PDA

View Full Version : What are the most creative/awesome/memorable dungeons you have seen?

Guran
2015-09-04, 03:18 AM
Enough with all the horror stories. Lets talk about the pinnacle of design we have seen in our career of deep (or high) dungeon delving. Be it mount marshmallow, a hidden tom in the oceon floor or the belly of a skywhale you had to escape. What is your favorite dungeon you have come across?

For me it must have been the insane, twisted carnival dungeon that was designed by a joker-esque god-villain to basicly screw with the minds of our characters. Now the campaign itself was shortlived, the DM wasn't on the same level of gamestyle as the players and railroaded a bit too much, but damn he had some very good ideas. In this twisted carnival dungeon we had to go to every single attaction to get out of there. Including a tunnel to love that tried to charm our characters into kissing, a mirrorhouse filled with illusions, a monkey cage and eventually we ended up in a major circustent. Oh and most of the clownlike enemies we encountered exploded when they died and a lot of random items come out of them, raining over everyone unfortunate enough to be walking there.

Another dungeon I went through was a simple ancient dwarven citadel. But it had weeping angels, which was awesome. They almost got my character, but a fellow party member saved me at the last second.

Right now I am thinking about designing a massive ghostship that is about to dissapear into a maelstrom with some of the greatest magical items. Meaning the characters will have limited time to get what they need. It will have a lot of spooky elements and horrormovie references. And it will have a bit of a speed element as the dungeon is about to dissapear into the depth of the ocean. Other then that I still have to work out a lot. I am really curious after all of your impressive dungeon tales though.

It Sat Rap
2015-09-04, 03:55 AM
We played DnD 3.5. This was 5 years ago, I don't remember how we get there, but our characters were in a crashed spaceship. The aliens were all dead, but some of the electrical devices still work, and our characters were really confused.

Strange, this door opens by itself when you approach it, but it has no magical aura!
They have strange torches in this cave, and their fire is not even warm!
Why are all the walls, the ceiling and the floor covered with metal plates? What is this good for?
*Starring at a secruity camera screen that shows the room you were in before: What is this, some kind of magical portal? No, it's not magical at all! What kind of sorcery is this?

It was a short dungeon with only one encounter, but a memorable one.

darkscizor
2015-09-04, 01:58 PM
My best dungeon was based off of one character thinking too much of an engraved stone eye in one wall (which showed that the secret treasure room that they'd been looking for was on the opposite wall.

One remark, several eye tentacle encounters, and at the end of a beholder battle later, they finally got their treasure out of the room. Literally everything in the room, besides the characters and their posessions, had an eye or more. The walls, coins (yay, treasure), gems, ceiling, floors, traps, furniture, and etc. were all eye-themed (think Count Olaf's house). And the McGuffin later in the campaign? A glass (okay, diamond) eye.

Guran
2015-09-05, 03:22 AM
We played DnD 3.5. This was 5 years ago, I don't remember how we get there, but our characters were in a crashed spaceship. The aliens were all dead, but some of the electrical devices still work, and our characters were really confused.

Strange, this door opens by itself when you approach it, but it has no magical aura!
They have strange torches in this cave, and their fire is not even warm!
Why are all the walls, the ceiling and the floor covered with metal plates? What is this good for?
*Starring at a secruity camera screen that shows the room you were in before: What is this, some kind of magical portal? No, it's not magical at all! What kind of sorcery is this?

It was a short dungeon with only one encounter, but a memorable one.
Oh, that sounds really cool. Especially if you have a party that goes along with it and manages to play completly oblivious.