PDA

View Full Version : Building classes

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-05-10, 05:27 PM
I was thinking about starting a game featuring the players in adventurer's academy. Instead of being :Rougue, I was wondering if the combined heads here could instead create a system for mix-and-matching abilities. So, a rogue could have sneak attack, monk unarmed strike, rage, and a d4 hitdie to balance it. What are your opinions?

Innis Cabal
2007-05-10, 05:29 PM
i had one started.....it gets ugly but if you want help im onboard. Im sure my thread is way way back but might as well make a system with more heads put togather

Behold_the_Void
2007-05-10, 05:41 PM
I'm going to say right here that that looks like a bad idea. A rogue with unarmed strike, rage and sneak attack is going to want to get up-close and personal to start hitting pressure points and vitals while acting in a mad frenzy. With a d4 hit die, however, he'll just die. Really easily. Even with the rage constitution boost.

Any character meant to spend a significant amount of time on the front lines should have a d8 or d10 hit die. Melee rogues can do terrific damage, but even with the d6 hit die they're still quite frail. D4 would ensure that they don't live through most encounters. Those other factors make them more effective at hitting things but only marginally more effective at not dying, and that with the d4 hit die is suicidal.

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-10, 07:03 PM
Here's a to a similar project that was attempted by some at wizards. It ranks all abilities, gives them a point value, and at each level you get a certain number of points.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=205053

It is extremely complicated, as something on that scale needs to be.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-10, 07:34 PM
You could try the ninja from complete warrior. He has Skirmish (Sneak Attack variant), and some Monk based abilities, like AC bonuses.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-05-10, 08:30 PM
I was giving an example, not something serious. I was showing how the mix-and-matching could work. don't get hung up on the example.

Behold_the_Void
2007-05-11, 02:02 AM
I was giving an example, not something serious. I was showing how the mix-and-matching could work. don't get hung up on the example.

I was operating under the assumption that that was what you were looking to make.

So, if you'd like help, what exactly are you trying to have made, class-wise? We can't help you if we don't know what you want.

TheOOB
2007-05-11, 02:10 AM
Generic Classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) Might be similar to what you are looking for, possibly not quite the level of customization you are looking for, but it's a start.

I've also heard True d20 from Green Ronin does something similar to that. From what I understand it acually has many improvements over the D&D system.