PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Unbodied Brain in a Jar

prufock
2015-09-04, 11:27 AM
For my upcoming Halloween game, the players are all making monstrous PCs (no humanoids allowed!). I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on a level adjustment for brain in a jar, and I've been comparing it to the unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) at LA +4. For reference, my other players are building:

Human Vampire (4 class levels + 8 LA = ECL 12)
Succubus (6 racial HD + 6 LA = ECL 12)
Phasm (5 racial HD + 7 LA = ECL 12)
One player undecided

One idea I've had is to use the unbodied stats, since it has a similar flavour and mechanics to brain in a jar, but to alter and add some things. How much do you think the following would alter the LA?

Type changes to undead (with all undead traits), loses incorporeal subtype
+4 turn resistance
Madness (1d4 wisdom damage to anyone that tries to look in its mind)
Add Telekinetic Thrust and Telekinetic Maneuver as at-will powers - basically duplicating the BIAJ's telekinesis SLA
Rebuke Undead as a cleric of its HD
Blindsight 60'
Mind Thrust (standard action, 2d10 on failed will save) replaces incorporeal touch

I'm not including the BIAJ's suggestion or dominate SLAs, since the unbodied can duplicate these with powers (it gains powers as a psion of its HD).

So how much would all this change the LA? What if I let him keep incorporeal subtype and incorporeal touch power as well?

My advice to the player will be to take more racial HD or psion levels (they stack). He's expressed interest in a one-level dip of pyrokineticist to get the fire whip.

The party will be ECL 12, but with a lot lower HD. So they may be powerful, but they'll be kind of squishy. It won't be a combat-heavy adventure, though.

Advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Rizban
2015-09-10, 05:54 PM
Type changes to undead (with all undead traits), loses incorporeal subtype
+4 turn resistance
Madness (1d4 wisdom damage to anyone that tries to look in its mind)
Add Telekinetic Thrust and Telekinetic Maneuver as at-will powers - basically duplicating the BIAJ's telekinesis SLA
Rebuke Undead as a cleric of its HD
Blindsight 60'
Mind Thrust (standard action, 2d10 on failed will save) replaces incorporeal touch

Made your list numbered for ease of response.

Worth about +0.5 to +1 LA. In this campaign, not as strong as it could be.
Not really worth mentioning on LA.
Significant defensive ability. Worth about +0.5
PLAs means fully augemented for free. At will is easily a +1.
Worth about +0.5 to +0.75
Meh
Again, PLA. Worth <+1.

I'd say this is all an additional +3 to +4. Losing incorporeal would make the whole thing a solid +6 to +7, depending on the final ability score adjustments.