PDA

View Full Version : Things that don't kill you and your familiar

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-09-04, 01:41 PM
If your wizard is hit by a spell such as stone to flesh or smoky confinement, what happens to his or her familiar?

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-04, 01:42 PM
They are unbound from their master. They dont die.

Flickerdart
2015-09-04, 01:44 PM
They are unbound from their master. They dont die.
Why would they be unbound from the master?

TheCrowing1432
2015-09-04, 01:47 PM
Why would they be unbound from the master?

Well, I dont see how being a stone statue would maintain the link between the two.

Smokey confinement would probably maintain the link though

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-09-04, 01:48 PM
I thought that only happens if the wizard dies. Stone to flesh your character is not living, but is not dead either. In smoky confinement heor she is in suspended animation.

Flickerdart
2015-09-04, 01:48 PM
Well, I dont see how being a stone statue would maintain the link between the two.
Why would it sever the link? The wizard is not dead; he never stopped being a wizard with the familiar class feature. He just had his body replaced with a stone statue.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-09-04, 01:57 PM
Do the spell s affect the familiar as well as the master specifically if the familiar is with in arm's reach.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-04, 01:58 PM
If your wizard is hit by a spell such as stone to flesh or smoky confinement, what happens to his or her familiar?
That's up to your DM, seeing as how they're responsible for everything involving all NPCs.

Flickerdart
2015-09-04, 02:02 PM
Do the spell s affect the familiar as well as the master specifically if the familiar is with in arm's reach.
No, for two reasons: only spells cast by the master can be shared, and only if the master wants them to be.

Nifft
2015-09-04, 02:05 PM
In a previous campaign, I made it so Familiars did survive their master's death, and remained intelligent magical creatures in their own right.

I had a bar in the most cosmopolitan city which catered specifically to Awakened animals and freed Familiars.

It was called, The Pint Menagerie.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-09-04, 02:09 PM
So evil wizard traps your wizard with smoky confinement, but missed her psedeodragon familiar. If the familiar got a good look at the wizard it has a chance to make it back to the rest of the party and tell them what happened.

Nift could a wizard recruit a familiar from that bar?

Nifft
2015-09-04, 02:27 PM
So evil wizard traps your wizard with smoky confinement, but missed her psedeodragon familiar. If the familiar got a good look at the wizard it has a chance to make it back to the rest of the party and tell them what happened. In my game, that's exactly what would happen.

Nift could a wizard recruit a familiar from that bar? Sure, that's possible, but it wasn't a popular option. Most Wizards preferred a "fresh" companion who lacked pre-existing loyalties and opinions.

It was more a resource for players to find out stories about Wizards and Druids who were gone from this world.

Inevitability
2015-09-05, 03:45 AM
Tome of Blood tells us what happens to familiars with a dead master; they remain alive and intelligent, but are treated as the familiar of a master two levels lower (minimum level 1). If their master is returned to life, they become full-fledged familiars again.

I made use of it in one Junkyard Wars, actually.

Thurbane
2015-09-05, 09:03 PM
They evolve into Tibbits! :smalltongue:

Yael
2015-09-05, 09:58 PM
They evolve into Tibbits! :smalltongue:

Then they become wizards with another cat familiar.