PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/Mage using Core and Faerun

Pagz
2007-05-10, 07:12 PM
Ok, I want to make a character for a new game we're starting in a few weeks, and I've decided that I want him to follow in the footsteps of my Baldurs Gate 2 Bard. Now we all know bards have changed since then (for better or worst) so the best way to get him like he was is to go Fighter/Wizard, or gish, or whatever. Now being core and faerun, my prestige classes are kinda limited, (I haven't looked at the faerun classes, mainly because the DM has them at his house) so going by what is on the SRD, I thought this would be a basic build for my melee wizard

Race: Teifling (will use LA buy-off to lower its LA)

his stats are (after racial adjustments):
Str:13
Dex:12
Con:13
Int:20
Wis:10
Cha:8

lv1:Wizard
lv2:Wizard
lv3:Wizard
lv4:Wizard
lv5:Wizard
lv6:Eldritch Knight
lv7:Eldritch Knight
lv8:Eldritch Knight
lv9:Eldritch Knight
lv10:Eldritch Knight
lv11:Eldritch Knight
lv12:Eldritch Knight
lv13:Eldritch Knight
lv14:Eldritch Knight
lv15:Eldritch Knight
lv16:Archmage
lv17:Archmage
lv18:Archmage
lv19:Archmage
lv20:Archmage

Now, he's not going to be the "party mage" as someone else is a sorcerer, so between me and her, we'll be the magic side of the party. Using this build he only looses 1 caster level and gains 3/4 base attack bonus. If anyone has a better build using the Core books and the "A players guide to Faerun" book, please post it here. Magical item suggestions and general hints and tips on how to play him (and feats, I'm lost as to what I should take for this build, and surviving lower levels, his stats (other then Int) are very average, he'll probably just be archering until 3th level). Note that I dont want to overshadow the Sorceror as the main spellcaster, as I'd want my role to be combat using spells to buff myself and allies and using touch spells (someone said about the PrC Incantrix in the faerun book and how its uber powerful, if thats the case then the Sorc will take it, and i'd rather keep the party diverse in classes and abilities). The rest of the party is: barbarian, paladin, druid, sorcerer and one other, who is undecided as of yet.

Thanks!

Ruik
2007-05-10, 08:51 PM
Just curious, as I can't tell from you post, but do you have access to the PHB II?

Cybren
2007-05-10, 09:02 PM
You might want to take a level of fighter or some other full BAB class so you can get four attacks per round. Getting your hands on more books would help too.

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-10, 09:04 PM
You might want to take a level of fighter or something, so that you qualify for the class. Must be proficient with all martial weapons...

Khantalas
2007-05-10, 09:29 PM
Outsiders are already proficient with all martial weapons. Tieflings are outsiders.

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-10, 09:44 PM
Um. So they are :smalleek: . Devious, that...

EvilElitest
2007-05-11, 01:09 PM
Um. So they are :smalleek: . Devious, that...

Why is that by the way?
from,
EE

Fax Celestis
2007-05-11, 01:16 PM
Why is that by the way?
from,
EE

Creatures gain the benefits of their parent types (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/typesSubtypes.htm). For instance, if you read the Outsider type description:

Outsider Type
An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.

Features
An outsider has the following features.

8-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
Traits
An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry. Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

Emphasis mine. In this case, anything with the Outsider type is proficient with martial weapons.

Humanoids are an exception to this rule, since the line reads, "Proficient with all simple weapons, or by character class." This means that having the Humanoid type without class levels (just RHD) makes you proficient with simple weapons. Adding class levels overwrites that, and makes you proficient as per the class.

Since other types do not include that "by class" addendum, they have those proficiencies regardless of class.

Pagz
2007-05-11, 07:51 PM
Just curious, as I can't tell from you post, but do you have access to the PHB II?

No.

You might want to take a level of fighter or some other full BAB class so you can get four attacks per round. Getting your hands on more books would help too.

One caster level for an extra attack at +1 to hit at 20th level? That kinda answers itself.

You might want to take a level of fighter or something, so that you qualify for the class. Must be proficient with all martial weapons...

Yea...I kinda got that under control... I'd rather a +1 LA that I can get rid of later then a level of fighter that I cant get rid of for caster levels later.

Well I can see this is a very productive thread. I know I dont have many books at my disposal, which is why I'm asking how's the best way to go about this with the material I have been given? His stats are my biggest worry though, same with feats, what ones to get to help his frailness?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-11, 08:04 PM
You say "Core and Faerun". Are you allowed access to released stuff on the WotC website (such as the Knight Phantom (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050706a&page=4) or Mythic Exemplar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070504a&page=3))?

Pagz
2007-05-11, 11:44 PM
We're allowed anything on the SRD website (except for variant rules and psionics) and "The players guide to Faerun" book. Thats the options I have.

serow
2007-05-12, 09:50 AM
lv1:Wizard
lv2:Wizard
lv3:Wizard
lv4:Wizard
lv5:Wizard
lv6:Eldritch Knight
lv7:Eldritch Knight
lv8:Eldritch Knight
lv9:Eldritch Knight
lv10:Eldritch Knight
lv11:Eldritch Knight
lv12:Eldritch Knight
lv13:Eldritch Knight
lv14:Eldritch Knight
lv15:Eldritch Knight
lv16:Archmage
lv17:Archmage
lv18:Archmage
lv19:Archmage
lv20:Archmage
I would have suggested Incantatrix, but since you already decided no to it, then too bad.
Just one minor suggestion: at the moment you will only reach BAB +14 (Wiz 5 and Archmage 5 only give BAB +4).
Wiz 6/E.Knight 8/Archmage 4/E.Knight 2 is a nicer progression.

Feats, 3 are eaten up by Archmage, so you don't have much left to play with. Improved Initiative, possibly Improved Toughness (Complete Warrior), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot.

I'm not familiar with PGtF, so can't recommend much from there, sorry!

Your HP is horribly low for a gish (even more so if Improved Toughness isn't allowed), and your BAB ain't quite as up to par as other gish builds to fuel Power Attack, so melee isn't quite as recommended. However, you'll be much better relying on rays (arrows if necessary) and cripplers.

You're really playing a "wizard with medium BAB" more than "warrior with magical capability", so just remember your strengths and your limitations.

Tengu
2007-05-12, 10:07 AM
Knight Phantom (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050706a&page=4)

Woah. This class blows the Eldritch Knight, both in crunch and fluff, out of the water.