PDA

View Full Version : Does Elan have a last name?

Italian Hippy
2015-09-04, 05:56 PM
It's something that's been bugging me quite a bit lately. A coworker of mine said I was a walking OOTS Encyclopedia, yet I cannot remember one time when Elan's (or Nale's, or Tarquin's) last name was mentioned. We have Roy Greenhilt, Haley Starshine, Belkar Bitterleaf, Durkon Thundershield... the only exception is V, but elves have consistently not had a last name in the comic (Inkyrius, Aarindarius), while Elan is an "exception", a human whose last name we don't know.

Despite being a few more (Hinjo, Shojo, Tsukiko, O-Chul) not having a last name, Elan is the only protagonist to break the convention. I am really curious about this.

Cizak
2015-09-04, 06:03 PM
Not that we know of. Rich's words on the matter is: "If it's important and I haven't revealed it thus far, then obviously it will have some form of significance in the story and I would have no reason to tell you now. And if it's not important, then it's not important. Not all the i's need to be dotted nor the t's crossed." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19159599&postcount=20)

Zmeoaice
2015-09-04, 08:48 PM
His last name is 'Mother', evidence is that his mother's name is Elan's Mother, and it is likely he took her last name.

Aniuś Talewise
2015-09-04, 08:57 PM
I have the feeling that the last name(s) of Elan, Nale and Tarquin is itself a plot twist that makes them part of a family including some legendary character already mentioned and that's why Rich hasn't revealed it yet.

Maybe they're related to Dorukan? But seeing as it's my first guess, it's also the most obvious and thus not likely.

Also that's a very handsome avatar you have there ;D

martianmister
2015-09-04, 09:05 PM
The Bard is their surname.

Darth Paul
2015-09-04, 09:35 PM
Speculating: His last name is Tarquinsson (following Viking-style naming conventions), but his mother went back to her maiden name after the divorce.

If the first part is true, then the second part must also be; otherwise, even Elan couldn't miss the size of the hint being dropped when meeting General Tarquin for the first time.

I'm now picturing the scene... :elan: "Your name is Tarquin? Gee, what a coincidence. My last name is Tarquinsson. Small world, huh?"

Nale would have dropped the name out of hatred.

Lissou
2015-09-04, 09:39 PM
His last name is obviously "Redcloak's niece".

Grey Watcher
2015-09-04, 09:48 PM
I'm going with McTarquinson. :smallbiggrin:

Gift Jeraff
2015-09-04, 09:54 PM
His last name is 'Mother', evidence is that his mother's name is Elan's Mother, and it is likely he took her last name.

That's actually her first name. In RPG settings, "-'s Mother" is a more common suffix in female names than "-ina".

ti'esar
2015-09-04, 10:10 PM
I have the feeling that the last name(s) of Elan, Nale and Tarquin is itself a plot twist that makes them part of a family including some legendary character already mentioned and that's why Rich hasn't revealed it yet.

Maybe they're related to Dorukan? But seeing as it's my first guess, it's also the most obvious and thus not likely.

Also that's a very handsome avatar you have there ;D

Funnily enough, Dorukan doesn't seem to have a last name either.

Porthos
2015-09-04, 10:19 PM
Every time I see this thread title I keep wanting to say:

My bard has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R.

Man, I'm old. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

Aniuś Talewise
2015-09-04, 10:58 PM
Speculating: His last name is Tarquinsson (following Viking-style naming conventions), but his mother went back to her maiden name after the divorce.

If the first part is true, then the second part must also be; otherwise, even Elan couldn't miss the size of the hint being dropped when meeting General Tarquin for the first time.

I'm now picturing the scene... :elan: "Your name is Tarquin? Gee, what a coincidence. My last name is Tarquinsson. Small world, huh?"

Nale would have dropped the name out of hatred.
Nitpicky Obsessed Viking voice: Spouses don't take the patronyms of their spouse, that would kind of defeat the definition of a patronym. Instead they just keep their own patronym.

EDIT: wait I am confused are you implying that his mother took 'Tarquinsson' as her name and changed it back to whatever it was after the divorce? That would defeat the definition of a patronym.

EDIT: Then again these are the same parents who decided to name their identical twin kids anagrams.

facw
2015-09-04, 11:19 PM
EDIT: wait I am confused are you implying that his mother took 'Tarquinsson' as her name and changed it back to whatever it was after the divorce? That would defeat the definition of a patronym.

I interpreted that as saying that she changed Elan's last name to her surname after the divorce, rather than changing her name.

LuisDantas
2015-09-04, 11:32 PM
My money is on that it is indeed not important, except to the extent that by virtue of not mentioning their surnames, Elan and Nale denied us the dubious opportunity to obsess on the surnames of other characters.

Elan turned out to have a filiation plot, that was resolved in the last published book. His lack of known surname is not an exception to a rule because there is no rule. It just happened that way.

SaintRidley
2015-09-04, 11:41 PM
O'MacTarquiningson

Murk
2015-09-05, 12:49 AM
You could also change the perspective on the question. Don't ask "Why doesn't Elan has a last name?" but ask "Why do the others?"

OoTS world has at least a partly medieval/pre-modern setting - it would be logical for all the disposable foul peasants not to have last names. So why does most of the Order?

For Roy, it's simple. He's part of a long legacy of fighters, and is named after his sword. It's almost more an easy nickname than an official name. Imagine two citizens in need of a fighter (maybe some of his family were mercenaries?) saying: "Eh, we can ask the Green Hilt guy."

Durkon could make sense too. Again, long legacy of soldiers, and again named after a specific weapon. "Wait, which soldier do I need to clean out the latrines?" - "The soldier with the thunder shield."

Starshine, then, is clearly a pseudonym. I mean, it doesn't really make sense as a last name, and it's too cool and shiny. With a family of thiefs, one of them (maybe even Ivan) taking on such a fancy street name would seem understandable.

Vaarsuvius has no last name, neither does Elan. That's OK: they're just peasants without swords, so why would they need a last name?

But that leaves us Belkar. Bitterleaf. That doesn't sound like a descriptive last name. What does it describe? As far as I know, only nobles could afford non-descriptive last names. Something to show you're part of a long and noble heritage.

Meaning you are all wrong about the speculation: no, Elan's possible last name won't be important. It's completely natural that he doesn't have one. However, Belkars last name will be. Why does he have one??? Who does he descend from???

Maybe he's secretly a king.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-05, 02:19 AM
It's Icalicus.

Reddish Mage
2015-09-05, 11:20 AM
You could also change the perspective on the question. Don't ask "Why doesn't Elan has a last name?" but ask "Why do the others?"

OoTS world has at least a partly medieval/pre-modern setting - it would be logical for all the disposable foul peasants not to have last names. So why does most of the Order?

Vaarsuvius has no last name, neither does Elan. That's OK: they're just peasants without swords, so why would they need a last name?

I am amazed how often people bring up obscure nerdy stuff in the forums about how alien a medieval fantasy can get that are rarely or never brought into an actual D&D game and there is zero evidence that Rich is doing for Stickverse.

"Peasants are disposable, considered "lesser humans" and don't have last names" is right up there with Sabine being a uncaring succubus incapable of love or intimacy, human to human racism being universal, or black dragons always being evil.

Not only is there no evidence for it...everything we've seen in the comic suggests that the world is built with the opposite intent in mind,

hroþila
2015-09-05, 11:38 AM
O'MacTarquiningson
O'MacTarquiningsonovichez.

wumpus
2015-09-05, 11:47 AM
Not only is there no evidence for it...everything we've seen in the comic suggests that the world is built with the opposite intent in mind,

??? The world was built explicitly [by the in-universe gods] with those things in mind. The whole plot centers around the greenskins and their god resenting their status of being explicitly created as "little bags of xp for PCs to scoop up" (note that it doesn't work quite that way, but that's how they were created). While Rich may have specifically created the comic to send such things up, he lets the universe [often] follow the conventions in order to send them up.

A counterpoint would be Diago and Kazumi. In strip 501 Diago says "we're using Kazumi's surname (Kato) and leaving mine in reserve". Presumably all [human] characters *have* full names, but they only *count* if they are used in print.

Peelee
2015-09-05, 12:40 PM

DAMMIT, MAN. I came in here to make that joke!

Mike Havran
2015-09-05, 02:31 PM
If there is something like that in the OotS-verse, then Tarquin is actually a last name. Even hardened foes like Ian (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html) and Amun-Zora (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html) use Tarquin as an identifier.

So, Elan Tarquin it would be.

SaintRidley
2015-09-05, 02:39 PM
O'MacTarquiningsonovichez.

Elan b. ap O'Fitzmactarquiningsonovichezpoorsz

This is a fun game.

Murk
2015-09-05, 02:49 PM
I am amazed how often people bring up obscure nerdy stuff in the forums about how alien a medieval fantasy can get that are rarely or never brought into an actual D&D game and there is zero evidence that Rich is doing for Stickverse.

"Peasants are disposable, considered "lesser humans" and don't have last names" is right up there with Sabine being a uncaring succubus incapable of love or intimacy, human to human racism being universal, or black dragons always being evil.

Eh, my post wasn't entirely serious (I do not think Belkar is royalty. Sorry), but since this was a response with serious intent, I'll try to give it a serious response too.

We're talking about last names here. Some characters have them. Some don't. You are right: we have no reason to assume any form of structure concerning the names of characters. We know last names exist, but who has them? Why?
The obvious reason would be that the Giant gives characters names that sound cool.

But that's not what the OP was about. The OP wanted reasoning. Maybe even some logic.
Now, as you point out, there is no evidence of anything related to last names in the comic. This makes finding structure pretty hard. Then there's two things you can do: either you think of your own structure, based on other social/cultural structures in the comic ("Only adventurers have last names" or "Once people get their Cool Certificate, they get a Cool Name"), or you simply borrow a structure from some other setting. I could have borrowed a name structure from an obscure fantasy book somewhere, but "earth history" is a little more known, so it was better suited for the kind of reply I wanted.

That's all. No assumptions about peasants, their moral obligations, racism or whatever other icky stuff you can think of.

Though, to be honest, I don't think there actually exist peasants in OoTS world. There's nobility in Azure City, but they don't really seem to have a lower class. The closest thing to low, disposable peasants are the two dirt farmers. They were pretty disposable. And low. So that should sat something :smalltongue:

archon_huskie
2015-09-05, 03:50 PM
One of the clickbait ads for Ancestry.com suggests that there's a few different kinds of last names. You might have seen it online somewhere.

Last names could refer to:
Parentage - like Thor Odinson = Thor the son of Odin. Less common would be Thor Friggason = Thor the son of Frigga, but it does exist.

Home town origin. - Uses the city name for a last name. My wife's father did this when he immigrated from India. India doesn't use last names. Or if they live on a hill it might be James Hill = James from the Hill.

Noble's last name - Either the Noble's ancestral name or the name of someone serfed to that noble. I was excited when I learned that there's a noble family from Pomerania Germany that shares my last name. On their coat of arms there is a crab because their lands where by the sea and that was their major industry.

Something distinctive - Apparently there's such a thing as being crab legged where the hips are deformed and the person walks with their legs far apart. So I'm either related to a noble or a deformed hip man . . .

Occupation - Smith, Thatcher, Gardener. Guess what their ancestors did for a living.

So Elan the Bard, Bard could in fact be his last name!

Peelee
2015-09-05, 04:00 PM
One of the clickbait ads for Ancestry.com suggests that there's a few different kinds of last names. You might have seen it online somewhere.

Last names could refer to:
Parentage - like Thor Odinson = Thor the son of Odin. Less common would be Thor Friggason = Thor the son of Frigga, but it does exist.

Home town origin. - Uses the city name for a last name. My wife's father did this when he immigrated from India. India doesn't use last names. Or if they live on a hill it might be James Hill = James from the Hill.

Noble's last name - Either the Noble's ancestral name or the name of someone serfed to that noble. I was excited when I learned that there's a noble family from Pomerania Germany that shares my last name. On their coat of arms there is a crab because their lands where by the sea and that was their major industry.

Something distinctive - Apparently there's such a thing as being crab legged where the hips are deformed and the person walks with their legs far apart. So I'm either related to a noble or a deformed hip man . . .

Occupation - Smith, Thatcher, Gardener. Guess what their ancestors did for a living.

So Elan the Bard, Bard could in fact be his last name!

HIPPA prevents me from naming the specific name, but we have a guy whose ancestors came to Ellis Island. Their name was wonky, so the people at Ellis Island - with their normal sense of cultural sensitivity - said, "well, screw that. I'ma dumb it down. This is your name now." The new name sounds like a craptastic food item and basically amounts to something absolutely hilarious, akin to "Funion" or "Fauxtmeal." Greatest name I ever heard, and I'm never allowed to say it.

I know this because I specifically asked how they got that name. Wife was really good natured about it, too. I'm positive my wife would not have taken my last name if it had been that.

Whole thing is made even better by having another guy with almost the same name, but it is the actual name of the food. So essentially, we have a "Mr. Onion and Mr. Funion" type deal going on. It's amazing.

Reddish Mage
2015-09-05, 05:04 PM
Eh, my post wasn't entirely serious (I do not think Belkar is royalty. Sorry), but since this was a response with serious intent, I'll try to give it a serious response too.

We're talking about last names here. Some characters have them. Some don't. You are right: we have no reason to assume any form of structure concerning the names of characters. We know last names exist, but who has them? Why?
The obvious reason would be that the Giant gives characters names that sound cool.

But that's not what the OP was about. The OP wanted reasoning. Maybe even some logic.
Now, as you point out, there is no evidence of anything related to last names in the comic. This makes finding structure pretty hard. Then there's two things you can do: either you think of your own structure, based on other social/cultural structures in the comic ("Only adventurers have last names" or "Once people get their Cool Certificate, they get a Cool Name"), or you simply borrow a structure from some other setting.

That's all. No assumptions about peasants, their moral obligations, racism or whatever other icky stuff you can think of.

So...minus the stuff about peasants being disposable, the suggestion still amounts to suggesting that having a last name or not depends on character origin by their social background, with some of the characters having some sort of special origin from warriors or nobility.

The problem is, as you just said, there is no rhyme or reason behind who has a surname and who doesn't. Hinjo, O'chul, Shojo, and numerous other characters don't have last names, while some characters from obviously humble background do. Any serious suggestion of who has a surname in stickverse should be based on evidence from the text, not historical conventions (or myths) that obviously have no bearing on the comic...

And I was just giving a list of serious-sounding suggestions people made regarding how the comic supposedly actually was intended to be read that was obviously off-base. Such as reading Sabine as a loveless devourer of men's souls, including Nale's, despite several situations that loudly proclaimed that her love for him was real and bent towards the evil end of the spectrum. Or drawing evidence from the monster manual that ABD obviously was upset about her treasure hoard (btw there's also evidence that dragons abandon about their young, and that hatchling dragons are essentially smallish adult dragons but that's another thing).

I think, if we took every single character, the likelihood is that more important characters (to the story) are more likely to have a last name, but it is a weak correlation. We also know that just because a surname isn't mentioned doesn't mean someone doesn't have one (notice the Oracle doesn't even have A name nor do the dragons).

DeliaP
2015-09-05, 05:11 PM
O'Saurus.

(Sorry!)

Pyron
2015-09-05, 07:42 PM
His last name is Greenhilt, because he sees Roy as a brother.

Darth Paul
2015-09-05, 09:01 PM
*snip*

EDIT: Then again these are the same parents who decided to name their identical twin kids anagrams.

I interpreted that as saying that she changed Elan's last name to her surname after the divorce, rather than changing her name.

Yes, facw's thing. I didn't put that well, but I was tired. Just like I didn't put this well.

"Explanation." That's the thing I mean.

It's actually never been clear whether "Tarquin" is a first or a last name; Elan's (and his mom's) last name could just as easily have been Tarquin, if that were a surname. That would make my "maiden name" theory a lot more sensible.

Next question: What is Tarquin's first name? It's "Lane".

Synesthesy
2015-09-06, 06:05 AM
I have always seen that as a sign of realism in the setting. Not all cultures use last name in reality, why would all culture in a fictional world do?

And, actually, a lot of character doesn't have a full name. Elan (with Nale and Tarquin), V (and probably his/her mate), Malack, Thog, all the kobold, Zz'dtri, Pompey, all the goblins, Hinjo, O-chul...

Lissou
2015-09-06, 07:03 AM
Yes, facw's thing. I didn't put that well, but I was tired. Just like I didn't put this well.

"Explanation." That's the thing I mean.

It's actually never been clear whether "Tarquin" is a first or a last name; Elan's (and his mom's) last name could just as easily have been Tarquin, if that were a surname. That would make my "maiden name" theory a lot more sensible.

Pff, no, it's obviously Neal

Gift Jeraff
2015-09-06, 09:56 AM
It's Alen.

Shoelessgdowar
2015-09-06, 10:23 AM
HIPPA prevents me from naming the specific name, but we have a guy whose ancestors came to Ellis Island. Their name was wonky, so the people at Ellis Island - with their normal sense of cultural sensitivity - said, "well, screw that. I'ma dumb it down. This is your name now." The new name sounds like a craptastic food item and basically amounts to something absolutely hilarious, akin to "Funion" or "Fauxtmeal." Greatest name I ever heard, and I'm never allowed to say it.

I know this because I specifically asked how they got that name. Wife was really good natured about it, too. I'm positive my wife would not have taken my last name if it had been that.

Whole thing is made even better by having another guy with almost the same name, but it is the actual name of the food. So essentially, we have a "Mr. Onion and Mr. Funion" type deal going on. It's amazing.

Okay, this is both allegedly a true story, and a joke.

An elderly man of Eastern European Jewish Heritage was immigrating to the United States. His relatives had sent him the 'new' aglainized family name for him to tell the immigration people on Ellis island. He practiced and memorized it for the entire ship ride, so he could say it clearly and distinctly. After waiting in line for hours, after disembarking, when he was asked his name, he explains in shock, "Ich fergessen" (I forgot, in Yiddish). The immigration people wrote down Ike Ferguson, which isvwhere this would end as a joke, but allegedly it is a trye story, and supposedly the man was stuck veing Ike Ferguson.

This is a fun game.

O'Alenfitzmactarquinsonovichpatrickezpoorzsteinhol dtzinghamshirebergsilversmithhouse

I totally agree, real fun game

Kurald Galain
2015-09-06, 10:55 AM
Oh, right. I just remembered that Tarquin's last name, of course, is Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Night_Special). So that would be Elan's last name as well.

The reason why Nale was so angry at Tarquin is because Nale wanted to change his last name, and his father wouldn't let him.

hroþila
2015-09-06, 11:16 AM
O'Alenfitzmactarquinsonovichpatrickezpoorzsteinhol dtzinghamshirebergsilversmithhouse

I totally agree, real fun game
But those aren't patronyms. OMG L2P

SaintRidley
2015-09-06, 05:58 PM
Yup. Patronymic prefixes, suffixes, and particles only. That was like trying to score a touchdown by fouling the goalie with your horse.

DeliaP
2015-09-06, 06:18 PM
That was like trying to score a touchdown by fouling the goalie with your horse.

Ok, I award you an internet for the awesome mixedness of tha simile.....

ORione
2015-09-06, 06:31 PM
Tarquin could be saving his surname for an emergency, like Daigo. That seems like the sort of thing he would do.

Since Elan grew up without his father, maybe he has a matronym. That would make his name Elan Elan'smomson.

SaintRidley
2015-09-06, 07:58 PM
Tarquin could be saving his surname for an emergency, like Daigo. That seems like the sort of thing he would do.

Since Elan grew up without his father, maybe he has a matronym. That would make his name Elan Elan'smomson.

Elan b. ap O'FitzmacElan'smomingsonovichezpoorsz

skim172
2015-09-06, 08:51 PM
Elan may simply come from a culture without surnames. Though the practice of "given name - family name" has become predominant in much of the world, mononyms or single names are common in many communities. Many Indonesians have only one name, and it's not unusual in much of South Asia. Afghans generally use mononyms. Turkey didn't introduce family names until the 20th century and Iceland only has patronyms - in both cultures, it is far more prevalent to refer to someone by their given name, even in formal situations.

However, this is all irrelevant, because Elan is actually Portuguese - and his real name is Estevao Lobo Ávila Noronha - his first name, and two surnames, one of which is composite surname. "ELAN" is just an acronym.

Of course, that's the short version. His full family name is Estevao Lobo Ávila Noronha Barbosa Assunção Neves José Oliveira.

But "Elan" will do. :smallbiggrin:

littlebum2002
2015-09-07, 12:35 AM

My thoughts EXACTLY

Darth Paul
2015-09-07, 12:39 AM
Oh, right. I just remembered that Tarquin's last name, of course, is Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Night_Special).

If we have an Election Night Special for the winner of this thread, you get my vote. Even if that throws the result to the Silly Party here in Luton.

The Pilgrim
2015-09-07, 06:45 AM
Elan's last name is "Ifnkovhgroghprm"

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-08, 03:44 AM
Scoundrél

His mother just hasn't told him yet.

He and Nale are identical half-twins.

Darth Paul
2015-09-08, 12:25 PM
Scoundrél

His mother just hasn't told him yet.

He and Nale are identical half-twins.

BRILLIANT!!!

This would also explain the picture she kept hidden. In a less naughty way. But it wouldn't explain why they both look just like Tarquin... unless Tarquin and Julio are brothers...

F.Harr
2015-09-09, 07:03 PM
Mosby?

Harr?

Harper?

His town was too small to have surnames?

zimmerwald1915
2015-09-09, 07:16 PM
Okay, this is both allegedly a true story, and a joke.

An elderly man of Eastern European Jewish Heritage was immigrating to the United States. His relatives had sent him the 'new' aglainized family name for him to tell the immigration people on Ellis island. He practiced and memorized it for the entire ship ride, so he could say it clearly and distinctly. After waiting in line for hours, after disembarking, when he was asked his name, he explains in shock, "Ich fergessen" (I forgot, in Yiddish). The immigration people wrote down Ike Ferguson, which isvwhere this would end as a joke, but allegedly it is a trye story, and supposedly the man was stuck veing Ike Ferguson.
A friend of mine tells this story about his family, (though it goes "sheyn fergessen" in his version, which becomes Sean Ferguson) and he always ends by saying it's apocryphal.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-11, 07:05 AM
If there is something like that in the OotS-verse, then Tarquin is actually a last name. Even hardened foes like Ian (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0814.html) and Amun-Zora (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html) use Tarquin as an identifier.

So, Elan Tarquin it would be.

This is what I was gonna say.

Now, this leaves a new mystery...what's Tarquin's given name?

Probably something really anti-climactic, like Dave, which is why he goes by the much more imposing General Tarquin all the time.

EDIT:

Pff, no, it's obviously Neal

It's Alen.

I'm gonna go with Anel, since no one else said it. It'd be a perfect fit for that guy, too.

Lissou
2015-09-11, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna go with Anel, since no one else said it. It'd be a perfect fit for that guy, too.

But Anel is their neutral triplet!

littlebum2002
2015-09-11, 04:33 PM
Probably something really anti-climactic, like Dave, which is why he goes by the much more imposing General Tarquin all the time.

Maybe he's the Boy named Sue

Darth Paul
2015-09-11, 07:03 PM

The pronunciation, maybe, but not the spelling, if you know what I mean (and I think this was your intent).

DaOldeWolf
2015-09-11, 08:01 PM
The twins are named
:elan: Elan Elan
:nale: Nale Elan

Which should explain while Nale is so angry. Hope someone gets the reference. Please don't hit me. :smalltongue:

zimmerwald1915
2015-09-11, 08:08 PM
The twins are named

Which should explain while Nale is so angry. Hope someone gets the reference. Please don't hit me. :smalltongue:
Huh? Luigi isn't angry. Most of the time.

Yendor
2015-09-11, 09:41 PM
Very near the end of the comic, it will be revealed that Elan's last name is:
Starshine.

Because he took it when he married Haley.

Haven
2015-09-11, 10:10 PM
I always assumed Elan's last name was originally going to be "Tyrinar", but at some point the details of that plot line changed and now he's just "the Bard".

Very near the end of the comic, it will be revealed that Elan's last name is:
Starshine.

Because he took it when he married Haley.

Aww.

littlebum2002
2015-09-11, 11:48 PM
He's saving it in case of emergency

ti'esar
2015-09-12, 01:58 AM
I always assumed Elan's last name was originally going to be "Tyrinar", but at some point the details of that plot line changed and now he's just "the Bard".

You know, looking at the BRitF commentary, this might actually be the case. The Giant does say that the original plan was for Elan's warlord father to be the open ruler of Tyrinaria, hence the "T" on his flags even way back in comic 50.

Trillium
2015-09-14, 07:13 AM
Burlew.

Obviously, Elan, as the only character who has guaranteed happy ending, is the only character who is guaranteed to survive 'till the end.
OOTS is just what Elan is telling his children - or maybe even grandchildren - when they ask him about his adventuring past. I suspect he may even remark on how "rich" his life was made by knowing other members of the Order.

As such, Elan is Rich's own self-ironic self-insert. A storyteller, who only cares about cool story at first, but in the process matures and starts caring about repercussions of said story more (much like Rich moving away from jokes and sexist insults towards a deeper story with some morals).

Deprox
2015-09-14, 07:27 AM

Anel means "ring" in portuguese and Tarquin has a Ring of True Seeing! Mystery solved.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-14, 08:25 AM
The pronunciation, maybe, but not the spelling, if you know what I mean (and I think this was your intent).

Yes, that was my intent. General Tarquin's got some serious problems with anything he can't control.

ben-zayb
2015-09-14, 10:13 AM

This is a fun game.Let's see...Elan b. ibn ap di O'Fitzmactarquiniadesingssonescuvichczewskioğluezp oorszshvilis zoon

Peelee
2015-09-16, 03:11 PM
The twins are named

Screw what everyone else says, i love that movie. Ten points to you and zimmerwald.

137beth
2015-09-16, 04:45 PM
His last name is obviously McTarHelpI'mTrappedInAForumServerAndCanOnlySpeakWi thMyOwnVoiceOncePerTenYearsPleaseHelpquinsson.