PDA

View Full Version : Inhaled Poisons

Afgncaap5
2015-09-03, 04:14 PM
I'm tinkering with some inhaled poisons, and a character who might be able to make use of them, but I'm trying to figure out a good delivery mechanism. Is it pretty much either "use a blow gun" or "hold it in your palm to breathe on"?

I also found a weird thing in the Rokugan handbook, a smoking pipe that can be a club or, as an exotic weapon, used to blow dust... it's a bit out of the mainstream, though, and possibly not viable.

FocusWolf413
2015-09-03, 04:28 PM
One good delivery system is a packet that you throw that bursts open on impact. Think of something like an envelope, but far flimsier.

Darrin
2015-09-03, 05:02 PM
Try the mister in Drow of the Underdark. Ranged touch attack on a target within 5' (provokes), contact and inhaled poisons take effect automatically on a hit but ingested poisons give the target a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid.

The sprayer (A&EG) might also be worth a look: 5' x 10' area effect, no hit roll and no save, but intended to work with liquids.

I've never been entirely clear on how inhaled poisons are supposed to be delivered. I don't think there's nothing in the core books that says anything about how you apply or disperse them.

mabriss lethe
2015-09-03, 09:00 PM
From the SRD:

Inhaled
Inhaled poisons are usually contained in fragile vials or eggshells. They can be thrown as a ranged attack with a range increment of 10 feet. When it strikes a hard surface (or is struck hard), the container releases its poison. One dose spreads to fill the volume of a 10-foot cube. Each creature within the area must make a saving throw. (Holding one’s breath is ineffective against inhaled poisons; they affect the nasal membranes, tear ducts, and other parts of the body.)

Curmudgeon
2015-09-03, 10:14 PM
One important thing to note is that a creature who doesn't breathe (as opposed to one who holds their breath) is unaffected by inhaled poisons.

DrMotives
2015-09-03, 10:22 PM
If you are immune to inhaled poisons, then you can't go wrong with a censer for sheer style. Swing it around, poison anyone who gets near you, and still leave one hand free for whatever spell casting or 1 handed weapon you want.