PDA

View Full Version : Some centaur questions, for you experts out there.

blue chicken
2007-05-10, 07:39 PM
Just out of curiosity...I've been looking over centaurs lately, and have lots of ridiculous ideas floating around. I have no plans to play a centaur now or anytime soon, but I'm interested in the answers, here, and hoping you good people can help me out.

...can a centaur wield a normal-sized lance in one hand? They get double damage charging, just like a mounted character, and the stipulation for using a lance one-handed is that you must be mounted. Does the "mounted" qualifier count for both, there?

...are there any feats, items, or enchantments (other than Psionic Lion's Charge) that allow more attacks after a charge? I'm poorly endowed with books, and thought maybe someone might know of something I haven't heard about.

...do centaurs qualify as "ill-suited" for service as mounts?

..can they equip horseshoes like other mounts?

Once I know these answers, my munchkin plan can unfold. Thanks!

Dhavaer
2007-05-10, 07:45 PM
...are there any feats, items, or enchantments (other than Psionic Lion's Charge) that allow more attacks after a charge? I'm poorly endowed with books, and thought maybe someone might know of something I haven't heard about.

There's an item (a pair of spiked gauntlets, I think) that gives the pounce ability in Complete Adventurer.

TheOOB
2007-05-10, 07:50 PM
On a RAW basis, a centaur is not mounted, so they can't wield a lance 1 handed. It's not an unreasonable house rule for a DM to implement, but thats between you and your DM.

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 07:55 PM
...can a centaur wield a normal-sized lance in one hand? They get double damage charging, just like a mounted character, and the stipulation for using a lance one-handed is that you must be mounted. Does the "mounted" qualifier count for both, there?A centaur is Large, so they can wield a lance sized for a Medium creature in one hand (although at a -2 penalty). In order to be considered mounted, though, they would need to be...mounted. I'm not sure what kind of creature would serve as a suitable mount for a Large quadruped, though I bet there's something....

...are there any feats, items, or enchantments (other than Psionic Lion's Charge) that allow more attacks after a charge? I'm poorly endowed with books, and thought maybe someone might know of something I haven't heard about.There's the dire charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#direCharge) epic feat. I also understand there's a "lion's charge" spell, though I don't know what book it's in.

...do centaurs qualify as "ill-suited" for service as mounts?They seem capable of being both willing and able to me, so they should be valid mounts. You might have to talk with your DM about whether they'd need special training to do so properly.

..can they equip horseshoes like other mounts?I'm not seeing any rules for horseshoes, so maybe I'm missing something...but if there's no rules for them, there's no reason they shouldn't be allowed to equip them.

Dhavaer
2007-05-10, 07:56 PM
I also understand there's a "lion's charge" spell, though I don't know what book it's in.

Spell Compendium.

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-10, 08:00 PM
I'm not seeing any rules for horseshoes, so maybe I'm missing something...but if there's no rules for them, there's no reason they shouldn't be allowed to equip them.
There are several magical horseshoes that would be especially valuable for a Player. They can be found in the DMG in the magical item section, and because they don't usually directly benefit the character, I think they are pretty good buys for their price(at least that's the impression I got when I last saw them.)

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 08:04 PM
There are several magical horseshoes that would be especially valuable for a Player. They can be found in the DMG in the magical item section, and because they don't usually directly benefit the character, I think they are pretty good buys for their price(at least that's the impression I got when I last saw them.)Ahh. Let me take a look at those then....

Well, both descriptions say they have to be worn by an animal, while a centaur is a monstrous humanoid, so as written they won't provide their benefit.

blue chicken
2007-05-10, 08:58 PM
Hm....anyone know anything more about those gauntlets? Pounce would be SO convenient....

As for the horseshoes...gar! You're right! Animal, scmanimal...I guess that'd be a DM decision, too, though according to the types, you are indeed correct. But then again...by "animal," a dog could wear them, if you're going by the rules. And I suppose "hoofed creature" just didn't sound kosher to the writers. How about it? Just for the sake of the rules...could a dog wear them? Or a badger? It's so vague...I don't know which way the rules actually mean for it to be interpreted.

Thanks for the help so far, guys. Anyone know the standard seventh-level wealth for a character? Like....18,000 GP or something ridiculous like that?

Also...since the one-handed lance idea's been sacked, howzabout Spirited Charge? I'm guessing it's off-limits, since you'd need Mounted Combat...(I guess you COULD take it, and just never have a mount of your own...whatever. If you're a fighter I suppose you've got the feats to spare.) Would Spirited Charge work? Again, you're not mounted, but it's definately in the same vein as double damage when mounted with a lance. DM discretion once again?

de-trick
2007-05-10, 09:42 PM
i have a question about the size of wep that a centaur use i now there large but the reason there large is because the horse end and not the human side in fact isnt the human part the same size of a human and so would it use the same weps as a human

Jasdoif
2007-05-10, 09:47 PM
As for the horseshoes...gar! You're right! Animal, scmanimal...I guess that'd be a DM decision, too, though according to the types, you are indeed correct. But then again...by "animal," a dog could wear them, if you're going by the rules. And I suppose "hoofed creature" just didn't sound kosher to the writers. How about it? Just for the sake of the rules...could a dog wear them? Or a badger? It's so vague...I don't know which way the rules actually mean for it to be interpreted.In general, magic items are assumed to just fit their wearer, to simplify matters of finding and using them. This here is kind of different, but I don't see why only horse animals get those kinds of things.

They might not be "horseshoes" in the conventional sense, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have "doggy boots" or something less whimsical-ish for dogs to wear for the same effect and cost. After all, riding dogs are standard mounts for Small characters.

Same goes for..."badger pads", I guess.

Also...since the one-handed lance idea's been sacked, howzabout Spirited Charge? I'm guessing it's off-limits, since you'd need Mounted Combat...(I guess you COULD take it, and just never have a mount of your own...whatever. If you're a fighter I suppose you've got the feats to spare.) Would Spirited Charge work? Again, you're not mounted, but it's definately in the same vein as double damage when mounted with a lance. DM discretion once again?Spirited Charge requires you to be mounted, so again it's DM discretion.

Don't forget, though, that you can wield a Large lance two-handed, and you even get the increased bonus from Strength when you do. And can Power Attack that way. It might just work out better for you, damage-wise.

i have a question about the size of wep that a centaur use i now there large but the reason there large is because the horse end and not the human side in fact isnt the human part the same size of a human and so would it use the same weps as a humanThey're Large creatures, so they use Large weapons. It's really as simple as that. There are certain racial abilities that let you use weapons for another size without penalty (a half-giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants)'s Powerful Build comes to mind), but a centaur doesn't have one of those.

A Large creature can use Medium weapons, but they're treated as one weapon size category smaller (a Medium longsword is a light weapon for a centaur, for example) and the creature takes a penalty on attacks for using mis-sized weapons.

Kurobara
2007-05-10, 10:10 PM
Also...since the one-handed lance idea's been sacked, howzabout Spirited Charge? I'm guessing it's off-limits, since you'd need Mounted Combat...(I guess you COULD take it, and just never have a mount of your own...whatever. If you're a fighter I suppose you've got the feats to spare.) Would Spirited Charge work? Again, you're not mounted, but it's definately in the same vein as double damage when mounted with a lance. DM discretion once again?

You could probably make a case for it based off of the fact that Zelekhuts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm#zelekhut) are basically extraplanar robot centaurs, and they naturally have Spirited Charge.

Hurlbut
2007-05-10, 11:03 PM
Actually not being able to use it one handed does not mean it cannot be still used two-handed. Charge, then switch to shield and your one hander melee weapon of your choice. You have the speed for that :P

Jayabalard
2007-05-11, 08:09 AM
Personally, I'd probably wind up house-ruling the heck out of it, so you should be talking to your GM about this. Just off the top of my head I'd probably rule that:

a centaur generally counts as mounted, since centaurs also have centaur-like construction: "Due to its centaur-like construction, a zelekhut qualifies for feats as if it had the Mounted Combat feat."
a centaur uses medium weapons, and some racial "large" weapons that are specifically made for centaurs (their human portion isn't any larger than a regular human, so they wouldn't use most large weapons due to the size of the grips)
I'd might also allow some sorts of horseshoes, but they probably wouldn't be as cheap as the ones that were made for animals.

I did see a reference somewhere that there is a centaur trample feat in races of the wild

de-trick
2007-05-11, 08:20 PM
yah i dont agree with the hourse shoe thing aboiut going on a non hoof creature

1 a magic item will only grow or shrink to fit eg like a shirt that was a medium will grow to a large or shrink to a small it will not change form from a horse shoe(metal) to a doggy boots(cloth)

Jasdoif
2007-05-11, 08:30 PM
1 a magic item will only grow or shrink to fit eg like a shirt that was a medium will grow to a large or shrink to a small it will not change form from a horse shoe(metal) to a doggy boots(cloth)Yes. But I don't see a reason why you couldn't make doggy boots with the same magic properties as the horseshoes. Which is what I was trying to say earlier.

de-trick
2007-05-13, 01:45 AM
ohh i see no problem with that as long as it makes sence

blue chicken
2007-05-13, 10:29 PM
Hey, thanks, guys! That's mostly what I was thinking...it's a touchy issue.

Mmmm...just picture it. A Centaur, with Pounce and Spirited Charge, and horseshoes of speed...and two-weapon fighting, and ride-by attack. Wield a large lance in one hand, a medium in the off hand...

...and mount up somebody with a similar set up wielding a medium lance and a small one in the other hand.

Heck, trick them both out with Rhino hide.

...and then after one battle your DM would stick the party into the Dungeon of the Mazes of Twisty Passages.

Sigh.

Ha. Thanks, though...now the gears are certainly spinning.

Hurlbut
2007-05-14, 01:14 PM
Hey, thanks, guys! That's mostly what I was thinking...it's a touchy issue.

Mmmm...just picture it. A Centaur, with Pounce and Spirited Charge, and horseshoes of speed...and two-weapon fighting, and ride-by attack. Wield a large lance in one hand, a medium in the off hand...

...and mount up somebody with a similar set up wielding a medium lance and a small one in the other hand.

Heck, trick them both out with Rhino hide.

...and then after one battle your DM would stick the party into the Dungeon of the Mazes of Twisty Passages.

Sigh.

Ha. Thanks, though...now the gears are certainly spinning.
Still think wielding a lance two handed is a good idea, you don't get the 1.5 multiplier if you wielded it one hand.