PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Log: Crypt of Despair

Threadnaught
2015-09-04, 08:53 PM
Hallowed Rudisplorkers, forumites and Cheaters alike, I have a tale of woe to share thee.
This is all part of the Crypt of Despair module, please no spoilers guys.

Our party consisting of a 10th level version of Xamnim, without the Elf Bloodline or Legacy Item Familiar, but with Item Familiar and Raven Familiar.
That ******* Druid's level 5 Druid advanced to level 10 with a Deinonychus Companion.

Our characters were tasked with finding a cure for a King who had fallen ill, someone whom our characters had impressed by being such badasses in the past. The only cure was said to be located in the Crypt of Despair, easy enough to get to, but there was a catch. A Lich named Acererak had taken up residence there.

We started the game outside An Unnamed Village that Exists just to supply Adventurers with Gear for when they go to the Crypt of Despair. No seriously, its actual name was, just that. As we were told in game, in character. That ******* Druid's character stocked up on potions, while Xamnim picked up a quarterstaff to act as a short pole and some bowls for his magic spoon.
We had to hurry to a boat to travel to the Crypt of Despair though, as our DM (Circa) had informed us of a giant meteor from space that would kill our characters if we didn't make our way to the dungeon. The boatman takes us through some swamps and to a landing with a small featureless hill.

The is where the fun begins. Xamnim is a dirty coward in this game, also he's quite insane as he takes risks a coward wouldn't normally. He's just really curious and so he summons his Familiar in order to better see potential threats and a way inside the tomb. Who knows what horrors would lie within, the Crypt of Despair.
That ******* Druid advances the plot first, finding what looks like a possible entrance to a ruin, covered by a mound of dirt. She Wild Shapes into a Badger and burrows a path large enough for a Medium creature to crawl through. How the Deinonychus got through, I'll never know.
So inside, the Badger cannot see a thing, neither can her Animal Companion. Xamnim however, was intelligent enough to bring along a Lantern, he lit it and crawled through the tunnel into a room with a single exit hidden behind a pair of doors. Xamnim searched the room for traps, then Secret Doors and lastly he searched the doors for traps. Unfortunately, Xamnim is clumsy and fell into the doors pushing them a bit, which caused the entire ceiling to collapse in on the whole damn party. Xamnim was instantly brought to 0HP and his Familiar died, knocking him down a level losing another 5HP in in the process, Circa was generous so Xamnim didn't take crushing damage each round. That ******* Druid decided to rescue him, but tried digging into places he couldn't, eventually Xamnim had dropped to -8HP when that ******* Druid decided to Transmute Rock to Mud on the rocks killing Xamnim. Xamnim dropped to -9, that ******* Druid removed Xamnim from the mud, but he dropped to -10, so that ******* Druid dragged his fresh corpse out (still a Badger) and cast Reincarnate on Xamnim who had been a Gray Elf before dying.
Xamnim had been Reincarnated as an Orc, oh the horror, now he had actual muscles. While stripping his former body of his own equipment, Xamnim compared every part of his old body to his new one and he prefers his new body. It isn't too ugly, the parts that are less awesome than his previous body are overshadowed by his rippling muscles and he's able to carry around a little more than he used to. More HP too.

Xamnim as an Orc followed that ******* Druid's character into the Crypt once again, where he opened the door while stood to the side, all Xamnim saw was a blank wall behind the door. Someone had played a twisted joke on anyone coming here.
Deinonychus sensed something and ran outside... Somehow. We followed and it took us to two more entrances, both of which which that ******* Druid dug up, one was a relatively plain corridor, while the other had a mosaic with runes running along the floor. Xamnim, being a dirty coward, went down the plain corridor as it's the least likely to contain traps of any kind. He approaches the two doors at the end, cautiously looking for traps and feeling a pressure plate or whatever, he shifts his weight so it barely registers him. He sets off a trap which is a collapsing ceiling with a wall preventing escape, how original. He opens both doors and behind each is a blank wall so desperate he casts Blink to go Ethereal and run through the wall blocking him from exiting
The bad news is that he saw glimpses of Demons of all types and took damage from going through the wall due to becoming solid halfway though, the good news is he survived.

Entering the decorated corridor, Xamnim read some writing on the floor which read. And I apologise, but this is how the DM shared it with both players.

A
CE
R
ER
A
K
C
O
N
GR
A
T U L
A
T
ES
YO
U
O
N
Y
O U R
P O
W
ER
S
O
F
O
B
S
ER
V
A
T I O N
S
O
MA
K
E
O
F
T H I S
WHA
TE
VER
Y
OU
WISH,
FOR
Y
OU
WILL
BE
MINE
IN
THE
END
NO
MA
T
TER
WHA
T!
G
o
back
to
the
tormentor
or
thr
ough
the
ar
ch,
and
the
second
gr
eat
hall
y
ou
’ll
disco
v
er
S
hun
gr
een
if
you
can,
but
night

s
good
color
is
for
those
of
gr
eat
v
alor
I
f
shades
of
r
ed
stand
for
blood
the
wise
will
not
need
sacrifice
aught
but
a
loop
of
magical
metal—y
ou

r
e
w
ell
along
y
our
march.
T
wo
pits
along
the
way
will
be
found
to
lead
to
a
fortuitous
fall,
so
check
the
wall.
These
keys
and
those
ar
e
most
important
of
all,
and
bewar
e
of
trembling
hands
and
what
will
maul.
I
f
you
find
the
false
you
find
the
true
and
into
the
columned
hall
y
ou
’ll
come,
and
ther
e
the
throne
that

s
key
and
key
ed.
The
ir
on
men
of
visage
grim
do
mor
e
than
meets
the
view
er

s
ey
e.
Y
ou

v
e
left
and
left
and
found
my
T
omb
and
no
w
y
our
soul
will
die.

That ******* Druid's characted walked forward with her Companion and both fell into a Spiked Pit Trap. Xamnim tied a lasso and placed the loop around a painted box helped by a painting of two jackal-men and lowered himself down into the pit to save the woman who had given him his amazing new body.
He dragged that ******* Druid's character out of the pit and poured a potion down her throat to save her life and to save that ******* Druid from rerolling, he's wasted enough time on this character.
The Animal Companion had taken severe Constitution damage from the poison on the spikes in the pit. The Animal Companion made it out of the pit and recovered about half of the Constitution Damage thanks to a Lesser Restoration. Then it helped Xamnim open the painted box while taking a poisoned dart to the neck. Xamnim tied his rope around a small level he found inside the box, stood twenty feet away and pulled.

That is the story so far about my group's horrific journey into the tomb known as the Crypt of Despair. Please no spoilers. I'm told the Crypt of Despair is a nice easy module, not like that nasty Temple of Elemental Evil, so far it seems quite pleasant.

Sol Terra
2015-09-05, 04:49 AM
You missed Druid several times, so get my name right.

Plus I was wild shaped and it was pitch black so how can I save you like that.

I'm also the one who had to save you all the time.

Threadnaught
2015-09-05, 01:39 PM
You missed Druid several times, so get my name right.

Plus I was wild shaped and it was pitch black so how can I save you like that.

I'm also the one who had to save you all the time.

You fell into a spiked pit and started Dying. Shaddup. :smalltongue:

Granted, the only reason you were Dying is because Circa forgot about your Poison Immunity and you lost 20HP. I still saved you by planning ahead, I had a rope.

Circa
2015-09-18, 06:57 PM
Session Three concluded just now. No spoilers, I promise, except that I'm going to start keep a death count.
I'm letting Threadnaught write the details though, it's less work for me.