PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making a Dresden Occultist

Vhaidara
2015-09-04, 07:19 AM
So, I want to use the occultist class to make Harry Dresen, preferably following a progression (this might see use in pfs).

I'm thinking my starting implements would be abjurations and evocation, using the shield bracelet and blasting rod. Divination would probably be a later pickup (skull implement), as well as a second evocation for the staff. A third evocation (gloves) might fit for his force rings.

Anyone got any ideas/things I missed?

Slithery D
2015-09-04, 11:29 AM
So, I want to use the occultist class to make Harry Dresen, preferably following a progression (this might see use in pfs).

I'm thinking my starting implements would be abjurations and evocation, using the shield bracelet and blasting rod. Divination would probably be a later pickup (skull implement), as well as a second evocation for the staff. A third evocation (gloves) might fit for his force rings.

Anyone got any ideas/things I missed?

For Outside Contact you'd want something faerie/pixie like to simulate Toot Toot. Lykarien Azata?

Vhaidara
2015-09-04, 11:41 AM
Yeah, my thought was to find a little outsider for that, or see about getting fey as an option (outside of pfs).

Summons I need: toot, chauncy, an Oracle spirit or two. Anyone else?

khadgar567
2015-09-04, 11:45 AM
he also has two sword type implements his sword cane and Fidelacchius( Kusangani( quest material/plot twist))

Slithery D
2015-09-04, 11:51 AM
Yeah, my thought was to find a little outsider for that, or see about getting fey as an option (outside of pfs).

Summons I need: toot, chauncy, an Oracle spirit or two. Anyone else?

If you can do fey, not just outsiders, you can finish with this:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/cat-sith

he also has two sword type implements his sword cane and Fidelacchius( Kusangani( quest material/plot twist))

Well he owns them, but he doesn't use them in his magic like he does the skull, rings, staff, and blasting rods. Not really implements, IMO.

stack
2015-09-04, 11:54 AM
The rings are more like a use/day item, given the way they have to be charged up between uses. One ring (early series) is 1/day, with a greater version later allowing a number of charges to be used. Bullrush + force damage effect, CMB and damage scale with charges used.

Vhaidara
2015-09-04, 12:04 PM
Yeah, he sword cane and his gun are just weapons, not implements (though I'll need to dip gunslinger at some point for that).

And I don't recall him ever USING fidelacchius.

The rings probably would be better represented by an upgraded ring of the ram. But I do need more implements for the class, and they are closer than most things he uses (and more consistent, he has plenty of one offs)

Slithery D
2015-09-04, 12:21 PM
The rings are more like a use/day item, given the way they have to be charged up between uses. One ring (early series) is 1/day, with a greater version later allowing a number of charges to be used. Bullrush + force damage effect, CMB and damage scale with charges used.

Yeah, I should have said the shield bracelet.

The duster (cloak or maybe convert into leather armor) should be an implement.

khadgar567
2015-09-04, 12:22 PM
Yeah, he sword cane and his gun are just weapons, not implements (though I'll need to dip gunslinger at some point for that).

And I don't recall him ever USING fidelacchius.

its more like dm object then one of his implements so he just seeks proper holder as unofficial quest

stack
2015-09-04, 12:51 PM
Really need rituals/invocations to cover most of his out of combat magic, but that won't help in PFS.

I've mentally statted Dresden as a SoP thaumaturge with focused casting (and maybe draining casting, verbal casting, and magical signs) as a drawback split between different items for different spheres, plus the ritual caster feat, but again, that's getting way off-topic.

On topic - possible implements:
Shield Bracelet (force field, not sure what spells map well to it)
Staff (wind/telekinesis, any fine manipulation or subtle magic)
Blasting Rod (fire spells, mainly)
Duster (loaded with defensive enchants)
Rings (discussed above)
Amulet (anchored light spells on it and after an upgrade gave knowledge of traveling the ways)
Drum (if you need to raise a zombie T-Rex)
Smart-mouthed skull (divinations, comic relief, exposition)

Don't see taking gunslinger. He's from a 'guns everywhere' setting and has enough BAB and dex to land touch attacks.

Vhaidara
2015-09-04, 01:25 PM
Slinger is for if I go pfs. Iirc, guns are banned without the dip.