PDA

View Full Version : Lumby's Alignment Article #4: Chaotic Stupid

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-10, 11:56 PM
*vague acknowledgement of time passed, and explanation of my actions*
*Link to last article (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42231)*
*General greeting*

What is the alignment?
Chaotic Stupid, the foulest of them all. Chaotic Stupid often hides behind the guise of Evil, but be not fooled; evil has nothing on Chaotic Stupid

What does the alignment consider to be most important?
Chaotic Stupid thinks of nothing more than its own pleasure, and can only derive pleasure from the pain of others.

What does the alignment hate?
Chaotic Stupid hates everything but itself, but most of all, it despises that which gives others enjoyment.

What methods will the alignment use to achieve its ends?
Chaotic Stupid will do whatever it takes to lessen the other player's enjoyment of the game. It will eat all the snacks. It will kill random plot-critical NPCs. It will hit on players of the opposite gender. It will hit on players of the same gender. Chaotic Stupid must be stamped out!

What is the alignment's best feature?
Chaotic Stupid people often scream like girls while getting beaten.

What is the alignment's worst feature?
Everything else.

What makes the alignment unique?
Chaotic Stupid is different from other Chaotic alignments because even other Chaotic people can't stand Chaotic Stupid people.

What are some common misconceptions about the alignment?
None. Every bad story you've heard about Chaotic Stupid is typical for the alignment.

What are some examples of the alignment in popular culture
1) Edited out, because a vague reference to a political figure who may or may not even be real is apparently too much for jjpickar.
2) That dude that Swordguy had arrested: Man, that was a great story.
3) Jar-Jar Binks: Most useless character of all time.

This message has been paid for by the Society for the Extermination of Stupid People.

GunMage
2007-05-11, 08:37 AM
Ah, Jar-Jar Binks. Only character ever to be apologized for by the director.

Sadly, I've gamed with people like this.
One of them was the gm for a whfrp game. That did not end well, but here are the highlights:Having a zealot throw one of the party membersinto a door which our rogue was trying to pick, knocking everyone but himself off the bridge we were standing on.

Having a swarm of rats bite off the elf's ears.

Being sexually assaulted by skaven.

See also:favoratism.

MeanJoeSmith75
2007-05-11, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately CS is all to common. The only way to combat it is for GMs to mercilessly eradicate any CS characters that appear. You must do it quickly or they can infect other players. For those unfortunate enough to have CS GMs, god have mercy on your soul. Brave it out until you can find a new one or stage a revolt...lock up his manuals and munchkinize until he gets the message.

Nahal
2007-05-11, 09:30 AM
Wishing their character out of existence in-game is a not-so-subtle but somewhat effective method of showing your disgust. If you do not have access to such magic, the cleric can pray for divine intervention daily. Beating him savagely and stealing all his belongings may also be effective, though if done OOC this can have unfortunate consequences.

If you're not into such passive-aggressive behaviour, simply ask them to start playing smarter or leave. But remember; if you make it so they don't enjoy playing their character anymore than you enjoy it, they might just decide to be an idiot somewhere else. I can personally attest to the potential success of this theory.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-11, 09:42 AM
Next time try Neutral Overpowered
They don't really roleplay, and when pressed they'll give you some "really badass" character concept (which seems to be a loose combination of H.R. Gieger and Dragonball Z), but in reality they're just a Polymorph using wizard with three Savage Species templates; watch him destroy every encounter while everyone else gets to watch.

Or Obnoxious Evil
Apparently Evil doesn't just mean selfish or power-hungry, it means needlessly murdering every single NPC and stealing from the party just to continually remind everyone that "yes, you are evil."

Or Omnipotent Evil
"Geez, a well-played third level party should be able to kill a Mind Flayer. I didn't even use his 5 sorcerer levels!"

Machete
2007-05-11, 10:10 AM
1) A certain political figure currently leading a major nation: You know who I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure he is neutral deedeedee. Don't pin this one on us Chaotics.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-11, 02:04 PM
Chaotic Stupid DM. I had one...

Indon
2007-05-11, 03:02 PM
Ah, yes. I know of this alignment far too well. I hope I never have to play against it (you can't ever play _with_ CS) again.

Nahal
2007-05-11, 04:47 PM
Ah, yes. I know of this alignment far too well. I hope I never have to play against it (you can't ever play _with_ CS) again.

QFT. I've had more than one CS player in my group over the past few years, and no small portion of our efforts went into keeping said players in check or dealing with messes they created.

Caelestion
2007-05-11, 05:39 PM
It's usually the Chaotic Stupid people that want to play evil simply because it would be fun.

This is also the general alignment of PKers of all stripes - the bane of any online game, where people randomly kill other people simply because they feel like it and somehow it's your fault that they are both bored and 50 levels higher than you.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-05-11, 07:04 PM
It's usually the Chaotic Stupid people that want to play evil simply because it would be fun.

This is also the general alignment of PKers of all stripes - the bane of any online game, where people randomly kill other people simply because they feel like it and somehow it's your fault that they are both bored and 50 levels higher than you.

Hey, hey, I'm a PKer when I play MMOs! But I have specific targets... botters, exploiters (even when allowed by the rules), and complete morons of a level near my own (level matters not for the first two.) So, I guess I'm not a normal PKer.

Anyway, I've dealt with these people too... not so much in a role-playing environment, but I've seen their kind in MMOs and, believe it or not, on forums, and... argh, I wish I could FedEx a cinderblock to their face.

Being sexually assaulted by skaven.

I just looked skaven up in Wikipedia... if they're what I saw there, I... ugh. I just ate, dammit.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-05-12, 04:12 AM
1) A certain political figure currently leading a major nation: You know who I'm talking about.
Heh heh. That one never gets old. Seriously, they were using it over a hundred years ago. And it's still topical!

Duke Malagigi
2007-05-12, 04:58 PM
What are some examples of the alignment in popular culture[/B]

Actually, I see him more as an incredibly destructive Lawful Stupid.

Stephen_E
2007-05-12, 05:36 PM

What story was this? Sounds interesting.

I've played a character that could be described as partially CS, but in defense he had a Wis of 3 and a Char of 6, as well as a number of flaws such as compulsively honest (actually he had so many flaws that I struggled to find merits I liked/were appropriate to balance them). But I think that I roleplayed him correctedly.

Stephen

Luircin
2007-05-12, 06:34 PM
Actually, I see him more as an incredibly destructive Lawful Stupid.

I am under the impression that political discussion is taboo on these forums.

TheElfLord
2007-05-12, 06:43 PM
*What are some examples of the alignment in popular culture
3) Jar-Jar Binks: Most useless character of all time.

I disagree. I don't know who the first post is commenting on, but the last two are not Chaotic stupid, Jar-Jar especally. Jar-Jar is neutral good with an extremly low int score. He doesn't seek to destroy the game or enter into stupid actions just cause it will be fun. He avoids danger. He never tries to harm his teamates. He is a good person. He has friends and cares about them. Now I know evil people can care about their friends too, but not chaotic stupid people.

Jar-Jar may be annoying, but that doesn't make him chaotic stupid.

Yogi
2007-05-12, 07:10 PM
I always thought Mugen from Samurai Champloo was Chaotic Stupid.

DamienLunas
2007-05-12, 07:57 PM
In the interest of lurking less, here is my chaotic stupid story, set in a Play-By-Post website.

His character's background didn't make him sound that bad, but he didn't fill out his alignment at the beginning. He turned out to be chaotic evil. We were playing a D20 Fullmetal Alchemist game set in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. We were all soldiers except for me who was a State Alchemist, and therefore Major. He then proceeded to poison a random person in the tavern we were in secretly, and accuse everyone of it and them being terrorists. He kept hassling the bar patrons even when I told him to stop, and then we were told to leave by the bartender. But not before he planted poison on the bartender, pointed his repeating crossbow at him, and threatened him to the point where he I had to color spray him in the eyes as bartender tried to attack us with a bat. Someone else went before me, and Critted him in the arm, putting him at -5. Luckily I managed to have him stabalized. But as I color sprayed him, he did something he shouldn't have been able to do, which was talk by yelling out that there was poison inside his pocket. We looked inside, found the stuff he planted, and he's all I told you so. Then he tried to accuse more people, threatning them and harassing them. Luckily though, I managed to figure out it was him when I asked him what the poison did, and he lied saying he didn't know what it did because he carries a lot of poison. A stupid mistake, as we ALL saw the guy have a seizure and collapse. A few sense motive rolls were made, yada yada yada, long story short, he's being dragged back to central in a hunk of wood carried by someone who left the game abruptly without saying anything. And now my Dense Cloud Alchemist is in trouble with Central for not being able to control my subordinates.

P.S. You have a link to your second article, not your third.

Luircin
2007-05-13, 07:49 PM
In the interest of lurking less, here is my chaotic stupid story, set in a Play-By-Post website.

--Character story here--

P.S. You have a link to your second article, not your third.

I get the feeling that I know this person...

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-13, 08:28 PM
I get the feeling that I know this person...
It's Koga, who was described in depth on the article "What's this guys alignment?"

jjpickar
2007-05-13, 09:06 PM
1) A certain political figure currently leading a major nation.

You have no idea how sad and somewhat angry this makes me feel. Please leave politics out of this forum. Its the only one that outright bans it and I like it that way.

Setra
2007-05-13, 09:32 PM
What is the alignment's best feature?
Chaotic Stupid people often scream like girls while getting beaten.
You are made of win.

ChildOfLuna
2007-05-13, 09:41 PM
I was in an evil game once.

Another player just randomly attacked me, so I of course retaliated.
My attack hit by one point, and instantly killed him. Or so I thought.

As soon as this deadly blow hits, he "reveals" he is a Tiefling. This +2 Dex causes him to dodge the attack.

Next turn, he reveals he is really another race, to boost his Strength score. I left the game immediately at that point.

Hell, I stopped playing D&D after that point. It was like... stupidity to an unimaginable magnitude. Luckily, there are much better systems in the world; and I actually thank this Chaotic Stupid for opening my eyes to them.

Quietus
2007-05-13, 10:16 PM
I was in an evil game once.

Another player just randomly attacked me, so I of course retaliated.
My attack hit by one point, and instantly killed him. Or so I thought.

As soon as this deadly blow hits, he "reveals" he is a Tiefling. This +2 Dex causes him to dodge the attack.

Next turn, he reveals he is really another race, to boost his Strength score. I left the game immediately at that point.

Hell, I stopped playing D&D after that point. It was like... stupidity to an unimaginable magnitude. Luckily, there are much better systems in the world; and I actually thank this Chaotic Stupid for opening my eyes to them.

Please don't blame the game for lousy players.

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-13, 10:28 PM
The DM also has to be held responsible for that one... if you can't keep track of your character's races to the point that they change on a turn by turn basis, you really aren't up to the task.

DamienLunas
2007-05-13, 10:44 PM
It's Koga, who was described in depth on the article "What's this guys alignment?"

The character's name or his screenname? Because his character had a different name.

Quietus
2007-05-13, 10:47 PM
The DM also has to be held responsible for that one... if you can't keep track of your character's races to the point that they change on a turn by turn basis, you really aren't up to the task.

I thought about that after posting... ah well. Bit tired, I blame that. =P

Aethir
2007-05-13, 10:49 PM
Why does the link to the last article take me to article two if this is four?

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-13, 11:34 PM
Why does the link to the last article take me to article two if this is four?

Because when I tried to fix it earlier, search wasn't working, and I was too lazy to go back and do a manual search. Fixing now...

EDIT:
You have no idea how sad and somewhat angry this makes me feel. Please leave politics out of this forum. Its the only one that outright bans it and I like it that way.

Fixed it for you. :D

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-14, 12:05 AM
The character's name or his screenname? Because his character had a different name.
It was the same for both.

Matthew
2007-05-28, 06:37 PM
Yeah, that does sound a lot like Koga's Nazi Character.

Thrawn183
2007-05-28, 10:17 PM
Is CS chaotic neutral, chaotic evil or just all chaotic that is played... well... horrifically? (ie. the alignment with a stick up everyone else's but)

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-28, 10:28 PM
Is CS chaotic neutral, chaotic evil or just all chaotic that is played... well... horrifically? (ie. the alignment with a stick up everyone else's but)
Chaotic Stupid is so named for its effects, not its intentions. A character that claims to be Lawful Good can still be Chaotic Stupid.

Esper_Manny
2007-05-29, 02:04 PM
In the defense of The Koga who i had a talk with in several PMs, I can safely say he is not a Nazi. Nazi's were basically white supremacy army with racial hatred towards jews and Homosexuals, anyone they can attack who is diffrent. Hitler basically used the Racial Superiority card to boost self confidence into his would be troops so to boost said hatred. The Koga isnt a racist, i think it's backwards. He respects people who are Strong of Mind and strong of body who are not cowards.Sure he has a few people he hates but that is only secondary which is pretty mild. Ive seen hatred in many forms, even in real life which has been harsh.Normally i should not be defending a person who is generally evil, since i am Neutral good, But i dont want people to call him names like chaotically stupid, it's insulting to him. Just get to know him before calling him names.