PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Feats

Lysander
2007-05-11, 03:17 PM
Here are some anti-magic feats, ideal for a fighter or any other non-magic class that expects to face off against plenty of casters. Let me know if you think they're too power/not powerful enough and any ideas for what the prereqs should be.

Stubborn Will

If you fail a will save on a mind-affecting spell you may roll a second will save after five minutes of being controlled to escape the spell. You don't not receive further will saves to escape a spell if you fail on this second roll.

Arcane Absorption

Once per day upon failing a will or fortitude save against a spell you may choose to take 1d6 damage per level of the spell rather than suffer any of the spell's normal effects.

Enchantment Resistance

Any spell cast upon you has only 2/3rds its normal duration if you so choose. This does nothing against instantaneous or permanent spells.

Anguished Resistance
Prerequisite: 50hp base health or higher

When badly wounded, at 10hp or less, you gain +4 spell resistance.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-11, 03:19 PM
umm.....as written i would never take these...ever, the fourth one i wouldnt take even if it was the onlyl feat in the game, since as a fighter i dont get SR and only would have a SR 4 and thats darn useless

Lysander
2007-05-11, 03:23 PM
How about instead of 4 SR you gain +2 to will/fortitude saves?

And I grant that they all have specialized purposes and you wouldn't always want to use up feats on these. I think Arcane Absorption is pretty useful though, provided you have enough hp. It could mean the difference between staying human or getting turned into a newt.

brian c
2007-05-11, 04:19 PM
How about instead of 4 SR you gain +2 to will/fortitude saves?

And I grant that they all have specialized purposes and you wouldn't always want to use up feats on these. I think Arcane Absorption is pretty useful though, provided you have enough hp. It could mean the difference between staying human or getting turned into a newt.

Arcane Absorption is definitely looking like the best of those. Anguished Resistance is horribly underpowered; like Innis Cabal said, 4 SR is nothing, especially when you have 10hp or less remaining. If it was something like 10 SR at 1/2 your health and 15 at 1/4, that would be pretty good. As written, it would only be halfway decent for a monk, but when you have 10hp left you could just as easily get killed in melee than by a spell, especially if this is designed for melee classes to take.

Erk
2007-05-11, 09:41 PM
I agree with previous posters. These are, at present, enormous wastes of feat slots (except for Absorption, that might be fun). Howabout this? This way the abilities scale per level.

Stubborn Will [General]
Experience and practice has trained you to shrug off the effects of mind-altering magic, your very body rejecting the effects of the spell.
Benefits: If you fail a will save on a mind-affecting spell you may roll a second fortitude save after two rounds of being controlled to escape the spell. You don't not receive further saves to escape the spell if you fail on this second roll.
Special: A fighter may select Stubborn Will as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Arcane Absorption [General]
Your body has become further attuned to resisting magic, making you able to absorb raw magical energy. While this hurts, it neutralises spells.
Prerequisites: Stubborn Will
Benefits: Once per day per point of constitution bonus (minimum 1, maximum 5), upon failing a will or fortitude save against a spell you may choose to take 1d6 damage per level of the spell rather than suffer any of the spell's normal effects.
Special: A fighter may select Arcane Absorption as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Anguished Resistance [General]
As you take damage, your stubborn will and body unite, making you resistant to harmful magic. As you grow closer to death, your anger and will-to-live override nearly all magic.
Prerequisites: Stubborn Will, 50 bp base health or higher.
Benefits: When reduced to 1/2 max HP, you gain a bonus to spell resistance equal to your fortitude save. This doubles when you are reduced to 1/4 max HP.
Special: A fighter may select Anguished Resistance as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Lysander
2007-05-11, 10:24 PM
That's looking pretty good Erk. I especially like your fix to Stubborn Will, it'd be very useful for a fighter that has a low wisdom score.

Had an idea for another feat too:

Adaptive Spell Resistance

You gain +4 to your will and fortitude saves against future castings of any spell you have failed these saves against in the past five minutes. After five minutes you lose this increased protection.

Spell Sustenance

You are a latent sorceror and can gain some energy from the raw magic of spells designed to harm you. You are healed 1hp/per spell level of any harmful spell that is successfully cast on you. This cannot bring you above your maximum hp.

Erk
2007-05-12, 10:24 PM
spell sustenance sounds like it would oscillate between useless and overpowered.

Adaptive spell resistance sounds okay though. Limited use, but nice for the times it is used.

Triaxx
2007-05-14, 05:31 PM
Spell Sustenance

You are a latent sorceror and can gain some energy from the raw magic of spells designed to harm you. You are healed 1hp/per spell level of any harmful spell that is successfully cast on you. This cannot bring you above your maximum hp.

Interesting, but perhaps it should negate one point worth of damage instead of healing? So a blast of magic missile does 1d4+1 damage. The additional +1 for each hit is negated. Only if the negation exceeds the damaged done, should the healing occur.

---

An idea I cooked up while reading through:

Arcane Battering
Prereq:BAB+4, [Skill focus:Knowledge (Arcane), Weapon Focus(Any), ???]
Effects: Having trained to battle wizards, or battling wizards, you have learned that it's possible to deflect, or even reflect spells targeted at you with a magical weapon.

When attacked by a targetted spell, such as magic missile, you may attempt to swat aside the attack as if attacking a foe. The spell is considered to have AC equal to (10+spell level+caster INT modifier). Attempting to reflect the attack to it's source incurs a -4 penalty to the attack.

What I'm not sure of, is how to determine where it goes and what prereq's. Obviously a wizard may not have Weapon Focus, and a fighter might not take Skill focus:Knowledge (Arcane)

Erk
2007-05-14, 06:27 PM
As written, Arcane Battering makes you immune to almost any spell targetting you ;) a 20int wizard casting a level 5 spell gives the spell an AC of 20. A 10th level fighter (same level as a wiz who has level 5 spells) has a +10 to base attack bonus alone, meaning he can beat aside the spell 50% of the time. Add in his STR bonus of, say, +4, a weapon focus feat, and an enhancement bonus of +2 and he has to roll 3 or higher to bat the spell away and 7 or higher to reflect it back at the wiz.

needs a times/round limit and a much higher AC I think :) perhaps caster level + int bonus for a start but in our present example that still only gives the spell an AC of 25, which our fighter can defeat on 8 or better.

Triaxx
2007-05-15, 06:32 PM
Perhaps caster level and twice the spell level? So AC=(10+2xspell level+caster level+ Int Modifier) Or leave it at spell level, and use the INT score, rather than the modifier?

Would limiting it to weapon bonus and BAB help any?

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-15, 07:10 PM
You could always go the route of Deflect Arrows and give it a Reflex Save once/round.

Triaxx
2007-05-16, 11:28 AM
True, though then you just end up flooded by magic missiles. Particularly since I give all my enemy wizards Amulets of Horror, allowing them to spontaneously cast first, second and third level spells.

Neek
2007-05-16, 07:32 PM
Magic Missile is a bad example of that; you shouldn't be able to dodge or bounce it off. If you could, what'd be the point of that spell? Rather, allow it for Orb-type spell-attacks, and it allows you to deflect those with a weapon as per Deflect Arrows.

Triaxx
2007-05-17, 05:46 AM
Perhaps limit it to one attack per round? What Prereq?
---
Arcane Battering
Prereq:BAB+4, [Skill focus:Knowledge (Arcane), Weapon Focus(Any), ???]
Effects: Having trained to battle wizards, or battling wizards, you have learned that it's possible to deflect, or even reflect spells targeted at you with a magical weapon.

Once per round, when attacked by an orb-type spell, such as Chromatic Orb, you may attempt to swat aside the attack as if attacking a foe. The spell is considered to have AC equal to (10+2xspell level+caster level+ Int Modifier). Attempting to reflect the attack to it's source incurs a -4 penalty to the attack.

Elemental Deflection
Prereq:BAB+6, Arcane Battering
Effects: By enveloping yourself in an element, you have learned how to channel it elsewhere, though in a random direction. You may attempt to use an arcane batter to deflect a spell of the chosen element at a -4 penalty. Attempting to reflect the spell incurs a -8 penalty to the attack. This feat may be taken twice, with a different element each time.

Lysander
2007-05-18, 05:53 AM
How about intercepting the spell with your sword gives your sword a high chance of breaking?

Triaxx
2007-05-18, 01:43 PM
That's part of the reason I limited it to magical weapons, since a normal weapon is likely to break if used to fend off a magical attack. But you're right, it should definitely bust at least on a critical miss, as well as failing to deflect the attack.