PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Aid Another Skills (3.5)

Sir Toast
2015-09-03, 11:54 AM
Alright so in the Player's Handbook it says that players can aid another players in skill checks (if they roll and get over ten on the skill check) to grant a +2 bonus to the other player's skill check for favorable conditions.
I understand how aiding another works for skills such as appraise, heal, disguise, search, and use rope. Logically it makes sense that if someones helping you with these you'll be more successful.
However I don't understand how you can aid someone at some skills such as concentration, move silently, open lock, sense motive, sleight of hand, and tumble?
Hopefully someone can clear this up for me. :elan:
Thanks
Sir Toast

Story
2015-09-03, 03:22 PM
Open lock should be self explanatory. For Move Silently, you could fluff it as pointing out branches and leaves not to step on.

Cruiser1
2015-09-03, 03:37 PM
However I don't understand how you can aid someone at some skills such as concentration, move silently, open lock, sense motive, sleight of hand, and tumble?
Here are a few ideas:

Concentration: You hold up your cape blocking out distracting motion, so your partner can better cast their spell.
Move Silently: As others have suggested, you point out the stick and dried leaves they shouldn't step on.
Open Lock: You bang on the hinge in the right place while your partner twists the wire from their thieves tools.
Sense Motive: You whisper to your partner that you notice this guy has shifty eyes, so maybe he shouldn't be trusted.
Sleight of Hand: You bump into the mark and say "excuse me", so your partner can more easily steal their coin purse.
Tumble: You give your partner a boost with your hands so they can do their backflip more easily.

Sliver
2015-09-04, 01:23 AM
If neither the DM nor the players can come up with something that makes sense, then the DM doesn't have to allow it.

In many cases, a character’s help won’t be beneficial, or only a limited number of characters can help at once.

Chronos
2015-09-04, 07:45 AM
I'm not a locksmith myself, but I imagine it's not uncommon for an extra pair of hands to come in handy. "Here, hold this right there for a moment".

Segev
2015-09-04, 08:29 AM
I'm not a locksmith myself, but I imagine it's not uncommon for an extra pair of hands to come in handy. "Here, hold this right there for a moment".

I'm now picturing present-wrapping. "Put your finger here..."

ben-zayb
2015-09-04, 09:38 AM
Obligatory link. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0262.html) Probably an actual example, since Aid Another bonus is untyped, but there's that idea