PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Need some feedback on building an unarmed combatant

Chronikoce
2015-09-04, 03:51 PM
I am meeting a new group tonight and have a few ideas for characters bouncing around. It sounds like there are some new players so I figured I would avoid playing a caster this time and I am leaning towards an unarmed combatant. Unfortunately I haven't had much experience with this and could use some feedback.

My thoughts so far

Shifter Race
1: Monk 1 -- Great Fortitude (For Fist of the Forest Later)
2: Monk 2
3: Full BaB??? -- Power Attack
4: Fighter 1 -- Superior Unarmed Strike
5: Fighter 2 -- Improved Natural Attack
6: Warshaper 1 -- Feat of some sort
7: Warshaper 2
8: Warshaper 3
9: Warshaper 4 --Snap Kick
10: Warshaper 5 or FotF 1
11: FotF 1 or Fotf 2
12: Foft 2 or Fotf 3
13: Fotf 3 or ???
14+: ???

Mostly I am looking for advice on classes, prestige classes, and feats.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-04, 04:11 PM
I feel like this concept is a bit all over the place currently. I will try to break some of this down and hopefully provide some insight in the process.

If you are building a Shifter, I typically like to see Rage/Metarage effects as the race itself combos well with that sort of combat strategy. Barbarian entry to Warshaper or even something like Unarmed Swordsage/Bloodclaw Master may be a consideration for you if you are willing to give up BAB to enter that before Warshaper. Barbarian (Bear Totem) is an alternate approach as a one level dip to pick up pounce. Warshaper is a great class and probably my favorite thing in this build. As an aside, my favorite race to qualify for it with is Tibbit (Dragon Compendium).

Avoid taking Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack if you can do anything else. They are really traps and do not significantly increase your damage output. Power attack is also rather significantly weakened by the fact that you are not two handing a weapon. I usually take Power Attack for one weapon fighters and Expertise for those wielding single hand weapons. I would suggest looking to either precision damage (sneak attack) or martial maneuvers (ToB) as a way to amp up your damage potential. Feats like Leap Attack or other ways to gain extra attacks such at TWF are also viable options.

You only need 4 BAB to get into Warshaper, so the placeholder 'Full BAB' entry on your build is really unnecessary.

The major combo I typically see for FotF is to combine it with Deepwarden (requires Dwarf) for 2x CON to AC. Building with Dex+Wis+Con to AC is rather MAD.

Chronikoce
2015-09-04, 04:43 PM
The reason for the full BaB is that I am pretty sure the game is going to start at level 6 and I would like to get Warshaper going by then.

Shifter is mostly just to get into Warshaper while still gaining a stat boost (as opposed to changeling).

Power Attack is a pre-req for Fist of the Forest so that is why it is in there. It doesn't need to be taken at that level though since I am planning to do Warshaper first.

The theme I have at the moment is to be an unarmed warrior of some sort so I like the idea of swapping in Swordsage for monk. That should make me a bit more versatile.

I know INA and SUS are not particularly powerful but other than going full shock trooper/pounce build I honestly couldn't think of any other feats that really bring a lot to the table for Unarmed Combat.

It should be noted that I am unsure of how much optimization would be frowned upon. My last group was pretty low power so a shock trooper-pounce barbarian was basically absurd OP compared to them.

razorback
2015-09-04, 05:15 PM
I'll leave this over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?50588-Frozen-Dwarf-Hulk-Smash!!!) for you to look at for some inspiration.

Chronikoce
2015-09-05, 03:26 AM
I'll leave this over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?50588-Frozen-Dwarf-Hulk-Smash!!!) for you to look at for some inspiration.

That looks interesting. I'll have to save it for later though. After meeting the group of players and learning about the DM's setting I decided to go with a Dread Necromancer this time around.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-09-05, 03:42 AM
Shifter can qualify for Warshaper due to race, but it's not capable of using any of the Warshaper class features. The Warshaper class description specifically states that none of its class features function unless you're in a form other than your own. The class gives you nothing but BAB, saves, skills, and hit points until you turn into a different creature. Shifters may be shapechangers, but you're still yourself when you use its shifting ability.

Ruethgar
2015-09-05, 11:56 AM
In that same vein, would Tibbits be able to use the Warshaper abilities only in humanoid form since they are originally cat familiars? And would Hengeyokai be able to use the abilities in hybrid and humanoid form seeing as how they too are originally animal spirits?

Chronikoce
2015-09-05, 08:40 PM
Technically wouldn't a shifter qualify when they used their daily shifter ability? If not I could always default back to changeling and that would work sufficiently for this idea if I ever play it (shelved to play a Dread Necromancer instead).

Thurbane
2015-09-05, 10:21 PM
Note: Improved Natural Attack is not a fighter bonus feat.

Lord of Lustria
2015-09-06, 02:36 PM
The reaving mauler prestige class is pretty fun from complete warrior especially combined with bear warrior from the same book. I had a barbarian/bear warrior/reaving mauler grapple monster who at level 20 had 74 strength hehehe. Also setting sun from tome of battle works well with being unarmed.

nijineko
2015-09-06, 10:48 PM
the warshaper can be made to work with some alter self, which is usually not too tough to come by.

the real damage boost to unarmed combat comes from size categories, virtual or otherwise. there's a spell for that (if you use bludgeoning damage).