PDA

View Full Version : Double metamagics and spontaneous casting

Talya
2007-05-10, 07:04 PM
does a sorceror spell increase in casting time beyond one full round if you use two metamagics on it? Say I wanted an energy substituted, purified fireball, for example.

Dhavaer
2007-05-10, 07:04 PM
No. ppoiuuytr

Talya
2007-05-10, 07:08 PM
No. ppoiuuytr

Sorcerers and Bards
Sorcerers and bards choose spells as they cast them. They can choose when they cast their spells whether to apply their metamagic feats to improve them. As with other spellcasters, the improved spell uses up a higher-level spell slot. But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot. Therefore, such a character must also take more time to cast a metamagic spell (one enhanced by a metamagic feat) than he does to cast a regular spell. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)

For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell.

Wouldn't that apply if you add a second metamagic to an already metamagicked spell?

Dark_Wind
2007-05-10, 07:10 PM
Nope. The metamagic penalty only applies once, thank God. Sorcs have is bad enough as it is.

Talya
2007-05-10, 07:15 PM
Nope. The metamagic penalty only applies once, thank God. Sorcs have is bad enough as it is.

Can you please find that in RAW? Because as the SRD puts it, it should apply multiple times. And I can't convince my DM.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 07:23 PM
If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)

For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell.

Thar we go matey.

Talya
2007-05-10, 07:26 PM
I know he won't accept that...but yes, I see your point.

He has an overly rosy view of the value of spontaneous casting.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 07:29 PM
You don't apply the second metamagic feat onto a spell with the first metamagic feat; you apply them all at the same time to the base spell. The time increase is only applied once.

Perhaps an answer from the FAQ will be more helpful to you:

If a spontaneous spellcaster applies two metamagic feats to a spell does the casting time increase to 2 rounds?

Applying additional metamagic feats to a spell does not further increase the casting time of the spell. A sorcerer casting a still, silent fireball requires only a single full-round action to cast the spell.

Dhavaer
2007-05-10, 07:36 PM
He has an overly rosy view of the value of spontaneous casting.

Run a search for 'Wizard' by poster 'Bearswithlasers' or 'Logic Ninja', print the results and smack him with them.

AngelAndrius
2007-05-10, 07:37 PM
No the penalty does not apply more than once. hte increased strain on the caster comes in the form of applying the higher spell level from each meta feat. Take the still silent fireball. There's a hella difference between a 3rd lvl spell and a 5th level spell.