PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Looking for help/feedback on "homemade" scaling weapon

Groggen
2015-09-04, 01:45 AM
Hi

I'm DMing a POTA game where everyone will eventually get a scaling weapon, item or armor.

One of the PCs is more or less a healbot, so I wanted to give him some ways to enter the fray a bit more actively, which is where the warhammer comes in. There's also a rogue (thief) that will receive a bow. This is what I came up with (admittedly I've borrowed from all over the place, hope people don't mind):

Cool name?
Warhammer
1D10 bludgeoning. Versatile (1D12)
(requires attunement by a full-level caster)

This slightly larger than usual warhammer is made of a stone-like material with veins of a strange metal. Its weight however, is quite ordinary, while the balance lends itself to powerful swings with one hand or two alike. Silver ribbons inscribed with dwarven runes adorn the edge of the top and bottom of the hilt, as well as the head itself.

The metal veins that criss cross the weapon from top to bottom start to slightly glow when the wielder is channeling arcane energy. This resonance even seems to cause a power surge within the person wielding the weapon, maybe to fatal levels as well, although that has never been certified.

While you are holding this weapon in at least one hand, you can focus your inherent magical powers through it. This allows you, as an action, to aim a brilliant beam of radiant energy at a creature within range (60 ft.). Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, it takes 2d4 radiant damage, and unless it is immune to the blinded condition, it has disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn. This damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

Level 5:
XXX has 4 charges that reset at dawn each day. You may spend one charge to bump the damage dice of a spell by one step (from d6 to d8, etc.).

Level 7/8:
Your familiarity with the weapon and especially the workings of the strange metal veins' magic resonance now allow you to deliver a touch spell as part of an attack. You still expend a spell slot as usual.

Level 11:
Each time you channel arcane energy, the veins retain trace amounts of it even after you've cast the spell. Your understanding of the metal veins now allows you to release that pent up energy as an attack in itself.
As an action the warhammer can be struck against the ground or similarly hard surface to create a wave of destruction. All creatures within 20 feet of you must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. Creatures who fail take 4d10 force damage and are knocked prone. Creatures who succeed take half damage and are not knocked prone. You must complete a long rest before you can use this ability again.

FROSTBOW
Weapon (shortbow)
(requires attunement)

A bow partly covered in ice. It is chill to the touch. When exposed to direct sunlight, the ice seems to be melting, but never disappears completely. Once out of the sun, the ice forms anew. The bow also has an innate ability to float on water.

While attuned to the bow, when you draw back the string an arrow made of ice magically appears and may be shot. This ability also allows the wielder to use a bonus action to attack, without adding the dex modifier to damage. This weapon now deals cold damage, in addition to making creatures who take damage from this bow lose their reaction for the round.

Level 7/8:
Having gotten used to handling the bow and even obtained a slight understanding of how it works, your efficiency with it has increased. You now add your Dex modifier to the damage even when you use it as a bonus action.

Level 10
Your mastery of the inherent magic in the bow that lets you create arrows has increased to the point that you are now able to create an arrow that is different from the regular ones.

Freezing arrow: This arrow is far more brittle than the regular ones. So brittle, in fact, that upon impact it shatters immediately. This means that the target, whether it be a creature, an object or the ground for that sake, takes no actual damage from being hit. However, the thousands of tiny ice crystals that spread from the arrow almost instantly cover an area of a 10 feet radius with a thin sheet of ice. Any creature entering or starting its turn in the area must make a Dex save. If it succeeds it manages to keep its footing on the ice, although the area remains difficult terrain, for the rest of the turn; if it fails it falls prone and loses its turn.

You can use this ability 2 times per long rest.

Level 12
Exploding arrow: By making a brittle arrow consisting of fewer, but larger ice crystals you can now fire an arrow that upon impact explodes in a shower of sharp and deadly ice shards. The target of the attack and each creature within 10 feet of it must make a dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 5d8 piercing damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful one.

You can use Freezing Arrow or Exploding Arrow 3 times per long rest, but neither one can be used more than twice in that time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Both on power levels and suggestions for either function or fluff/flair.
I don't mind slightly OP, as I can manage that by nerfing/reducing other loot for instance, but to find something somewhat balanced would be nice.

Btw! If you've read this far: Thanks for your time, regardless :)

zylodrizzt
2015-09-04, 09:31 AM
Not sure of balance generally I look at things that do something similar see what it does how often n what not n alter from there making it better in an area but worse in another or gaining it a bit later n such. I do believe this is a great idea however treasure would have to be altered accordingly since each one of these magic items is like having several. They tried it in weapons of legacy and in my opinion it was done poorly for the benefits it gave.