PDA

View Full Version : Webclients: OpenRPG

Fax Celestis
2007-05-10, 09:07 PM
So, in an effort to get my newly started MSN campaign working a bit more smoothly, I've been looking into gaming webclients: in particular, OpenRPG.

It looks terrific and probably is exactly what I need. However, I can't seem to get it to work properly. That is, I can't seem to get other people to connect to my server (or even get into my server after I've hosted it so I can DM a game).

On a related note, does anyone know if there are standardized "webminis" out there somewhere for use with such a program?

Talya
2007-05-10, 11:34 PM
So, in an effort to get my newly started MSN campaign working a bit more smoothly, I've been looking into gaming webclients: in particular, OpenRPG.

It looks terrific and probably is exactly what I need. However, I can't seem to get it to work properly. That is, I can't seem to get other people to connect to my server (or even get into my server after I've hosted it so I can DM a game).

On a related note, does anyone know if there are standardized "webminis" out there somewhere for use with such a program?

Hmmm. I have only played client-side, never as the DM, so i don't know. There are LOTS of sprites you can use for the miniatures though...our DM uses stuff from old console RPGs, mostly.

ocato
2007-05-11, 12:06 AM
I tried OpenRPG once, it worked okay, but the campaign lasted uh... half a session. Only two people actually showed and it deteriorated from there. I remember having trouble working it. The whole experience was pretty bad, but it was one experience so I am not prejudiced against it. Maybe I'll try it again someday.

Sereneprophet
2007-05-11, 12:15 AM
Its actually a great program. Ive never actually ran a room or server, so I cant help on that part, but you can make minis out of about anything, and there are sites out there that provide some, if you look hard enough. Also, you can scale down pictures to fit, though you wont get the nicest view.

And as Talya said, you can always use game sprites.

Another option is to ask around some of the various groups. Usually if your polite enough, and they aren't in a bad mood, they will be more than happy to help out.

Good luck ^^

Ponce
2007-05-11, 12:53 AM
IRC is my preferred medium, certainly better than MSN. Multiple channels for OOC or observer discussion, private messaging, and channel muting all make it very simple. Throw in a dicebot and you are ready to go. The text formatting of most IRC clients are also much nicer than other instant messagers.

TheOOB
2007-05-11, 01:16 AM
I have never managed to get OpenRPG to work well, or any web client for that matter. For online RPGs i prefer www.rpol.net, it's forum based with a lot more features then the GitP forums have for that sort of thing.

Diggorian
2007-05-11, 01:28 AM
OpenRPG is pretty good once ya get the hang of it. I ran and played on it for nearly a year.

Setting up servers I never tried. It was usually enough just to open a room on anyone's server and password it or leave it open for lurkers to drop in. Couldnt hurt to ask a server owner, but I never had to.

IIRC, on Open's site they have downloadable minis that you can plug in for play. I never used them. If I needed Orcs: Google the for any pic of an orc, save it my hardrive, edit the size with Paint, upload onto my Geocities or Photobucket, then plug the link into Open's map tool. Need 5 orcs? Hit the link, move the "mini" over, hit the link until I have enough. Place them on my crappy Paint map.

GM's are rare and always sought. Recruit a Veteran and they'll gladly help.