PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter type character

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-04, 01:38 PM
So, I was thinking of character concepts and I wanted to make a bounty hunter character, I came up with a weird Thug Fighter/Urban Ranger/Bloodhound combination.

My idea is that he uses a dagger whip (from 3.0) and bolas.

Trouble is, both of these are exotic weapons.

Are there ways to gain these weapons without directly getting the feats for them? I know dipping into bard would get me whips, but I dont want to do that.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-04, 02:53 PM
I know dipping into bard would get me whips, but I dont want to do that.
I had actually never realized that bards have an exotic weapon proficiency, but you are correct in this. Unfortunately while the Whip Dagger in the Arms & Equipment Guide does in fact state that anyone proficient with Whip can use the Whip Dagger, I don't know of any way to get Exotic Weapon Proficiencies except taking the feat, taking certain races, or taking certain classes or prestige classes. None that I have located give Whip and Bola.

Neanderthals (Frostburn) get +1 to attacks with bolas, but don't actually get the proficiency.
Grippli (DR324) get weapon familiarity with bolas and nets.
The Filipino style Monk (DR330 p90) gains Whip.
Desert/Wasteland or Subterranean/Underdark Druids (DR331 p87) gain Whip.
Grassland/Savannah Druids (DR331 p87) gain Bolas.
Hathran (PGF 59) gains Whip.
Maiden of Pain (PGF 182) gains Whip.

Dread_Head
2015-09-04, 03:16 PM
One level of Master of Masks (Complete Scoundrel) and the gladiator mask will grant you proficiency with all exotic weapons which might be better than blowing feats for Bolas and Whips. Fairly easy entry as well if you have the skill points to blow. Only problem is it comes online at 6th level at the earliest.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-04, 03:41 PM
One level of Master of Masks (Complete Scoundrel) and the gladiator mask will grant you proficiency with all exotic weapons which might be better than blowing feats for Bolas and Whips. Fairly easy entry as well if you have the skill points to blow. Only problem is it comes online at 6th level at the earliest.

I would second this for your build. You get two masks at 1st level and there is a Lord Mask that gives you a +2 Competence bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks which also might be useful for your character. The idea of the masks for a bounty hunter actually sounds very cool!

Venger
2015-09-04, 04:20 PM
also worth looking into (since you already said bloodhound) are cityscape's crimson scourge and complete warrior's justiciar.

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-05, 02:52 PM
Wasnt there a fighter substitution that allowed you to gain EWP or was that only for shields? Or was it armor?

Fighters could get exotic something

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-05, 02:55 PM
I had actually never realized that bards have an exotic weapon proficiency, but you are correct in this. Unfortunately while the Whip Dagger in the Arms & Equipment Guide does in fact state that anyone proficient with Whip can use the Whip Dagger, I don't know of any way to get Exotic Weapon Proficiencies except taking the feat, taking certain races, or taking certain classes or prestige classes. None that I have located give Whip and Bola.

Neanderthals (Frostburn) get +1 to attacks with bolas, but don't actually get the proficiency.
Grippli (DR324) get weapon familiarity with bolas and nets.
The Filipino style Monk (DR330 p90) gains Whip.
Desert/Wasteland or Subterranean/Underdark Druids (DR331 p87) gain Whip.
Grassland/Savannah Druids (DR331 p87) gain Bolas.
Hathran (PGF 59) gains Whip.
Maiden of Pain (PGF 182) gains Whip.

People often dont realize that Rogues get Hand Crossbow proficiency either, which again is an EWP.

Dread_Head
2015-09-05, 03:14 PM
Wasnt there a fighter substitution that allowed you to gain EWP or was that only for shields? Or was it armor?

Fighters could get exotic something

Exoticist Fighter from Dragon #310 get four exotic weapon proficiencies.