PDA

View Full Version : World Help Godless (A high arcane low divine world with tons o' ToB)

untamedchaos
2015-09-04, 02:01 PM
Ok, so . . . I've been working on and off on this world setting idea that more or less came to me about a year ago and I've only very recently begun trying to flesh out/balance for a while now.
The basic premise is that arcane magic has outstripped it's usual limits of application and divine magic has lost it's deific "oomph." There is a series of mage guilds that control the world essentially and it is the conflicts between these guilds that I expect will produce most of the meat of the adventures. The gods (and most everyone else) in ancient history fought what is now usually referred to the Old War- a war that either destroyed the Gods' or neutered them, wreaked havoc with the material plane, and forced god-worshipping clerics and paladins to lose their abilities. It is thought that the reason the war began was because of this quantum leap in arcane power, but no one can say for certain.

Before I can go any further, I think I would be remiss if I didn't at least try to explain the guilds so far. Note that while many seem inherently evil themed or at least evil-curious, such as the Blackthorne or Necromek, no guild has exclusively or even a majority of evil characters. The same is true of the "goodly" guilds like the Phoenix Magi and the Unfallen. That is not to say they don't have differences in opinion. For example, the Broken Eclipse (mostly druids) don't particularly like undead or necromancy and find it distasteful at best, doesn't mean they'll fight the Necromek over it.
Also note in terms of balance this is a higher powered campaign with a lot of special effects. I am running gestalt but mandating one "side" of gestalt is sor/wiz and I'm introducing a system where one can learn, select and cast/prepare ToB maneuvers of different disciplines (mostly homebrew) based on which guild is selected. Therefore the greatest variation in characters will be their second choice of class, their guild and whatever spells/maneuvers they choose to employ. I won't go into the mechanics too much here because that's not really what my understanding of this particular sub-forum is for.

For reference Homebrew Martial Discipline Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255468-Homebrew-Martial-Discipline-Compendium)

http://hdwpics.com/images/12E642A5C259/Witchblade.jpg

Blackthorne are pretty attached to their guild.
Blackthorne are the sneaks, the assassins, the information brokers and thieves. They have unsurpassed access to the shadow plane and many or even most of their powers involve shadows or darkness in some way. The most unique thing about this guild is that every member of the guild wears a second skin (symbiote *cough*) from the shadow plane (some say they're wearing their own shadow and what you see when you would see a shadow from them is in fact their own personal portal to the shadow plane.) Supposedly, they get their name from a giant "thorn" on the shadow plane made of the same inky material their "skin" is composed of. Most of their powers and abilities are related either to the shadow plane or related to the fact they wear a symbiote, although they are somewhat expert in poisons and assassination. I am debating giving them a fear based discipline (Stygian Nightmare by Edge) to incorporate nightmares and the shadow plane together but it might be too much of a stretch.

In terms of morality individual members are left mostly to their own discretion as long as they pay guild dues (and a share of any loot they steal with the assistance of the guild) with one caveat: once hired to perform a task the contract/service is inviolable. Not that you would be punished unreasonably should you fail, but that, as a representative of the guild, you cannot knowingly betray an agreement made and upheld in good faith. Also, probably just don't embarrass the guild.

The disciplines I currently have down for them are the following
Chthonic Serpent (by DragoonWraith) which involves the uses of whips, chain weapons and tentacles. Which seeing as how that's something the blackthorne can just extend at will fit rather well.
Setting Sun
Shadow Hand
Tenebrous Dark (originally called Mental Grip, by DaTedinator) A telekinesis flavored discipline I gave a makeover to, to make it seem more like the symbiote and symbiotic tendrils and tentacles (dipping through the shadow plane when necessary) were doing all the work. Also I added a 1st level shadowjump stance.
Viper Fang (by I_Got_This_Name) Poison and stabbing, 'nuff said.

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbseg/1158/1158449-bigthumbnail.jpg

It's hard to howl at the moon when you're standing on it.
The Broken Eclipse are a loose organization (more of a people really) of lycanthropes who, due to a great calamity during the Old War, now live on what's left of the moon. As part of an Epic Spell casting, the moon was used as a lens/focus for the energies of the elemental planes, resulting in the moon breaking into pieces and parts of the material plane (trees, mountains, wildlife, jungles, etcetera) and parts of the elemental planes merged. Now the moon is in lower orbit, and has flora and fauna. Because of the elemental bent of the moon the Broken Eclipse are the unequaled elemental masters, usually specializing in one of the four elements (air: lightning, water: cold, fire: fire, earth: magic bludgeoning.)Also because of the broken moon, it is much more difficult to shapeshift away from the moon itself, so lycanthropes no longer appear to occur in people not living on the moon itself. As a much more intense application of their powers, the Broken Eclipse can morph into an elemental version of themselves and any spell or maneuver they use while in their altered form takes on the element they are composed of.
As far as how they get along? Mostly pretty well. Their organization depends on what type of lycanthrope they are (weretigers are solitary hunters whereas werewolves run in packs or clans.) Most dispute is over territory, not usually ideological.
The disciplines I've given to them are as follows
Desert Wind (Frozen Zephyr, Shocking Sky, Crystal Storm) Krimm Blackleaf came up with variant versions of Desert Wind that used other elements, and I replaced Krimm's acid version with a magic bludgeoning type instead.
Devoted Spirit
Essence of Gaia by sirpercival For when you and your best animal friend want to maul someone together.
Tiger Claw
Wild Moon by Eiji-kun For lycanthropes, by lycanthropes.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp90/LadyDragonheart_2008/371angusHS.jpg

"Don't change the subject, young man. That was a very long time ago . . . If we could get back to the subject of your studies?"
The Dragonsaints are an order of civilized races that sometime during the old war that either helped the dragons escape extinction to their own timeless demiplane or after their flight worshipped the dragon patrons (the only living dragons anywhere) who exist only as advisors and counselors, or for someone of a more religious bent, saints. While the name implies the dragonsaints are actually dragons, they are simply imbued with draconic power. Because they live outside of time, however, the dragons' advice can often be tricky to give or follow. Their powers are mostly involved with being a dragon-like person (fire breathing, being really strong, flying etc.) I am still on the fence as to whether or not to include a time manipulation discipline (Riven Hourglass by ErrantX) to deal with their timelessness/prophecy element, if only because the guild seems pretty powerful already, but otherwise here's what I have so far.

As far as the patrons themselves go, there are only seven of them and they are not all of the same alignment or demeanor and I was thinking of basing them more or less of some of the dragon gods, e.g. Bahamut, a good silver dragon, Falazure, necromantic black, Chronepsis, temporal brass, and probably at least one eastern dragon type to mix things up. Obviously they would not all get along and every guild member has only one patron . . . well they're dragons . . . pretty much means schemes within schemes. It is rumored that the dragons stashed several eggs around the world in hopes that they can flourish again and that the only reason they haven't is they are attempting to discern through prophecy when the time is right.

Aerial Ace By Eiji-kun Focused mostly on airborne combat, which is a win.
Breath of Fire by oslecamo All about the breath weapons.
Raging Dragon by Lix Lorn Barbarian rage + energy damage type stuff.
Stone Dragon
Tiger Claw

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Cryx-Art.jpg

Who's my indestructible engine of doom? Yes, you are. Yes, you arrrrre. Necromek are the consummate minion masters, with advances in golemcraft (they totally have trains) and necromancy which allows them the unique ability to augment their own flesh and that of their minions. The necromek can craft golem armor or limbs or appendages to themselves but because of the processes involved, no living creature can survive. It is rumored that advances in just such golemcraft may have started the Old War, to which the Necromek mostly reply "So?" if they acknowledge the question at all. Because of their technocrat society, and unusual lifestyle, most are very open to new and interesting ideas and better ways of doing things. This has lead to the only prominent division in their culture- The old vampire lords, who are no fools, have adopted new body parts, enhancements and the conveniences that cheap labor (one of the greatest things about having a workforce that mostly doesn't eat or sleep) but bristle at the loss of prestige and status that came with the aristocracy that is slowly dying in Necromek holdings. As you might imagine most of their abilities involve undeath or necromantic energy. The only thing I debate is whether or not to include a discipline that enables them to emulate golem-ish abilities (Golem Heart by Eiji-kun) if only because most seem redundant.
Blood Feast by Eiji-kun For all your vampiric blood crazed enjoyment.
Restless Bones by Garryl Bone based necromantic discipline.
Shadow Hand
Undying Call by Garryl Spirit/Incorporeality Discipline
Unquiet Twilight by aotrscommander For help fighting with or against undead
White Raven

http://hdwpics.com/images/1FCAD52BCE05/Crow-God.jpg

Challenge Accepted. Ok, I know what you're thinking- "Is this the jade phoenix magi guild?" Kind of. The original idea for the phoenix magi was the same as the prestige class: they're known as phoenixes because they reincarnate. As far as their history goes, either during or right after the Old War, they somehow bound themselves to the positive energy plane. This makes them incredibly hard to kill and when you do almost impossible to keep dead. Either because of this or the original mandate of the founding members, they have appointed themselves the de facto paladins of this world, heroes for people who have been forsaken by all others. Even though the Phoenix Magi are the least populous of the guilds and have little to no centralized leadership, no guild really wants to pick a fight with them. If only because no one wants to fight someone who is not afraid to die. Remember they reincarnate so every one of them remembers thousands of battles they've fought in, making them expert combatants. They are known for being forces of nature on the battlefield and crazy brave to boot. I debate giving them something that cements a light theme in discipline form, but have yet to find a good fit. Possibly adapting ErrantX's Silver Crane into a Silver Phoenix Discipline. Also debating giving them tiger claw.
As for how morality goes the phoenixes don't self regulate too much. They have a fairly righteous goal that all agreed upon: to make the world a better place. The only contention is how best to accomplish those goals. A.K.A. the ends vs. means argument. The only time the phoenixes do step in to police their own ranks is if an individual phoenix is clearly committing evil acts and has lost his way.
Army of One by TheDementedOne Every phoenix is a thousand men with this discipline.
Diamond Mind
Iron Heart
Scarlet Bravura by TheDementedOne "It's okay, Guys! I disarmed him with my intestines!" Not kidding, "Sheathe the Blade" look it up :)

http://www.narragansett.k12.ri.us/NHS/computer/Second_Semester_07-08/second_semester-2008_period_6A/Steven_Buchanan_WoW_Site/images/before-illidan-pre.jpg
Remember, this is one of the good guys . . .
The Unfallen were the paladins and clerics who learned after the death or great weakening of the gods only allowed the most basic of divine spells to be cast. Seeking an alternate route they contact an angel who agreed to participate in a ritual that would bind him to the Unfallen and allow the Unfallen to bind demons and devils to themselves to exploit their dark power, with the powerful angel acting as a counterbalance to their evil. After doing so they have continued their old ways anew, but with some additions- All bear special tattoos to bind them from releasing the demon within, but the fiend can still whisper suggestions into the Unfallen's mind, leading them to be highly suspicious of each other and wary even of their own desires. Their powers vary depending upon what kind of demon or devil they have bound to themselves but they all project an aura that harms enemies or helps allies within a given radius. They also frequently employ profane magic(evil divine magic) and divine magic in the same combat without contradiction.
Disciplines-
Black Heron by ErrantX For those possessed I couldn't ask for better, got rid of the 3rd level stance "Walk in Shadow" though, as it stepped on Blackthorne's toes too much.
Devoted Spirit
Golden Saint by TheDementedOne Nonlethal combat man.
Smoldering Brimstone Frostfell Fury by fatal_error Throw around hellfire, or my variant, uttercold.
White Raven

http://33.media.tumblr.com/a1264fbe2bc97dcac30d92936e535d86/tumblr_inline_niauusz5Gu1r9lhsj.png
When they say you'll hear about this later, they mean it.The Wavesingers are those aquatic races that emerged as a result of an attempt to flee the Old War. They thought they could escape the ravages of the Old War and, in hindsight, they were mostly right. Although they avoided most of the ill effects that darkened the land, vey quickly they came across what is known as the Ringing Ruins. These Ruins are a series of concentric circles half a mile wide, composed of tall stone obelisks at seemingly random intervals that all emit a different tone that can be heard (depending upon the frequency) many miles away. At the center is a circle 30ft wide that is a perfect zone of silence. The silence cannot be dispelled or suppressed in any way. It is said by meditating in the center one can sometimes hear whispers. Some are sure the circles are actually a door, and attempting to decipher the sigils all over the Ruins. The Wavesingers are especially powerful with any sonic based spells or abilities, like bardic music and other effects. They can communicate across the world fairly quickly and all animals of the sea know their call. The sea itself obeys them and many guilds motivation to not mess with them, is to anyone who has paid attention to meteorology, all really bad storms start over the ocean.
As far as internal conflict, they argue over whether or not the "door" at the center of the ruins is a door at all or, if so, it should ever be opened. Other than that, they are a nation unto themselves, so politics as usual, so to speak.
Disciplines are as follows.
Lost Lyrics by Kellus Musical combat.
Ocean Soul by Fax Celestis Channel the ocean with this discipline.
Ocean Tempest by PairO'Dice Lost They say their relationships are stormy
Piercing Point by Frog Dragon For all your stabbity spear needs.
Setting Sun
Whispers of the Deep Originally Far Realm by Jack Mann. I changed nothing but the name, my players hopefully won't see this, and I don't want them to know what's on the other side of that big ol' door as I have big plans for the far realm villain(s) and I don't want them ruined because they know what the far realm is. And, by the way, if you don't catch the reference google "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Anyway, I could go farther into my world settting in terms of where are the gates to the outer planes (there are 7), continents (Lhonan, Adeuron Kitan, Mazua, Ithia, Ablaxa and the Isle Lands, and that's only if you don't count the people living on the moon. But I really wanna know what people think of my guilds as they stand, and as such I would like to thank these boards for being so much of an inspiration to me in my designs and I would greatly appreciate any critique or feedback.

Thank you very much.

sktarq
2015-09-06, 11:07 PM
okay a few things.

Firstly I don't get a real feel for the world from what you've posted. This makes it hard to say what works and what doesn't. What kind of vibe does the world have? How socially advanced? How do you deal with the fact that casters power up immensely at high levels and would either A end up puppet mastering much of the world and thus the adventures. or B shut down much of the chaos and instability that drive the need for adventurers. So yeah tone, feel, these kinds of things help.

also with the guilds. . . how are they guilds? a guild is an organization that promotes a field of business and regulates that business - regularizing prices training etc. In fantasy worlds being a arcanist would be a trade that others would pay for. The nobles, wealthy merchants, and government reps would hire the mage as a service. The guild would be regulating this trade. There groups you've created don't seem to fill that role at all. They seem like power blocks. Ask yourself how the guild itself and the various members make money. Who would they be selling their services too? And if so many people can cast spells (with the gesalt rules) wouldn't magic be worth less? And if they are political power blocks how do they relate to local authorities, justices, taxes, etc. Are they like tribes of a arcane-warrior caste that take territory and levy taxes?

Also why would a young mage pick any of these groups. In most you have a method but not a goal or a philosophy. It isn't like it has to be complex. 2-5 statements. Tribulation brings enlightenment. stagnation is a living death, through teamwork strength can be multiplied, preparation and patience is key to being able to take advantage in a crisis, survival is strength, magiciations who rise up shall be the new gods, this life is simply a preparation for the next, etc etc
From what you've given so far I couldn't have a character with a set of goals-say find a non lich immortality, avenge my village, enjoy luxuries and enchanted wenches or whatever and come up with a reason to pick one guild over the others.

also what game is this for 3.5 (by ToB reference I'm guessing) so what about Tome of Magic classes like Binders (possibly calling up the dead gods), or Shadowmages (hello blackthorn), or truenamers? plus things like Warmages, WuJen, Beguilers (PHII), Dragon Shaman (Dragonsaints?) and Spellthieves would need a second look to see how they would fit into this highly magical world and possibly how they would be part of these guilds.

That said as collections of images they are rather neat. I'm not saying this idea is unworkable just that without a frame a reference and an understanding of how these groups fit into the world they can not be fairly judged.

Vorgoth
2015-09-13, 03:21 PM
More! I like this setting