PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Polymorphing and Unusual Stat Arrays

Heliomance
2015-09-03, 05:05 AM
Most monsters have a standard array of 11 11 11 10 10 10 before racial modifiers. Some don't. The Aasimar, for example, seems to have a base of 13 12 11 10 9 8 before modifiers. So if you polymorph (by any method that changes your stats concretely) into an Aasimar, do you get the stats as based off the standard monster array? Do you get the benefit of the fact that it used a non-standard array? And how do you tell what array a monster is using? The standard method for determining the racial stat adjustments for a monstrous race is to subtract 11 from the odd stats and 10 from the even stats - but that doesn't get you the right answer for the Aasimar, so you can't assume that it will always work.

Chronos
2015-09-03, 06:32 AM
If the monster has a section titled "_____ as characters", use that. If the monster explicitly says that it was built using the standard or elite array, use that. Otherwise, assume that the base stats were 11s and 10s.

Heliomance
2015-09-03, 07:56 AM
On that note, if you Polymorph into a Human, what happens to your stats? Humans don't have a monster entry, so there is no base statline for them.

Heliomance
2015-09-04, 04:59 PM
Does no-one know the answer to this?

eggynack
2015-09-04, 07:45 PM
I think you just get the stats that're there, whatever they are. After all, who cares that they have a non-standard array? You're becoming a monster that happens to have a non-standard array, along with the modifiers intrinsic to the creature. Doesn't seem like there's anything else to it. As for humans, you probably just get a stack of 10's and 11's, in keeping with their lack of stat modifiers.

Heliomance
2015-09-05, 07:21 AM
I think you just get the stats that're there, whatever they are. After all, who cares that they have a non-standard array? You're becoming a monster that happens to have a non-standard array, along with the modifiers intrinsic to the creature. Doesn't seem like there's anything else to it. As for humans, you probably just get a stack of 10's and 11's, in keeping with their lack of stat modifiers.

Yeah, but which are 10s and which are 11s?

XionUnborn01
2015-09-05, 11:27 AM

That's easy. Monsters never give odd stat increases, so if it's an odd number for the creature's stat, it started as an 11, if it's even it started as 10.

Of course, any magic items or abilities listed may change the stats in the block, so look for those first.

eggynack
2015-09-05, 11:37 AM
I have no idea. Not like it tends to be all that pertinent, given that just about any stat increaser that'd stick around through a polymorph would provide even bonuses.

Heliomance
2015-09-05, 12:10 PM
That's easy. Monsters never give odd stat increases, so if it's an odd number for the creature's stat, it started as an 11, if it's even it started as 10.

Of course, any magic items or abilities listed may change the stats in the block, so look for those first.

Humans don't have a statblock.

I have no idea. Not like it tends to be all that pertinent, given that just about any stat increaser that'd stick around through a polymorph would provide even bonuses.

Matters for carrying capacity, and a few other things like qualifying for feats.

Necroticplague
2015-09-05, 03:20 PM
Matters for carrying capacity, and a few other things like qualifying for feats.

And when you take ability damage. An odd score gives you a little bit of wiggle room before your mod goes down.

Chronos
2015-09-05, 06:22 PM
The best answer I can come up with is that humans can have any three be 11 and the rest 10. If you want, say, Int, Con, and Dex to be high, then you choose to polymorph into a human who had those as his "good" stats.

rockdeworld
2015-09-06, 07:10 AM
The best answer I can come up with is don't Polymorph into a human, because it's suboptimal. In addition to a rules mess.

A close second was "ask your DM."

Rubik
2015-09-06, 07:31 AM
The best answer I can come up with is don't Polymorph into a human, because it's suboptimal.Yeah, for most characters it just lowers their stats. Use Alter Self, instead, so you can get that sweet, sweet bonus feat.

Of course, with Metamorphosis, all bets are off, since A.) there is no psionic Alter Self, and B.) the psychoactive skin of proteus is a thing.

Heliomance
2015-09-06, 07:40 AM
The best answer I can come up with is don't Polymorph into a human, because it's suboptimal. In addition to a rules mess.

A close second was "ask your DM."

That doesn't help when I'm trying to write a polymorph stat tracker. :smalltongue: