PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect for my Wizard

Arakune
2015-09-05, 04:38 PM
Compared to 3.5 the spellcasting classes got nerfed something fierce, so I want to know about new ways to play this class until some prestige classes or 5E analogues come in.

Nifft
2015-09-05, 04:45 PM
5e Wizards are awesome.

Spacehamster
2015-09-05, 04:57 PM
Wizard´s are still amazing, all classes are to the most part, thats what´s good about
5E, everyone is useful and somewhat equal at least until high levels spells where
casters get bit more powerful. :)

Strill
2015-09-05, 05:09 PM
They're not nerfed quite as bad as it might seem. Yeah they get fewer spell slots, and concentration is a major limitation, but they also get some buffs to compensate.

For example, Spell DCs are no longer tied to spell level, so even your low-level spell slots can incapacitate powerful enemies. In addition, all classes are spontaneous casters, so you're far more versatile. Finally, you have ritual casting, which lets you cast certain out-of-combat utility spells without having them prepared or using a spell slot.

JellyPooga
2015-09-05, 05:38 PM
Wizards play pretty much the same as they always have. Versatility is still their greatest strength; they still have a spell for every situation. I guess they're a little more "blasty" and they don't need a Crossbow during those early levels due to cantrips being "at will" (though strictly speaking, a Crossbow will do more damage during those early days), but they're more or less what they always were.

One thing to note; your chosen School makes a bigger impact now. It's not just an extra spell slot, it's a whole package of unique abilities. Pay close attention to the features you get as a Diviner as opposed to an Enchanter, for example; each school offers very different abilities that will have a big impact on your play style.

ImSAMazing
2015-09-06, 02:51 AM
Wizards play pretty much the same as they always have. Versatility is still their greatest strength; they still have a spell for every situation. I guess they're a little more "blasty" and they don't need a Crossbow during those early levels due to cantrips being "at will" (though strictly speaking, a Crossbow will do more damage during those early days), but they're more or less what they always were.

One thing to note; your chosen School makes a bigger impact now. It's not just an extra spell slot, it's a whole package of unique abilities. Pay close attention to the features you get as a Diviner as opposed to an Enchanter, for example; each school offers very different abilities that will have a big impact on your play style.

True. Choose wise, my padawan.

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-07, 07:28 AM
A wizard has better damage spells and can still do much things out off combat. It is now more difficult to make the wizard OP but it's a very cool class. The school is a big difference now.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-09-07, 08:19 AM
A wizard has better damage spells and can still do much things out off combat. It is now more difficult to make the wizard OP but it's a very cool class. The school is a big difference now.Two nitpicks:

1. Wizards in 3.5 had metamagic, and damage/other effects that automatically scaled with caster level. They just had so much better things to do, that direct damage looked bad in comparison. Now that the rest got nerfed, damage doesn't look so bad after all.
2. The school matters a lot in Pathfinder, particularly if you go Divination (Foresight). A more limited but far more plentiful version of Portent, always act in the surprise round, and hey random luck bonus party buff as the cherry on top.

OP: Wizards are worse than in 3.5/PF. This is for the better; they still do quite well.

MaxWilson
2015-09-07, 10:45 AM
Compared to 3.5 the spellcasting classes got nerfed something fierce, so I want to know about new ways to play this class until some prestige classes or 5E analogues come in.

Short version: Blasting spells don't scale to high levels, but summoning spells are extremely strong due to Bounded Accuracy[1] and so are control spells. Animate Dead and Planar Binding let you break both concentration and action economies.

Also, there are some new spell types like "Reaction" spells that you should pay attention to, in particular Shield and Counterspell, and Absorb Elements from the elemental evil PDF. (Absorb Elements and Shield alone are enough to make Eldritch Knights the most durable kind of fighter.)

[1] "Bounded Accuracy" = CR 1/4 creatures are about as strong as CR 2 creatures which are about as strong as CR 5 creatures, etc. There's a noticeable gap between CR 1/4 and CR 5, but twelve CR 1/4 creatures will absolutely destroy a CR 5, generally speaking. So when a spell gives you the choice between more weaker creatures and a few stronger creatures, you generally want the weaker ones. E.g. Animate Objects, Tiny objects are the most dangerous and therefore usually the best.

coredump
2015-09-07, 11:31 AM
Also, if you are waiting for some '5E prestige class' to show up, I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't expect them to ever happen, and even if they do, not for some years....

JNAProductions
2015-09-07, 12:07 PM
*cough cough Homebrew has you covered on that cough cough*

Sorry, had an option that may or may not be viable based on your DM stuck in my throat.