PDA

View Full Version : Giving the Warlock Heritage Feats

Eldmor
2007-05-10, 06:15 PM
I remember someone saying that heritage feats would make a great boost for the warlock, crunch-wise and fluff-wise.
My question is, at what levels would it be balanced to have a warlock gain a bonus Heritage feat? (Obviously they will have to choose which one they want at the first feat and choose the rest of their heritage bonus feats with the original as a prerequisite.)

Laesin
2007-05-10, 09:43 PM
Bonus Heritage Feats? No. He can pick the feats up with his standard feat slots like everyone else.

Dhavaer
2007-05-10, 10:13 PM
Bonus Heritage Feats? No. He can pick the feats up with his standard feat slots like everyone else.

Then what would you suggest instead?

Nahal
2007-05-10, 10:49 PM
I like the idea of bonus heritage feats, since most of them really aren't all that powerful and work well with the class flavor. The issue is then whether the warlock needs to choose his heritage at character creation (thus putting the first feat at Warlock 1) and locks him into it from there on, and whether the GM is willing to lift alignment restrictions if, say, the player REALLY wants his powers to come from devils or celestials.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-10, 11:05 PM
Source Warlock: Variant
Replace Knowledge (Arcana) and Knowledge (The Planes) with a single Knowledge depending on Heritage:
Fey Heritage (Sylvan)
Abberant Heritage (Dungeoneering)
Draconic Heritage (Arcana)
Celestial Heritage (The Planes)
Fiendish Heritage (The Planes)
Anarchic Heritage (The Planes)
Axiomatic Heritage (The Planes)
Air Heritage (The Planes)
Water Heritage (The Planes)
Earth Heritage (The Planes)
Fire Heritage (The Planes)
Substitutions
1st Level: Gain one Heritage as a bonus feat.
2nd Level: Reduce the number of Invocations you know by 1.
4th Level: Lose Decieve Item.
5th Level: Gain any feat listing your Heritage as a Pre-Requisite as a bonus feat.
7th Level: Reduce your DR/Cold Iron by 1.
10th Level: Gain any feat listing your Heritage as a Pre-Requisite as a bonus feat.
12th Level: Lose Imbue Item.
15th Level: Reduce the number of Invocations you know by 1 (A total of 2 below the standard Warlock). Gain any feat listing your Heritage as a Pre-Requisite as a bonus feat.
20th Level: Do not gain Energy Resistance 10. Gain any feat listing your Heritage as a Pre-Requisite as a bonus feat.

Plus, a bonus feat and invocation:
Eldritch Geneology [Heritage]
You've fully embraced your unusual heritage as the source of your mystic powers.
Pre-Requisites: Any Heritage feat.
Benefit: You gain a bonus on Attack and Damage with your Eldritch blast equal to the number of feats you possess which list your core Heritage feat as a Pre-Requisite.

Echoes of the Source; Greater; 7th
You may use Summon Monster VI, as per the spell, to summon a creature matching your Heritage. (DM's Discretion)

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-11, 12:11 AM

Why not? It's not like the Warlock is exactly "Overpowered" or "Broken.:smalltongue:

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-11, 08:35 AM
Plus, Heritage feats aren't exactly very powerful...

Eldmor
2007-05-11, 09:54 AM
First level and every five levels thereafter seems like a good balance since there are usually six feats per heritage; giving you most of the benefits of full heritage.
I'm not so sure about reducing invocations known, though. Heritage does give you some SLAs, but the warlock is already lacking in selection. I'm not aware of a Knowledge (Sylvan) but (Nature) would seem appropriate. Echoes of the Source looks great. :smallsmile:

Shatenjager
2007-05-11, 02:10 PM
I ran a warlock with heritage feats. I got my first one at level 1 in my feat slot. I don't really think they need extra toys (they get plenty as it is). They aren't the most powerful charachters in the world, but the feats that give extra spell-likes give a bit of flexability to the charachter that I enjoyed.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-11, 02:20 PM
My warlock is the party face, so the Fiendish Presence feat is working out beautifully.