PDA

View Full Version : Question about Item Familiar spell slots

Windrammer
2015-09-04, 09:52 PM
" character with an item familiar may choose to invest a single spell slot in his familiar and gain a bonus spell slot in return. The single spell slot must be of the highest spell level he can cast, and the bonus spell slot is always two levels lower than the slot invested in the item."

As I'm reading it, it sounds like you lose a spell slot to gain a lower spell slot. What is the point of this? Is it at will or something?

And while I have your attention, I'll go ahead and say I want this familiar to be a staff for my wizard. However, I hate the notion of limited spell charges. I don't want a stick with arbitrarily limited, temporary power, I want a flavorful, consistent item. Are there any cool non-charge staffs I can use for this? Perhaps a wondrous item that happens to be a long piece of wood?

Cruiser1
2015-09-04, 10:21 PM
" character with an item familiar may choose to invest a single spell slot in his familiar and gain a bonus spell slot in return. The single spell slot must be of the highest spell level he can cast, and the bonus spell slot is always two levels lower than the slot invested in the item."
As I'm reading it, it sounds like you lose a spell slot to gain a lower spell slot. What is the point of this? Is it at will or something?
You spend one spell slot (inherent to you), and gain two spell slots (both attached to the item). If you give up a 5th level spell slot, then the item gains a 5th level slot and a 3rd level slot. Basically you gain a free spell slot 2 levels lower than your highest. However, both that bonus slot and one of your highest spell slots become attached to the item (which means they go away if you lose the item). Like most item familiar features, it's great if you have the item, but terrible if you lose it.

And while I have your attention, I'll go ahead and say I want this familiar to be a staff for my wizard. However, I hate the notion of limited spell charges. I don't want a stick with arbitrarily limited, temporary power, I want a flavorful, consistent item. Are there any cool non-charge staffs I can use for this?
Make it a runestaff (MIC) instead of a classic charged staff. Also if Pathfinder material is allowed, make it one of the PF rechargable staffs that you can recharge using your own spell slots.

Windrammer
2015-09-05, 03:07 AM
You spend one spell slot (inherent to you), and gain two spell slots (both attached to the item). If you give up a 5th level spell slot, then the item gains a 5th level slot and a 3rd level slot. Basically you gain a free spell slot 2 levels lower than your highest. However, both that bonus slot and one of your highest spell slots become attached to the item (which means they go away if you lose the item). Like most item familiar features, it's great if you have the item, but terrible if you lose it.

Where does it say that bit about gaining TWO slots?

And thanks for the Runestaff suggestion, I will be going with that.

Sliver
2015-09-05, 06:03 AM
You don't gain two, you gain one. You simply don't lose the one that is invested, unless you also lose the item.

If you ever lose the chosen item (have it removed from your possession for a continuous period of more than one day per level) or if the item is destroyed, you automatically lose 200 XP per level as well as all benefits derived from possessing the linked item (plus any resources you put into the item). If you recover the item, you regain these XP. You may replace a lost or destroyed item familiar after you have advanced one level, as if you were gaining an item familiar for the first time.

Resources you put in the item are still available to you.