PDA

View Full Version : Strength to Hit Points?

Yogibear41
2015-09-03, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know of any third party materials that allows for Strength to be added to hit points instead of Con? Or just getting some sort of benefit to hit points from Strength in general?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-04, 12:02 AM
According to the X Stat To Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) thread, no. The Strength section does not list hit points, and the hit points section in the second post only lists Charisma (multiple times), Intelligence, and Wisdom.

Yogibear41
2015-09-04, 07:05 PM
X Stat to Y bonus does not include third party books.

Novawurmson
2015-09-05, 07:28 AM
I mean, what's the advantage of having it printed in a book if you don't really care about what book? You could just use this feat:

Wall of Meaty Muscle
Prerequisites: Str 13
Benefit: You add your Strength bonus to your hit points instead of your Constitution.

Sacrieur
2015-09-05, 09:23 AM
There's not a feat that does what you want because I checked through all the third party stuff. There could be a class or spell, however.

I think it would be a poor design to allow for it without a massive feat tax.

SkipSandwich
2015-09-05, 09:50 AM
the only games I know of that apply str to HP are games where HP does not scale with level, such as in Call of Cthulu. In that system, Str, Con and Size are the only factors to determine how many hp you have.

More commonly, you see strength applied to AC as Parry Defense vs melee or similar.

Telonius
2015-09-05, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know of any third party materials that allows for Strength to be added to hit points instead of Con? Or just getting some sort of benefit to hit points from Strength in general?

Only in a very roundabout and indirect way. Bastards and Bloodlines has a "Lost Tradition" feat that allows you to base spellcasting off of any stat. If your Strength happens to be really high, you can take that feat and base it off of Strength. The bonus spells you get from having a high Strength can be used to gain temporary hit points.

AnonymousPepper
2015-09-05, 10:32 AM
Only in a very roundabout and indirect way. Bastards and Bloodlines has a "Lost Tradition" feat that allows you to base spellcasting off of any stat. If your Strength happens to be really high, you can take that feat and base it off of Strength. The bonus spells you get from having a high Strength can be used to gain temporary hit points.

Don't need 3P for that. One of the Illumian options lets you get bonus spells from STR, it's the basis of Cancer Mage TO shenanigans.

Chronos
2015-09-05, 10:42 AM
Quoth Sacrieur:

There's not a feat that does what you want because I checked through all the third party stuff.
Well, no, you didn't go through all the third party stuff: You missed the third-party feat that Novawurmson posted a couple of hours before you. And probably a ton more material, but that's the most relevant one.

ericgrau
2015-09-05, 10:44 AM
3rd party scares people because it has more imbalanced and otherwise poorly written material than the usual.

I agree you may as well use homebrew. I'll adjust Novawurmson's feat to make it a bit more fair:

Wall of Meaty Muscle
Prerequisites: Str 15 plus 2 for every size category above medium that your character is, toughness.
Benefit: You add half your Strength modifier to your hit points instead of your Constitution modifier.

Still slightly powerful because you could pump strength up the wazoo. If your group doesn't optimize much then you could drop it to 1/3 modifier and add athletic to the pre-requisites.

Khedrac
2015-09-05, 11:01 AM
the only games I know of that apply str to HP are games where HP does not scale with level, such as in Call of Cthulu. In that system, Str, Con and Size are the only factors to determine how many hp you have.

More commonly, you see strength applied to AC as Parry Defense vs melee or similar.

Err, in Call of Cthulhu and other Chaosium Basic Roleplaying Game-based systems it is just Size and Con that determine hit points, strength has nothing to do with them (unlike original Traveller).

I too know of no method for any version of D&D.

Twurps
2015-09-05, 11:05 AM
3rd party scares people because it has more imbalanced and otherwise poorly written material than the usual.

I agree you may as well use homebrew. .....

3rd party IS homebrew.

I don't see how printing something would change that fact. Also: once you can 'find' it, that means the stuff has been 'published' in 1 form or another, or you wouldn't have found it. So vice versa works as wel: All homebrew is third party.

ericgrau
2015-09-05, 11:23 AM
3rd party IS homebrew.

I don't see how printing something would change that fact. Also: once you can 'find' it, that means the stuff has been 'published' in 1 form or another, or you wouldn't have found it. So vice versa works as wel: All homebrew is third party.

That's a bit of a stretch. Homebrew may be part of 3rd party but not all 3rd party is part of homebrew. It's not done at home. Even 3rd party at least has some oversight unlike most homebrew. Just less than WotC stuff. If we compare for example D&D wiki to 3rd party, the D&D wiki is a bit worse. Good homebrew can be better than 3rd party, but then I suppose good 3rd party could be better than bad WotC stuff.

That said there's not much to 3rd party and it's not that difficult to come up with better homebrew. And you may as well as long as you're careful. Having forums to bounce ideas back and forth helps, as does selectiveness from the reader. I meant you just can't take any random homebrew out there carelessly and expect it to even be as good as the low standard of 3rd party, as D&D wiki demonstrates.

Chronos
2015-09-05, 02:48 PM
No, dandwiki is third party, too, because the two terms are synonymous. Some things that gets put in books has at least some oversight, some doesn't. Some things that some denizen of the Internet slaps up on a webpage has some oversight, some doesn't. Heck, some things that were officially published by Wizards of the Coast appear not to have had any oversight, either.

ericgrau
2015-09-05, 03:13 PM
I suppose... potayto potahto. The speaker's meaning is what matters.

ShurikVch
2015-09-05, 03:54 PM
Void Release (20th level CF of Void Disciple) allow to use highest ability in place any lower; it works for number of round = (Void Disciple's level)/2, but if you can use it at level up, you can get your Str to hp

Thurbane
2015-09-05, 05:02 PM
Don't need 3P for that. One of the Illumian options lets you get bonus spells from STR, it's the basis of Cancer Mage TO shenanigans.

Just as an aside, Illumian ability is only for bonus spells; Lost Tradition includes bonus spells, save DCs and highest level spell calculations as well.

Yogibear41
2015-09-07, 02:58 AM

From this very same book is the feat Fey Soul, which allows you to use your Charisma modifier in place of your Con modifier at even levels for hit points. This is basically what I am looking for, but in regards to strength.

As far as Homebrew VS 3rd Party, at our table 3rd party is more likely to be accepted than something people just make up. (I know technically they are the same thing, but being published in a book so the DM can refer to it later generally helps the case more.) Granted I have used Homebrew stuff before.

Novawurmson
2015-09-07, 06:11 AM
I guess it makes sense if you add the word "balanced" to it, i.e. "Are there any balanced ways to add Str to hit points? Any source (including 3rd party) is fine." So maybe there's a 3rd party prestige class that grants it at 2nd level, so you have to invest heavily to get it, but it's worth it for your build.

Ok, I was just be pedantic. Sorry for diverting the thread. :smallredface:

Thurbane
2015-09-07, 04:37 PM
There is a ton of 3rd party material out there - I had a quick look at the Netbook of Feats; I doubt any of us have fully scoured ALL the 3rd party books. I'll have more of a look when time permits.