PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] Mage Hunter 5e

Ookakiba
2015-09-04, 10:38 AM
So, throughout the course of the campaign currently several exciting events happened. However, one in particular lead to one of our players becoming an anti-mage sorcerer. However, he felt like just using the sorcerer class wasn't enough so I spent the past few days creating my first homebrew class of 5e known as the mage hunter. I'll be expanding some more on the flavor text, just wanted to get this up and running before our next session.

Mage Hunter (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nwZyvU25unNYiuwq8yiorAMVz3hWkkXeXkdMBAC9eC0/edit?usp=sharing)

The link is above and it's inside a google docs. Looking forward to feedback as well as any balancing issues or flavor issues in general. Thanks guys.

Changelog:

ImSAMazing
2015-09-04, 12:14 PM
So, throughout the course of the campaign currently several exciting events happened. However, one in particular lead to one of our players becoming an anti-mage sorcerer. However, he felt like just using the sorcerer class wasn't enough so I spent the past few days creating my first homebrew class of 5e known as the mage hunter. I'll be expanding some more on the flavor text, just wanted to get this up and running before our next session.

Mage Hunter (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1keSm75Q1dDH3YoA8FhYv2EtGJ9A4NTnZlL2d3Q_Keyo/edit?usp=sharing)

The link is above and it's inside a google docs. Looking forward to feedback as well as any balancing issues or flavor issues in general. Thanks guys.

First, I really like the description, the intro about Mage Hunters.
The ability's seem balanced, but I really, really like the fluff. I hope my DM allows this :D

Flashy
2015-09-04, 01:35 PM
I quite like the class as a whole, but I think the spell list is perhaps a trifle much. It reads as sort of a gish best-of list, especially at the early levels. First level is mostly the cleric spell list with a smite spell thrown on, but the 3rd level list really needs adjustment. Haste and Elemental Weapon aren't on the spell lists for any of the existing gish full casters (bard, cleric, warlock), and Protection from Energy is only on the cleric list. I'd rather see it narrowed to only one of those options (preferably Elemental Weapon or Protection from Energy) simply because I'd rather not give any single class ALL the good buff magic at the same time. Concentration prevents stacking, but it's still a level of flexibility that none of the others have.

Ookakiba
2015-09-04, 09:20 PM
First, I really like the description, the intro about Mage Hunters.
The ability's seem balanced, but I really, really like the fluff. I hope my DM allows this :D

Thanks man. I'll be updating the fluff to add more fluff to make it in line with other classes.

I quite like the class as a whole, but I think the spell list is perhaps a trifle much. It reads as sort of a gish best-of list, especially at the early levels. First level is mostly the cleric spell list with a smite spell thrown on, but the 3rd level list really needs adjustment. Haste and Elemental Weapon aren't on the spell lists for any of the existing gish full casters (bard, cleric, warlock), and Protection from Energy is only on the cleric list. I'd rather see it narrowed to only one of those options (preferably Elemental Weapon or Protection from Energy) simply because I'd rather not give any single class ALL the good buff magic at the same time. Concentration prevents stacking, but it's still a level of flexibility that none of the others have.

I can agree with that. The spell list for the Mage Hunter was designed to have versatility in order to take down mages. As such, they have spells from different fields that allow them to buff, hide, etc. I do agree with your suggestion though, so I removed the other two and left Protection From Energy on there. I also changed the spell list around for the early levels.

wayfare
2015-09-11, 12:04 PM
The idea of a full caster that specifically targets full casters is awesome! I think this will end up being a really fun class to play, after the class is cleaned up a bit. Specific critiques below:

I feel like you have too much going on in the spell list. It doesn't feel like a "wizard slayer" spell list to me, particularly at higher levels. It has these odd "random swath of destruction" spells that feel to unfocused to be a mage hunter. Scorching Ray makes sense to me. Fireball, not so much.
Unending Assault is too niche, and the fact that you can end the assault with a save after every attack is so much rolling that it may become tedious to use.
I feel like you have too many features that individually play off of Charisma Modifier uses. I think it would be more consistent with 5e to have a single ability (like channel divinity) that can be spent multiple ways. Having these features play off spell sense could work.
I feel like Magic Lock is too much, particularly when you have the very well-written Mage Slayer ability in there. Only Stuns lockdown harder, and that's at least universal. This will either end encounters against casters, or have no effect if you're playing against a Warlock, since it doesnt block EB.
Anti-Magic Field as a 11th level SLA w/o concentration? Big no. Thats a 15th level cast for a reason. You've effectively metamagiced it, eliminated the resource cost, and made it available 4 levels earlier. Too potent under all situations.
Knowledge of magic is just a grab at EB. I'm not super found of features that grab defining features from other classes, but that may just be me.
Warcaster looks like a feat, it has so much rolled into it. Too much for a single ability, imo.
Nullification Aura has too many uses, lasts too long, and applies too broadly. Why not "You have resistance to all damage caused by spell, spell like abilities, and cantrips."
Null Magic is too much. The cost is too high, the effect hits PCs more than the monsters youre facing at this point -- You demagic a Balor or Solar and its still smacking you around with 2d8+5d10 and using innate mobility to get away. As written doesn't do anything to lair actions, nor should it. I think you're better off taking magic lock and putting it here, maybe making it an AMF that selectively envelopes certain targets in range.

Sicarius Victis
2016-05-19, 01:15 AM
You know why Mage Slayer was so well-written, and why War Caster looks like a feat? It's because both of them are ALREADY feats. Take out those abilities, replace them with something a bit smaller, and let the players pick up those feats on their own. Then, it could be good to go. I think. I'm not a good judge for this kind of thing.

zeek0
2016-05-20, 07:22 AM
I just took a breeze-through look, but here's my thoughts:

gaining 1 martial weapon of your choice is almost as good as just gaining martial weapon proficiency - most characters will keep with a single weapon throughout their career. Also, the descriptor "martial" separates it from "simple", not from "ranged". There are martial ranged weapons: an example is the longbow.

Spell Sense: Since this is appreciably different from Detect Magic and the spell is fairly short, I would just list the spell effect here, with changes made.

Spellsense: Reverse Magic: I see no reason that this is connected to Spellsense - it makes more sense to pair this with Disperse Magic. As is, it needs to be reworded so that you control the outcome of the spell and the DC roll is clear. Here's my attempt:
"By 9th level, a mage hunter has gained experience from countless encounters with mages, clerics, and other beings who use spells. They are able to use their magic to reverse incoming spells. As a reaction to a creature targeting them with a spell, the mage hunter may expend a use of spellsense and make a Charisma ability check. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a success, the spell is reflected back at the caster as if it was cast by the mage hunter. The new target may make a spell save DC. ..."

Seal Magic: Imagine that you have a mage BBEG, and you succeed in using this ability on them. The fight is basically over, no contest. Against a mage, it is a save or die spell - something generally frowned upon.

Arcane Blade: This feature essentially allows you to cast a spell and make a weapon attack in the same round - which is what Eldritch Knights get at level 18. At 6th level you can make two attacks and cast a spell on the target. QED: way too powerful.

Unending Assualt: This is also too powerful - some enemies have a low AC but are powerful because of their versatility in combat or high HP. This allows you a silly amount of nova.

General Note: These class abilities will prevent spells, but not spell-like abilities. Channel Divinity, Warlock Invocations, Monk WotFE, dragonbreath, siren song, and medusa stares - all will still be fully functional against you.

General Note: The class features have little use outside of mage hunting (especially Null Mage). Need to kill the goblin king because he kidnapped your wife? You better hope he's a mage, because otherwise your only feature that does anything is your spellcasting. In my experience most enemies are non-magic users, unless your world is brimming with casters.

General Note: I'd like to see more flavorful bits for this class. Every feature is focused on combat.