PDA

View Full Version : True Strike, Swift?

Blackhawk748
2015-09-04, 10:24 AM
Ok i coulda swore i saw a True Strike that could be used as a Swift action, IIRC it just gave a +10 to hit and didnt ignore Concealment. I cant find it, and im not sure if its even a thing.

Inevitability
2015-09-04, 10:32 AM
Duskblades can cast True Strike as a swift action a few times per day later on. Perhaps you got it from there?

Blackhawk748
2015-09-04, 10:41 AM
Duskblades can cast True Strike as a swift action a few times per day later on. Perhaps you got it from there?

Thats probably it.

Segev
2015-09-04, 10:42 AM
Hm. Arcane Thesis and the metaschool feat for divination would get quickened true strike down to a 2nd level spell slot. Is there a way, outside of PrCs, to get a full -4 to the metamagic cost of a feat? Being able to throw a quickened true strike each round would make for a potent single-attack build (maybe a gish ubercharger?).

RolandDeschain
2015-09-04, 10:46 AM
Dragon Prophesier + Prophecy's Artifex + Craft Wand = Swift Action(Wand+Wand Chamber) True Strike

Slithery D
2015-09-04, 11:12 AM
Ok i coulda swore i saw a True Strike that could be used as a Swift action, IIRC it just gave a +10 to hit and didnt ignore Concealment. I cant find it, and im not sure if its even a thing.

Psionic power Inevitable Strike might be what you were thinking of.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/i/inevitable-strike

jiriku
2015-09-04, 11:18 AM
The spell sure strike is a swift cast and grants +1/3 CL as an insight bonus to attack rolls.

Psyren
2015-09-04, 11:29 AM
There's a psionic power that does this in DSP; +5 instead of +10, but it's a swift action and you do get to beat concealment. Inevitable Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/i/inevitable-strike)

Blackhawk748
2015-09-04, 11:32 AM
The spell sure strike is a swift cast and grants +1/3 CL as an insight bonus to attack rolls.

2 things:

1. Thats probably it
2. Wow thats bad.

jiriku
2015-09-04, 11:53 AM
2 things:

1. Thats probably it
2. Wow thats bad.

Yeah, it's pretty awful. At high levels, the bonus starts to become relevant and many characters have extra spell slots to burn for it, but at high levels, a well-optimized character probably already has better uses for the swift action.

Blackhawk748
2015-09-04, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it's pretty awful. At high levels, the bonus starts to become relevant and many characters have extra spell slots to burn for it, but at high levels, a well-optimized character probably already has better uses for the swift action.

Ya, +1/3 CL is just terrible, especially for a 2nd level spell. +2/2 or 3 CL seems better.

Rebel7284
2015-09-04, 02:54 PM
Hm. Arcane Thesis and the metaschool feat for divination would get quickened true strike down to a 2nd level spell slot. Is there a way, outside of PrCs, to get a full -4 to the metamagic cost of a feat? Being able to throw a quickened true strike each round would make for a potent single-attack build (maybe a gish ubercharger?).

You can totally do it without PrCs, but of course it's easier with something like Incantatrix, Hathran, or Dweomerkeeper =)

You may need to take Magical Training or Spontaneous Divination to count as a spontaneous caster.

Arcane Thesis [True Strike] (-1)
Easy Metamagic [Quicken Spell] (-1)
Practical Metamagic [Quicken Spell] (-1)
Metamagic School Focus (-1)

edit: alternatively, there is a Rod AND a MIC Circlet for quickening spells.

JohnDaBarr
2015-09-04, 05:57 PM
Well you can always use Create Wondrous Items to create an auto resetting handheld trap that casts True Strike on the holder and can be activated by a swift action.

Still be aware that at that point your DM will murder you and hit this with a small planet size banhammer.

Keld Denar
2015-09-04, 09:27 PM
Insight bonuses are about the 2nd most common bonus to hit, after Moral. If you are a gish and you aren't using Knowledge Devotion (insight bonus), you are doing it wrong less right.

Chronos
2015-09-05, 07:36 AM
Surely enhancement is the most common kind of bonus to hit? And luck might also be more common than insight.

Anthrowhale
2015-09-05, 08:03 AM
Arcane Thesis [True Strike] (-1)
Easy Metamagic [Quicken Spell] (-1)

Easy Metamagic is a metamagic feat, and hence Arcane Thesis + Easy Metamagic provides a -2 rather than a -1 to spell slot level.

AnonymousPepper
2015-09-05, 10:53 AM
Easy Metamagic is a metamagic feat, and hence Arcane Thesis + Easy Metamagic provides a -2 rather than a -1 to spell slot level.

That is such cheesy RAW, I love it.

Keld Denar
2015-09-05, 11:24 AM
Surely enhancement is the most common kind of bonus to hit? And luck might also be more common than insight.

I guess enhancement is probably the most common, given that it comes from the weapon, and most weapons above a certain level have it. I'd say luck and insight are close to even from spells, but then there are a bunch of feats and items that give insight as well, such as the mentioned Knowledge Devotion and that once Battlemage tactical feat from Complete Mage. Plus I know there is a Weapon Crystal that gives one.