PDA

View Full Version : Orc pets?

Theodred theOld
2015-09-04, 12:14 AM
What kind of combat-ready pets would a bunch of orcs keep around. CR is irrelevant in this case. If the party wants a fight they can take on the frenzied berserker who leads the warband. This is strictly flavor.

Broken Crown
2015-09-04, 12:18 AM
Cute fuzzy kittens, of course. Saves the orcs from having to deal with all those annoying Commoners when they go on raids, letting them focus on the Warriors and PC classes instead.

Theodred theOld
2015-09-04, 01:27 AM
I kinda love that.

NevinPL
2015-09-04, 01:50 AM
Some monsters that can be easily intimidated like goblins ?
Dire wolfs ?
"LotR-ized" Worgs ?
Anything other that can be "trained" by hitting it enough times with a stick ?

hiryuu
2015-09-04, 02:05 AM
Cooshee, obviously. Lots of them.

Oneris
2015-09-04, 02:09 AM
I can see them keeping wild boars and wolverines and badgers as pets, kinda in the same way that dogs supposedly look like their human owners.

Thurbane
2015-09-04, 06:09 AM
Carcass Eaters seem like they'd appeal to Orcs.

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84742.jpg

sovin_ndore
2015-09-04, 08:33 AM
Cute fuzzy kittens, of course. Saves the orcs from having to deal with all those annoying Commoners when they go on raids, letting them focus on the Warriors and PC classes instead.
And if you really want to mess with things, feel free to make one of the housecats a Tibbit Catlord!

Spore
2015-09-04, 08:44 AM
There is a small part about Orc's favored pets in Orcs of Golarion. Their society is founded on the principles of physical strength and fear. So any intimidating predator comes to mind. If you can dominate a big fearsome warg, the other orcs can tell that you can deal with a lot of them. Anything big, predatory or intimidating goes.

- Wolves, Wargs, Winter Wolves.
- Boars
- Bigger Felines (although harder to tame)
- Owlbears (idk but they mention it)
- Bears
- Dogs (easiest to tame, prolly guard and attack dogs)
- Crows (as familiars, good omen because crows follow carnage)
- Rhinoceros, Mastodon, Mammut (Oliphants in various versions)
- Bulls

Telonius
2015-09-04, 08:51 AM
Alligators and crocodiles. Big, scary, lots of teeth, and best of all: green.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-04, 09:03 AM
We just need to find stats for these. (wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Squig)

Absol197
2015-09-04, 09:08 AM
As mentioned above, rhinos. In one campaign I ran, rhinos were the orc version of horses, and they use them to charge into battle.

It was glorious:smallbiggrin: !

yellowrocket
2015-09-04, 10:16 AM
As mentioned above, rhinos. In one campaign I ran, rhinos were the orc version of horses, and they use them to charge into battle.

It was glorious:smallbiggrin: !

I'm stealing thus if my campaign ever gets that far. That is a fearsome image. I love it!

Spore
2015-09-04, 10:20 AM
Alligators and crocodiles. Big, scary, lots of teeth, and best of all: green.

This reminds me: We should really know which climate your group is in. Some animals won't do very well in:

- deserts
- jungles
- mountains
- plains

Others are very beneficial.

Jay R
2015-09-04, 04:08 PM
I think I would go with rats.

[Or kobolds, but the orcs would need to keep them on a leash.]

Solaris
2015-09-04, 04:47 PM
I'd always just given orcs warbeast boars, warbeast dogs, and warbeast hyenas as pets. Never really had them use mounts, but I think now I'mma have them on warbeast rhinos 'cause that's a pretty gnarly idea.

Why warbeasts, do you ask? Well, it's simple. Orcs breed with anything. Simply anything... and warbeasts are the result.

I think I would go with rats.

[Or kobolds, but the orcs would need to keep them on a leash.]

Eh, either way the pet's smarter than the orcs.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-04, 05:07 PM
Wolves (Dire or otherwise)
Large Hunting Cats
Worgs (more like battle buddies, but whatever)
Alligators or Crocs
Owlbears (or regular bears)
Hydra (if the Warchief is really cool)
Boars (it was good enough for Warhammer)
Dire Badgers
Dire Wolverines
Any sufficiently large Predatory Lizard
Sturm Wolves

So ya, pick a big predator and ill bet an Orc has tamed it.

Well ya, that was the kobolds plan :smalltongue:

atemu1234
2015-09-04, 11:31 PM
Inquisitors, for surprise value.

yellowrocket
2015-09-04, 11:54 PM

"Our two weapons are suprise, and fear, and ruthless efficiency"

Dire Moose
2015-09-04, 11:59 PM
My first impulse was to use boars, which people have already mentioned and are often associated with orc-like creatures to begin with. Pigs can be kept as pets in real life too, so orcs having boars wouldn't even be pushing it that much.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-05, 12:49 AM
Some kind of enormous rat, maybe? That'd be pretty cool.

Red Fel
2015-09-05, 01:20 AM
Nobody has mentioned Krenshar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/krenshar.htm) yet? Color me surprised. A catlike animal that peels its flesh back to scare things off - there you go, power and fear.

Or maybe an Orc village has sort of "adopted" a Gray Render (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grayRender.htm) - or vice-versa. It's not so much a single Orc's "pet" as it is the whole village's. But having a big, lumbering thing that lurks around the village and brings you meat - and will straight-up murder anybody who threatens the village - is pretty nice, really.

As others have mentioned, Winter Wolves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/winterWolf.htm) are an option, if you're okay with the idea of taking on a creature of near-human intelligence as a "pet." A generally Evil creature of near-human intelligence that can breathe ice.

I'd get a kitten, but that's me.

Jay R
2015-09-05, 08:22 AM

So what's the alternative? Lichen?

Urpriest
2015-09-05, 08:29 AM
Whatever it is, Orcs should be less likely to have pets than most savage humanoids, since their Organization entry doesn't include them, while it does for many other races.

Theodred theOld
2015-09-05, 11:43 AM
They would never expect that. Nobody would.