PDA

View Full Version : Making a guy that specializes in poisons?

Lord of Lustria
2015-09-04, 12:58 AM
would it be viable to make a person that specializes in poisons? I was thinking maybe a dude that throws vials of poison or has a poisoned blowpipe or something? I was thinking a skillmonkey like a savant or something that uses poison as a way to fight. Thanks.

Pluto!
2015-09-04, 01:17 AM
would it be viable to make a person that specializes in poisons? I was thinking maybe a dude that throws vials of poison or has a poisoned blowpipe or something? I was thinking a skillmonkey like a savant or something that uses poison as a way to fight. Thanks.

Just leaving this here: Poison Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=bgccos8tvbm29p3l835nt5qno4&topic=2714.0)

I also really like Assassins (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8273.0), and the Psionic variant in Secrets of Sarlona plus Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation) does fun poisony things.

EDIT: Aaaaand just realized that I never finished the sentence in that guide about Psionic Minor Creationing poisons. Well, it's been years since I forgot my login, so it's up to the reader to determine what part of free and instantaneous poison-crafting is useful for a poisoner.

Lord of Lustria
2015-09-04, 01:46 AM
Also, I read that the gnome calculus is a thing that works like a sling and shoots vials of nasty stuff, what book is that in?

NevinPL
2015-09-04, 02:10 AM
would it be viable to make a person that specializes in poisons?
If you can bump the damage, or at least the DC, and bypass poison immunities of some monster, yeah.
There's a lot of nice poison improvements in Dragon 322. 301 has two alchemical poison improvements, 303 has a DC improving feat.
DotU has some nice options for poisoners too.

...has a poisoned blowpipe or something?
PAIZO's Ultimate Equipment has something like that - Poisoned sand tube.

Also, I read that the gnome calculus is a thing that works like a sling and shoots vials of nasty stuff, what book is that in?
A&EG.

mabriss lethe
2015-09-04, 08:40 AM
The best method of delivering contact and injury poisons that I've found is the Sandblaster (Sand Giant stat block from MM3) It's a ranged exotic weapon that fires a 10 ft cone of sand for some piddling damage and a fairly nice debuff with a reflex save based on your Con score. You can use ranged weapon enhancements and feats to boost it to a 30ft cone. It doesn't even technically require Exotic Weapon Proficiency because the penalty for nonproficiency is to your attack roll, which is something you don't make when delivering an area attack. By poisoning your shot, you have a single dose of poison auto-hit every target in range, as most targets will take damage even on a successful save vs the initial attack. If you pick up the rapid reload feat and give it the adaptive enhancement from Tome of Battle, you can reload it as a free action as if it were a light crossbow.

g3taso
2015-09-04, 10:04 AM
Check out the Master Alchemist feat. Make some DC30 drow poison! Also consider an alchemist class, as their "bombs" seem viable for your description.

Alistaroc
2015-09-04, 05:17 PM
If you have a rather lenient DM who will let you use Dark Sun, some web enhancements, and preferably Dragon Magazine, this is a pretty great poison user.

Human with 1 flaw, or Drow/half-drow with 2 flaws

Ninja 5/Assassin 2/Poisonmaster 9

Master of Poisons
Poison Expert
Poison Master
Poison Specialization
Vermin Trainer
Aleval School
Venomous Strike

+4 Feycraft Assassination Toxic Virulent Shortsword
Cloak of the Consort
Bracers of Murder
Ring of Anticipation

As many Megapedes and Colossal Monstrous Centipedes as you can afford with 5-8 Permanency-ed Reduce Animal spells. This makes them Small-Fine, and allows you to milk them for poison each day, which you put on your shortsword. Add Dwarven Oak and Orticusp from Dragon 301 if allowed.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-09-04, 07:36 PM
The bare minimum, I'd say:

Some form of psionics (Psion 1, Ardent 1, Psi Warrior 1 with Expanded Knowledge...) to get Psionic Major Creation. One manifestation will give you enough poison to kill a city. (Seriously-- a cubic foot of poison is, just, so much poison)
Master of Poisons feat (Drow of the Underdark) to poison your weapon properly.
Factotum 1 if your DM will let you apply Cunning Insight to ability damage rolls-- which I think it does by RAW, since it doesn't specify weapon damage rolls, but it's kind of cheesy.