PDA

View Full Version : Some Dungeon Creativity

Ranis
2007-05-10, 09:55 PM
So, I'm making an interesting dungeon that's going to consist of one room, and each room has a large triangular stone. There are nine triangles all pointing to the center of the circular room, and on upon touching each triangle, every PC within 20 feet of the triangle is teleported to an illusory, imaginary domain where the PC's must enact a tennant of Heironeous, or act in some way that exemplifies the way that Heironeous would expect his followers would act.

These are the room destinations I made:

1. Burning tavern. PC's must save the bar patrons from certain doom by the hands of pirate invaders.
2. PC's must organize NPC's to defend a tower against hobgoblin invaders.
3. PC's must attend a trial to prove a man innocent of a crime that he did not do.
4. Break up a fight between two warring but otherwise totally peaceful orc tribes.
5. PC's must be martyrs of a righteous cause. (Upon death, they would be zapped back into the main chamber, perfectly fine, the task completed.)
6. Lead a group of good soldiers against a futile onslaught of an oncoming goblin onslaught
7. Save virgins from being sacrificed to Erythnul.
8. Defend a maiden's honor.
9. I really have no idea yet.

I need some help with a couple of these, if anyone has any good ideas about them. Specifically, numbers 3, 5, and 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially filling in slot number 9. Thanks!

jjpickar
2007-05-10, 10:30 PM
Number nine should test their honesty. Let them be present as witnesses of a trial for a horrible whose crimes are unproven. They are the only ones that can conclusively prove that he committed the particular crime he is standing trial for. Only one problem, their evidence is not true. If they tell the truth he will be set free. If not he is destined to kill hundreds of people. The right answer is to honestly present their evidence but give them only 30 seconds to decide before they are whisked away.

kellandros
2007-05-11, 01:40 AM
In any ordinary campaign, you will have a very hard time convincing a character to willingly matyr himself. This would require some pretty powerful hints. Perhaps describe it as a famous historical battle- roll a fake Knowledge: History check and tell them they made it perhaps? You could play up the bravery of the side fighting against near-hopeless odds for reinforcements to arrive(and they won't). There is an old cliche of the famous fallen hero from the battle gets killed early on(due to the PC's arrival), so they have to take his place to preserve history.

Just throwing overwhelming forces against them can cause hard feelings, that you are trying to kill off their character and participation in the game. It really depends upon the understanding of your players, but it just sounds risky. And there is always the off-off chance they could end up winning...

TheOOB
2007-05-11, 01:53 AM
Ahh, you have to love militant good dieties.

When making the challenges, keep in mind that Heironeous primarly cares about justice and defeating evil. A good challege would be making a choice between saving an innocent or defeating a powerful evil doer. The "Heironeous" course of action would be to defeat the evil doer, as the pursuit of justice is more important then any one persons life, especially when saving that persons life may jepordize other peoples lives.

Funkyodor
2007-05-11, 01:53 AM
3. Have the PC's "Quantum Leap" into the bodies of the Defense Attorney, Assistant, Man on Trial, etc...
5. Martyers are not always killed in battle, you can press the honesty issue by having them tortured to death for unwillingness to lie about the cause they support (Joan of Arc ish).
8. In 'Olden Times' a woman who was not a virgin on her wedding day could be returned or sometimes killed. PC's could investigate the BBEG who just wants the Dowery with no strings attached.

Ranis
2007-05-11, 07:13 AM
3. Have the PC's "Quantum Leap" into the bodies of the Defense Attorney, Assistant, Man on Trial, etc...

This isn't the part that's troubling me; I'm having a doosey of a time writing what the trial would actually be.

EagleWiz
2007-05-11, 08:31 AM
One thing. Even if you have the PC's tortured i know exactly what "typacal" ones would do.

Mob/tourterer: Repent or die!
PC's: Never
Mob/Tourterer (Tourters PCs)
Mage type pc: Fireball
Rouge type pc: Escape
Fighter Type PC: Punch! (Hope you dont have a monk)

So that wont work either.

DaMullet
2007-05-11, 09:49 AM
I recommend you find on the internets or at home a few episodes of Monk, or perhaps CSI (the first one).

They have a good number of plot twists that you could apply to a DnD setting.