represent the mortal realm itself, standing against the foreign magic of other realms. Of course, I'd have to make them more of a plot focus than FF7's Materia ever were - I've toyed with them having a collective will or some other purpose...

Oh, one final note regarding player choices: In the interests of avoiding railroading, my purpose would be to present them with information but not really steer them, and whatever choice they end up making results in a "good" ending. Unless they've just been sheep the entire time and haven't questioned anything... in which case I bring the hammer down hard.

halcyonforever
2015-09-03, 03:39 PM
What jumped out at me was the Magic of Incarnum book. There you had numerous different things you could bind to a specific Chakra point to either give a bonus or an ability.

What I did for a low-magic campaign was just stripped all magic casting out, but left tons of scrolls, trinkets, items, etc and made use magic device a universal skill.

idea was sort of post-apocalyptic that something happened that ripped all magic and divine influence from the world and all that was left were the scattered relics that were slowly getting used up.

VoxRationis
2015-09-03, 05:56 PM
You guys both need to hang out with a better class of players. There are plenty like my friends and myself who are completely willing and happy to role play a variety of world views and behave accordingly.

Eh, my group doesn't act like that; but I notice people in general (on this forum and in other places) tend to be anti-establishment.