PDA

View Full Version : How is Washington State for living?

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-05, 06:40 PM
Once again, I turn to the superbly honed hive mind of the Playground for anecdotal input. :smallbiggrin:

As the title says, how is Washington state for living?

I like growing a vegetable garden; I like the outdoors. I own guns and have no intention of giving them up (not trying to start a political debate here, just noting it as something that does have some bearing on where I live, CA being right out).

I'm looking for a fairly mild climate; somewhere I won't fry endlessly in the summer, but that has a summer longer than 2 months (after living in Wisconsin for 20 years, I'm sick to death of 2-3 month summers). A growing season suitable for cultivating something other than crabgrass and lichen would be nice.

Somewhere where there's a bit of economic activity, perhaps some interesting thing to see other than a frozen bar next to a road with a vast arch of freezing, wind-filled darkness stretching out for 100 miles in every direction, and maybe a store or two other than a partially stocked WalMart.

Does Washington fit any of this, in the opinion of those who have actually been there rather than just looking at its Wikipedia page? :smallbiggrin:

BannedInSchool
2015-09-05, 07:08 PM
Hmm, growing, check. Economic activity, check. Firearms, check. Growing marijuana in Washington it is, but you'll never see the sun again! :smallwink:

MoonCat
2015-09-05, 07:45 PM
Well, I'm biased, but I like it here! :smallbiggrin:

Western Washington has plenty of outdoors and generally a good climate for gardens. There are lots and lots of smaller local farms on the Olympic Peninsula, so there tends to be a surrounding culture that supports that. I don't know much about the possession of guns in-state, although I know more than a few people in my town who hunt as a way of life with their guns. And there are some shooting ranges in the area. (I really don't know much about guns. :smallredface:)

Regarding climate, Eastern Washington is pretty dry and hot, with less rain and flatter bits of ground. In the west, the alleged rain we have so much of is common in some places- Forks (that place with the vampire infestation) can get ten-twelve feet of rain a year, but areas within the rainshadow gets about one foot thanks to the Olympic Mountain Range. However, places with less rain don't get more sun, they just get solid grey skies or very thick fog.

http://i.imgur.com/K3Ly3pO.jpg
This road is going directly up a hill for another ten invisible blocks. This is a sort of medium-high level of fog. You can get more, but not too often.
http://i.imgur.com/M5f28PJ.jpg
This is an example of fog being sneaky. See how it creeps up behind its prey, the innocent Washington State Ferry, and prepares to pounce.

However, both areas are mild enough to support lots of growing things. I can't say much about the length of eastern summers, but on the Peninsula, it's already summery by mid-May and just now in the beginning of September, we still have our windows open during the days and some nights. The weather is entirely unpredictable however, the beginning of summer just marks that the general trend is now heat. For the last few weeks we've been getting heavy rain about once every three days for up to half an hour, which had been preceded by a drought. My mom's birthday in August was characterized by a windstorm so strong that two counties lost power. But in the hours/days before any after all of these incidents, it's sunny.

In terms of activity, there are lots of smaller cities dotting the area that are each pretty unique and do their own thing. We don't really do wind-filled darkness for a hundred miles unless you go out into the mountains/water/rainforest/desert/mesas/other, you're more likely to find small clusters of towns that are very self-contained, but not too far apart.

Overall, I think Washington is a lovely state, with a lot of variation within it if one needs to find that, and we've been rather misrepresented on the actual daylight front. :smallwink: People go a bit bonkers during the Super Bowl, but if you can stand seeing blue-and-green 12's everywhere, you'll be fine. Try not to pronounce any local names until you hear at least three people say them, because if you get it wrong, we will laugh at you. (How many syllables is Sequim? You're wrong. How do you say Tshletshy? You're really wrong.) And it's very beautiful here. Just don't mention Twilight to us. Ever.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the weed! Yes, there's that. Even though it's legalized, it doesn't really pervade all public areas, which was a problem I found San Francisco had, which is nice. If it's not something you're into, it wont bug you, I guess is the point.

And here's some phone-camera pictures to highlight how hard it is to take good pictures on a phone! But also what some areas near me look like! :smalltongue:
http://i.imgur.com/RlGKACu.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/zRE4SHS.jpg

Coidzor
2015-09-05, 08:31 PM
Aside from Seattle it has a nice balance between lower cost of living and good wages, IIRC.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-05, 09:34 PM
Well, it sure sounds positive so far. Thanks for the info! :smallsmile:

Palanan
2015-09-05, 10:12 PM
Come to Virginia. We have sunlight. :smalltongue:

We also have generally mild winters, warm and humid summers, lovely springtime and fall color on the Blue Ridge that's genuinely spectacular.

Plenty of growing things, and usually a decent amount of rain to support them. We have our urban areas, which might seem a bit crowded to you, and we also have a great deal of rural areas, which might also seem a little busy after what you've described. You and your guns will fit right in, and you'll meet quite a few people who feel the same way you do.

Occasionally we have a hurricane. When that's not happening, we have a tremendous variety of rivers and coastlines to explore, including nearly all of the Chesapeake Bay, or at least the best parts.

We also really, really like our colonial history. Not to mention Civil War history.

Also, no vampires. Or werewolves. That's got to be a selling point.

RayGallade
2015-09-05, 10:28 PM
Yes, I would say that Washington fulfills your criteria. Your garden should do nicely if the weather goes back to being normal. Avoid growing tomatoes though, we've found that they end up blighted whenever we try them. You shouldn't have to worry about long miles of empty area though, regardless of which side of the mountains you live on. Guns-wise, the state as a whole is relatively friendly to them, just avoid living in Seattle and you should be fine. Personal bias and all that, but I've found that Snohomish County seems a generally nice area to live in that would fit all your criteria.

Pluto!
2015-09-06, 12:17 AM
Western Washington's great if you don't mind a year-long drizzle. There are things to do in the mountains, on the water, in the cities. It's harder to keep things from growing than to start them (but that also goes for garden-unfriendly growth like fungi and slugs). Just don't expect a blue sky.

Eastern Washington is less fun, but actually has seasons. It's a lot like the midwest in that it's flat, agricultural and slow-paced. Job prospects are also considerably more narrow.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-06, 08:16 AM
Come to Virginia. We have sunlight. :smalltongue:

We also have generally mild winters, warm and humid summers, lovely springtime and fall color on the Blue Ridge that's genuinely spectacular.

Believe it or not, Virginia was a very close second in my scan of the U.S. for "Bulldog Psion adapted places." :smallbiggrin: I mostly opted for Washington over Virginia because I was looking for a long but mild summer, rather than a long, hot, muggy summer, and I'm worried that Virginia might tend more towards the latter.

Palanan
2015-09-06, 04:54 PM
If you're in the mountains the summers are probably mild enough, and the mountains are more rural in general. Some place like Staunton or Lynchburg might work for you.

Here on the coast, or along the margins and lower tributaries of the Chesapeake...gawd yes, the summers will be quite warm and humid. I grew up in Florida, so it's no big deal for me, but I've seen people from Arizona just about gasping in the thick wet air of deep July.

But again, that's in the coastal plain. You should check out the mountains, they'd likely be more in your line. In particular the Peaks of Otter, which are not only gorgeous, but were once believed by Thomas Jefferson to be the highest points in North America.

(And yes, that was before Lewis and Clark.)

Coidzor
2015-09-06, 10:40 PM
Believe it or not, Virginia was a very close second in my scan of the U.S. for "Bulldog Psion adapted places." :smallbiggrin: I mostly opted for Washington over Virginia because I was looking for a long but mild summer, rather than a long, hot, muggy summer, and I'm worried that Virginia might tend more towards the latter.

OTOH, pretty likely to have air conditioning in any home built or renovated in the last while in Virginia. In the Pacific Northwest, though? No so much.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-09-07, 08:34 AM
Also, no vampires. That's got to be a selling point.

They're mostly in Rhode Island and Vermont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_vampire_panic), historically.

TheThan
2015-09-07, 05:29 PM
Once again, I turn to the superbly honed hive mind of the Playground for anecdotal input. :smallbiggrin:

As the title says, how is Washington state for living?

I like growing a vegetable garden; I like the outdoors. I own guns and have no intention of giving them up (not trying to start a political debate here, just noting it as something that does have some bearing on where I live, CA being right out).

I'm looking for a fairly mild climate; somewhere I won't fry endlessly in the summer, but that has a summer longer than 2 months (after living in Wisconsin for 20 years, I'm sick to death of 2-3 month summers). A growing season suitable for cultivating something other than crabgrass and lichen would be nice.

Somewhere where there's a bit of economic activity, perhaps some interesting thing to see other than a frozen bar next to a road with a vast arch of freezing, wind-filled darkness stretching out for 100 miles in every direction, and maybe a store or two other than a partially stocked WalMart.

Does Washington fit any of this, in the opinion of those who have actually been there rather than just looking at its Wikipedia page? :smallbiggrin:

I feel compelled to say that despite popular belief you can own guns in California; heck you can even buy them, it's just a bit of a hassle. But you want to stay away because you will bake in the extreme heat of the 6-8 month summers we suffer through (coastal areas are much more mild especially northern California). I'd avoid moving out west for a little while if you can, right now it feels like the whole place is on fire. Best wait until fire season is over first.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-07, 06:05 PM
I feel compelled to say that despite popular belief you can own guns in California; heck you can even buy them, it's just a bit of a hassle. But you want to stay away because you will bake in the extreme heat of the 6-8 month summers we suffer through (coastal areas are much more mild especially northern California). I'd avoid moving out west for a little while if you can, right now it feels like the whole place is on fire. Best wait until fire season is over first.

Interesting -- so you can own guns in CA.

Yes, you're right about the fires; that may be another point for Virginia, I don't know. :smallwink:

Probably, it would be a good idea to visit both places before deciding, or even semi-deciding... :smallwink:

BannedInSchool
2015-09-07, 06:26 PM
Maybe Mythbusters should have tackled that myth. :smallwink:

TheThan
2015-09-08, 01:05 PM

Yeah I know, weird ain’t it?

Maybe Mythbusters should have tackled that myth. :smallwink:

Haha, they’ve already had guns on their show in the past, so it they’ve sort of already did it.

I don’t think fire is usually a problem in the northwest. Right now they’re under a drought that’s making their fire season particularly bad; at least from my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong). California goes through a drought cycle, so it comes and goes on a fairly regular basis, right now we’re in a pretty bad drought so fire season is really bad right at the moment.
And yes we have a season for fire, (summer time).

The best thing to do is to research the state(s) you’re considering moving to. Check up on the climate (since that was mentioned), typical political disposition, statewide economics, culture, etc. you want to make an informed decision so you don't end up moving somewhere and hating it.

MoonCat
2015-09-08, 02:30 PM
I don’t think fire is usually a problem in the northwest. Right now they’re under a drought that’s making their fire season particularly bad; at least from my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong). California goes through a drought cycle, so it comes and goes on a fairly regular basis, right now we’re in a pretty bad drought so fire season is really bad right at the moment.
And yes we have a season for fire, (summer time).

Yes, the fire Washington is having is highly unusual, we typically don't have a 'fire season' at all. It's thanks to that drought, wich is fortunately abating somewhat at the moment.

BannedInSchool
2015-09-08, 05:09 PM
Haha, they’ve already had guns on their show in the past, so it they’ve sort of already did it.
Yes, that was the joke. They killed a van with an anti-tank rifle after finding that phonebooks did make it fairly bulletproof versus small arms. Then there's shooting into water, in a vacuum, at a merry-go-round, into ice, with ice bullets, with meat bullets, shooting yourself with a triple ricochet, and other things. Okay, I think they had to leave the state to shoot the minigun, but the rest was still in California, if not making a mess of their own shop in SF. :smallsmile:

The Fury
2015-09-09, 12:51 AM
OTOH, pretty likely to have air conditioning in any home built or renovated in the last while in Virginia. In the Pacific Northwest, though? No so much.

I can offer some confirmation of this. I've lived in a number of places in Oregon-- none of them had air conditioning. None of my family that live in the are have had air conditioning either. Southern Washington is very similar to Northern Oregon climate-wise, so I imagine it's much the same.

I don’t think fire is usually a problem in the northwest. Right now they’re under a drought that’s making their fire season particularly bad; at least from my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong).

Yes, that's absolutely correct. Normally we do have a "fire season" but it's typically something that fire crews can contain. This year though... Fires in Eastern Washington got so bad that there was a day where all of outside smelled like a campfire and was covered in smokey haze-- and I live in Portland! Not even the same state!

That said, the part of Washington that I'm most familiar with is Vancouver. Vancouver's nice. Lots of trees and probably a lot more sunshine than you think. Vancouver is also where the first Burgerville opened. Burgerville is a Pacific Northwest-specific chain of fast food places. As fast food goes, it's actually not bad. There's an emphasis on seasonal and locally grown ingredients, Walla Walla onions, Tillamook cheese and such.

MoonCat
2015-09-09, 03:47 AM
Yes, that's absolutely correct. Normally we do have a "fire season" but it's typically something that fire crews can contain. This year though... Fires in Eastern Washington got so bad that there was a day where all of outside smelled like a campfire and was covered in smokey haze-- and I live in Portland! Not even the same state!

That said, the part of Washington that I'm most familiar with is Vancouver. Vancouver's nice. Lots of trees and probably a lot more sunshine than you think. Vancouver is also where the first Burgerville opened. Burgerville is a Pacific Northwest-specific chain of fast food places. As fast food goes, it's actually not bad. There's an emphasis on seasonal and locally grown ingredients, Walla Walla onions, Tillamook cheese and such.

Indeed. Didn't the state have to call in firefighters from New Zealand of all places to help fight the blazing inferno? It's beena strange summer.

Is Burgerville something from the South-southeast of the PNW? I've never seen one.

snowblizz
2015-09-09, 04:25 AM
That said, the part of Washington that I'm most familiar with is Vancouver.

But... but... Vancouver is in Canada...:smalleek: ?

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-09, 06:22 AM

The Canadians appear to have "borrowed" the name. :smallwink:

(Actually, the American place was incorporated 29 years earlier. So there. :smallbiggrin: )

The Fury
2015-09-09, 10:20 AM
Indeed. Didn't the state have to call in firefighters from New Zealand of all places to help fight the blazing inferno? It's beena strange summer.

Is Burgerville something from the South-southeast of the PNW? I've never seen one.

I hadn't heard that New Zealanders were brought in, I'd believe it though. The National Guard was brought in and for the first time in the state's history the governor put out a call for extra volunteers.

Burgervilles are in southwest Washington and in northwest Oregon. I don't think either state has them east of the Cascades.

MoonCat
2015-09-09, 09:09 PM

The Washingtonian Vancouver began as Fort Vancouver for the Hudson's Bay Company, and had a pretty big part in the fur trade of the time. Both the fort and the Canadian city were named for the same dude, although Washington's Vancouver is older by a few decades.

And as a perk of living closer to Vancouver B.C. while still being from Washington, I get to be possessive of both cities. :smalltongue:

I hadn't heard that New Zealanders were brought in, I'd believe it though. The National Guard was brought in and for the first time in the state's history the governor put out a call for extra volunteers.

Burgervilles are in southwest Washington and in northwest Oregon. I don't think either state has them east of the Cascades.

Yep. This (http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/8282015021097.jpg) was taken somewhere in-state this summer. (Warning, board-censored language in picture.)

Oh cool, I'll keep an eye out for those next time I visit y'all southerners. :smallwink:

Palanan
2015-09-09, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion
Yes, you're right about the fires; that may be another point for Virginia, I don't know.

As a rule, Virginia doesn't have anything remotely like the widespread wildfires they're having out west. We tend to have more issues with the opposing element, in particular hurricanes, but those are primarily along the coast.

And yes, we do have air conditioning. Apart from a few mountain cabins, I've never come across a home in Virginia that didn't.

Originally Posted by Mooncat
Indeed. Didn't the state have to call in firefighters from New Zealand of all places to help fight the blazing inferno?

Australia and New Zealand, about seventy all told.

Apparently American fire crews went down to Oz for a really serious fire in about 2009, and now the Australian crews feel it's an opportunity to return the favor. Good on 'em.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-10, 05:57 AM
As a rule, Virginia doesn't have anything remotely like the widespread wildfires they're having out west. We tend to have more issues with the opposing element, in particular hurricanes, but those are primarily along the coast.

On the other hand, isn't there a lot of mountaintop removal mining up in those formerly picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains? :smallfrown:

And yes, we do have air conditioning. Apart from a few mountain cabins, I've never come across a home in Virginia that didn't.

In a way, that's kind of ominous. :smallbiggrin: Sounds like it's absolutely necessary to have air conditioning, or boil. Not too great, potentially, for a guy who wants to spend several hours outside every day during daylight hours... :smallwink:

Australia and New Zealand, about seventy all told.

Apparently American fire crews went down to Oz for a really serious fire in about 2009, and now the Australian crews feel it's an opportunity to return the favor. Good on 'em.

That is quite inspiring. Interestingly, the guy I'm renting from works for the National Forest Service and has spent most of the summer out in Washington fighting fires. He likes doing it because he gets a hefty "out of state bonus" because it's so far from Wisconsin.

factotum
2015-09-10, 06:30 AM
In a way, that's kind of ominous. :smallbiggrin: Sounds like it's absolutely necessary to have air conditioning, or boil. Not too great, potentially, for a guy who wants to spend several hours outside every day during daylight hours... :smallwink:

If Virginia's too hot for you, you should consider moving to the UK--we very rarely have a problem with it being too hot. :smallsmile:

Peelee
2015-09-20, 11:05 AM
If Virginia's too hot for you, you should consider moving to the UK--we very rarely have a problem with it being too hot. :smallsmile:

Ya know, I'd actually love to live in the UK. Wife isn't too hot on it, though. Also, the climate shock would be a bit much for me. Trade in hot and sunny for rainy and more rainy.

Do you guys get free coke refills in restaurants? That's amake-or-break issue right there.

Bulldog Psion, try Alabama! For realsies, Birmimgham is really nice (if you live in South Greater Birmingham Area, that is). Good weather, dont think a single structure bigger than a breadbox doesn't have air conditioning. No worries or hassles on the guns. And the government is so corrupt they've actually made corruption into a functioning system. What's not to love?

factotum
2015-09-20, 01:42 PM
Do you guys get free coke refills in restaurants? That's amake-or-break issue right there.

Depends on the restaurant. Some I've been in do that, certainly, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

TheThan
2015-09-22, 12:52 PM

Yeah, we’ve had smoky air where I live for about a month or so. There’s a big wild fire near here that’s particularly hard to contain, it’s in a national park in the Sierras, down in steep ravines and generally rough terrain, fire crews can’t really get to it. But thanks to cooler day time temps and a light rain a week or so ago, the fire’s getting under control. There's also a fire up in wine country that took out some buildings and killed a few people. Despite being smaller than the fire near me (i use that term near loosely, I'm not in danger of being evacuated), they've declared a state of emergency for it. Gotta protect those wine grapes I guess.

TechnOkami
2015-09-22, 01:15 PM
As another Californian on these here boards, can confirm:

-Californians CAN own guns, it's just annoying to do so, let along making guns.

-Nor-Cal is more fiery than Disney's Hades' hair right now.

-Nor-Cal weather is particularly dumb on the nice scale, especially near coastal regions.

-We are the mother load of wine as Texas is the mother load of meat.

(I live in the Bay Area [San Jose] for those interested.)

Edit: Oh ffs, I always post as the first post of a new page on threads. It's an uncanny habit.